Any boosters available for Thai persons anywhere in Bangkok at this time?

Enzian

My gf has had two Pfizer and for herself would not get a booster, but she's 42 and I'm 83, so she says she is open to a booster so as to reduce the chance of giving the virus to me (I've had 5 shots, but still had a mild case after #4); is there anywhere she can go? Thanks, and sorry if this has already been covered, I wasn't sure where to look.

Of course. Boosters  are readily available at pretty much every hospital....not necessarily Pfizer but there  can be an  advantage to mixing vaccines. 

In Bankok tjere was a vacvine center at the Bang Sue station but I am not sure if it is still open.

The varioys private hosputals fo it, Med Park is especially known ss easy place to walk on and get it. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Boosters  are readily available

And (I should have added) are what's available said to be the latest mRNA for the latest variants (which I got on doc's recommendation in the US in August) or the same as what's been available for a year or more? Thanks!

11 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Of course. Boosters  are readily available at pretty much every hospital....not necessarily Pfizer but there  can be an  advantage to mixing vaccines. 

In Bankok tjere was a vacvine center at the Bang Sue station but I am not sure if it is still open.

The varioys private hosputals fo it, Med Park is especially known ss easy place to walk on and get it. 

You sure. I don't know about Bangkok but nothing available any where in Pattaya being widely reported in news and Facebook forums 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, whereyougo said:

You sure. I don't know about Bangkok but nothing available any where in Pattaya being widely reported in news and Facebook forums 

My wife and her brother had pfizer boosters at the government hospital in Chonburi a couple of days ago.

You would normally need to be registered at a government hospital to be eligible. There are only 2 in Pattaya and I have heard the one in Soi Bukhao is not very friendly, may be worth asking at Naklua.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Enzian said:

And (I should have added) are what's available said to be the latest mRNA for the latest variants (which I got on doc's recommendation in the US in August) or the same as what's been available for a year or more? Thanks!

The newer vaccines are not available. Only the same as before. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/30/2022 at 10:40 AM, Enzian said:

so she says she is open to a booster so as to reduce the chance of giving the virus to me

Did she explain to you how her "vaccinations prevent the transmission" of the virus from her to you?    I thought vaccinations just, generally, mitigated the worst effects of covid for the person vaccinated.   Which is the vaccine that now prevents the virus's transmission to others?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Which is the vaccine that now prevents the virus's transmission to others?

If a vaccine prevents the virus from taking hold in one's body during an encounter, then one may not pass it to another. You might disagree.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Enzian said:

If a vaccine prevents the virus from taking hold in one's body during an encounter, then one may not pass it to another. You might disagree.

Are you saying that a vaccinated person cannot transmit the virus...or that the chances of them transmitting the virus to others is lessened by virtue of their being vaccinated?  Is this new science?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:
13 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You're saying that being vaccinated prevents the transmission of the virus to others, as the OP's wife thinks, to which my comment related?  

I am saying that being vaccinated reduces (but does not vompletely eliminate) the risk of transmitting ghe virus to others. 

Ok, I'm saying that being vaccinated does not prevent the transmission of the virus also.  We agree.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I am saying that being vaccinated reduces (but does not vompletely eliminate) the risk of transmitting ghe virus to others. 

In the first couple of months post vaccination. circulating antibodies will usually prevent the virus from taking hold. Risk of transmission to others at that point is very low (but not zero).

After that antibodies gradually subside but cellular immunity remains. Infection can take hold but the body is able to mount a quicker and better defense than the unimmunuzed, which translates to a shorter duration of illness and lower  peak viral levels. Which means less infectious (not non-infectious) and for a shorter period of time. 

A booster does not provide long-lasting protection, according to this study:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.11.29.22282916v1

A breakthrough infection provides longer lasting protection. Bearing in mind the OP's wife has very likely had a breakthrough infection (maybe at the same time as the OP), there probably wouldn't be much real-world benefit to the OP if his wife got the booster. Some small benefit maybe, but not much.

