Uproar over senior Thai civil servant’s treatment of junior official

snoop1130

This type of Senior to Junior or subordinate behavior was and in some parts of Asia quite common.  The only difference is now we are in the digital age.  A generation ago even in S. Korea it was common for the boss or manager to strike a subordinate with a fist or even kick them for poor performance or even perceived insubordination.  The difference in other parts of Asia is “you don’t do it while it is being recorded or broadcast in real time.”  

It goes back to the “carrot or stick” approach or some will even call it “tough love”.  Also, I come from Asian culture and “bullying” is not the same as the West defines it.  At an Asian workplace employees line up in formation(just like in the Army) at the beginning of their <deleted>s and the boss or manager usually motivates them by giving them essentially a chewing out.  

When this Kerfuffle has passed things will go back to normal.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

The whole society is built on inferiors and superiors.  The elite patronise/bully the lower classes; the inferiors accept the world's refusal in advance.  No wonder democracy will never catch on here.

Great statement.  I have come into contact with many rich and successful people who are modest, humble and generous.  I have yet to meet on in Asia or SE Asia.  

23 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Great statement.  I have come into contact with many rich and successful people who are modest, humble and generous.  I have yet to meet on in Asia or SE Asia.  

You need to get out more, then.   Just because they avoid you doesn't mean that they don't exist.

14 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You need to get out more, then.   Just because they avoid you doesn't mean that they don't exist.

I never said "they do not exist".  If you read what exactly what I said it was "I have not yet met" Not exactly the same as "don't exist".  So there is hope???

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1