POLL: Do you think Brexit is a success or failure?

Scott

Do you think Brexit is a success or a failure?  

118 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Per the request of a member this poll is to look at the difference in opinion about Brexit for those reside in the UK as opposed to those who live primarily as an expat.  Feel free to leave a comment.  

1 minute ago, RayC said:

I'm pretty sure that the UK also had summers and winters when it was a member of EU????????

It was a  reference to the favoured "Sunny uplands" quote and added to the current winter conditions  in the UK , I just thought that I'd get the "Sunny uplands"  catch phrase in first.

Rather poetic, I thought , combining the current UK weather conditions  and the economic predictions of Brexit

7 hours ago, puchooay said:

Far too early to tell.

5 years is the cycle for general elections. Generally to allow time for policies to be implemented and make an impact.

Brexit is coming up for 3 years. However, due to Covid it would be prudent to wait more than another 2 years to decide.

I would say 2026 would be a good time to discuss failure or success.

You may be right about it being too early to tell, but all the countries are facing the same challenges with Covid, supply chain issues and the energy related issues.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, puchooay said:

Far too early to tell.

5 years is the cycle for general elections. Generally to allow time for policies to be implemented and make an impact.

Brexit is coming up for 3 years. However, due to Covid it would be prudent to wait more than another 2 years to decide.

I would say 2026 would be a good time to discuss failure or success.

Interestingly 2026 is the date when the UK must renegotiate the temporary trade agreement it has with the EU.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Statistics can be easily manipulated.

I prefer something I can see for myself.

As for economists ......

which of them predicted a 2 year COVID world shutdown?

or a war and sanctions against Russia?

or the collapse of financial institutions that were too big to fail?

All of them predicted a 2 years shutdown based on the experience from the Spanish Flu.

Statistics is a science of probability. A poll that predicted a certain out come by a tiny fraction is not wrong when the opposite outcome eventuates.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, puchooay said:

Excellent news. 

That'll be a good time to discuss and reflect. See you then.

Although its not actually a renegotiation of temporary agreements   , it is actually just a five year review of a permeant agreement .

The first review of the U.K -E.U trade agreement will take place in 2025 and first annual fishing quota negations begin in 2026 .

Shows how desperate  remainers are when they hope it will lead to the UK joining the E.U and regard them as renegotiations, when they are just reviews 

Important upcoming dates relating to EU Exit, including the introduction of checks and controls, and the Assembly’s democratic consent vote on the Protocol on Ireland/Northern Ireland.

Dates Actions 31 December 2023 UK to introduce its new regime for border import controls. 31 December 2023 Under the Retained EU Law Bill, the majority of retained EU law would expire, unless preserved. 31 December 2024 By this date, the first vote will take place in the Northern Ireland Assembly on the continued application of Articles 5-10 of the Protocol on Ireland/Northern Ireland, as outlined in the democratic consent mechanism. Read our explainer on the consent mechanism. 31 December 2024 Businesses need to start using the UK's new product safety marking - UKCA Conformity Assessed (UKCA). Under the Protocol, the CE marking will continue to be recognised for goods sold in Northern Ireland. 31 December 2025 First review of the EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement, to take place every five years. 30 June 2026 Adjustment period for fishing ends, annual negotiations on access to fishing waters begin.

http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/assembly-business/brexit-and-beyond/timeline-and-key-documents/

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The polls are going exactly how I thought they would go and confirms my suspicions that the huge majority of posters who think that Brexit is a failure have never even been to the UK , or at best, just go there for a minimal amount of time for a short holiday to keep their pension payments at UK levels and not the Thai living rates .

They don't live in the UK and just get their opinion from anti Brexit news outlets who post biased reports . 

Their main concern is the Pound/Baht exchange rate and I expect they would be in favour of Brexit if the Pound went back to to the 1998 exchange rate , 70 odd Baht instead of 40 

Erm, looking at the poll, and I am, a majority of those who do spend a lot of time in U.K. have voted to show brexit has failed. 

Not that it matters as there is plenty of evidence, as opposed to alleged anecdotes, to show the negative impact of brexit has had on the Uk’s economy.

So it really doesn’t matter in the slightest where anyone lives. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Something we won't be sure about, either way, for some time.

The poll really should not be asking people if Brexit has failed or not. Far too early to know. That's why I didn't vote.

The poll should be asking about whether Brexit has been a positive or negative action, thus far.

Do not try to misrepresent my post by partial quoting. 

If you want a different poll then set one up.

No one is asking you to “contribute” to this thread. 

Edited by Bluespunk