Available at many district medical centres the wife says... We went for our booster (Pfizer) a couple of weeks ago at the Bangkok Youth Centre Thai-Japanese at Din Daeng as it's fairly close to us. Free and well organised - I think it's only weekends at that location

google "Bangkok thai-japanese youth centre" and you'll get it if that's handy for you (Din Daeng and Rama 9)

Edited by coops
  • Thanks 1

On 12/31/2022 at 10:51 AM, Sheryl said:

The newer vaccines are not available. Only the same as before. 

This certainly the case as of now and to be clear we are talking about the bivalent vaccines which are highly recommended for vulnerable groups as boosters.I haven't looked up the reference but I certainly remember several months ago Government spokesmen undertaking that these would be available in Thailand in due course.

What's puzzling to me (perhaps it shouldn't be) is the total lack of information on the subject from sources that should be up to date on it.Specifically when very approximately will these vaccines be available in Thailand? Nobody seems to know.Perhaps there's a feeling that Covid is done and dusted.Who knows?

Incidentally congratulations to Greg Watkins of the British Chamber who has been awarded the MBE specifically for services to British nationals in Thailand during the Covid-19 epidemic. Some will remember the unhelpful and actually rather lazy position taken by the departing British Ambassador on the question of vaccines.He seemed to think that "getting assurances" from the Thai authorities was all that was needed.The situation was saved by a more vigorous and empathetic new Ambassador, Mark Gooding, in concert with the British Chamber in obtaining vaccinations for those who could not get them elsewhere.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jayboy said:

This certainly the case as of now and to be clear we are talking about the bivalent vaccines which are highly recommended for vulnerable groups as boosters.I haven't looked up the reference but I certainly remember several months ago Government spokesmen undertaking that these would be available in Thailand in due course.

What's puzzling to me (perhaps it shouldn't be) is the total lack of information on the subject from sources that should be up to date on it.Specifically when very approximately will these vaccines be available in Thailand? Nobody seems to know.Perhaps there's a feeling that Covid is done and dusted.Who knows?

Government has decided not to order any additional foreign vaccines.

It is nto yet clear if they will permit private hospitals to order them.

26 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Government has decided not to order any additional foreign vaccines.

It is nto yet clear if they will permit private hospitals to order them.

Thank you.Existing stocks will presumably shortly be exhausted or time barred.Going forward, is Government going to require all vaccines (and improved vaccines) to be produced in Thailand and is there a domestic capacity to do so? If an awareness develops - as it has in the USA and Europe - that vulnerable groups need bivalent vaccines, it will be hard to resist pressure to import.

Anyway it will be interesting to see exactly what the official confirmation says.

On 1/2/2023 at 3:37 PM, thaichina said:

Hi,

Anyone knows where to get a bosster in Sathorn area. I went to 2 hospitals, BNH and another one, both didn t offer a booster and didn t know where to get one.

Thanks

MedPark Hospital offers Pfizer (the original version, not the bivalent).  Here is the link where you can sign-up:  https://medparkhospital.jotform.com/itmedpark/MedparkPfizerGroup

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Y Chang said:

MedPark Hospital offers Pfizer (the original version, not the bivalent).  Here is the link where you can sign-up:  https://medparkhospital.jotform.com/itmedpark/MedparkPfizerGroup

MedConsult Asia has Moderna if that is preferred. https://www.medconsultasia.com/

Walk ins are accepted but call first to make sure they still have in stock

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2023 at 4:38 PM, Y Chang said:

Thank for the link!

As I understand, my mother in law who is not thai and on retirement visa doesn t qualify to get the vaccine based on the list.

1 hour ago, thaichina said:

Thank for the link!

As I understand, my mother in law who is not thai and on retirement visa doesn t qualify to get the vaccine based on the list.

What on earth gives you that impression? The page specifically refers to ID card OR passport and expat is one of the categories of persons on the list.

Many, many retired expats (including me) have been vaccinated at MedPark.

2 hours ago, thaichina said:

Thank for the link!

The Pfizer vaccines at MedPark is available to foreigners.  I just got mine there.  Please try again! 

39 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

What on earth gives you that impression? The page specifically refers to ID card OR passport and expat is one of the categories of persons on the list.

Many, many retired expats (including me) have been vaccinated at MedPark.

When I click on Expat, it is requitred to provide corporate name which she doesn t have as she retired. I saw you can use passport number.