Pattaya: "Popular" British pensioner gunned down on way home after just returning from UK Xmas visit

webfact

"There he bought two tins of baked beans, a loaf of bread and half a roast chicken."

Is any of the above really relevant?

Does it mean that he was gunned down because he bought too many beans or not enough chicken?

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, allanos said:

Really doesn't sound like a pre-planned "hit". Who would be lying in wait

for the victim if he stopped off randomly somewhere to buy a few

groceries?

Hits are more likely to be front on, on a pedestrian target, and not

shooting at someone riding away down a soi. Even with three shots,

the shooter cannot be certain of having made a "kill".

Given the place of the killing, it seems to me that the girlfriend's

involvement can be ruled out.

It appears more likely to be a road-rage "revenge" shooting, or

resulting from an argument in, or close to, the store where the

goods were bought. More questioning of the shop-keeper is

called for, and which, no doubt, the cops are busy with.

In my view, a long-shot (no pun intended), is that this is a hit

ordered from England, and that Mr Roger(s) was followed

by the perpetrator. There is no evidence for this, of course,

and there may never be, and the thought may be extreme.

We are all just putting our best theories forward.

Sherlock got nothing on you. babe!

• Love It 1

I am unsure why everyone keeps talking about this an 20k. In baht or GPB no less. 

In financial cases, it is about the will and estate of the victim. Which can be rather substantial for anyone who happened to buy a house, stocks, bonds or almost any asset in the 80's or 90's. Because in the proceeding 30 years, we've experienced the biggest financial ponzi bubble in human history and it continues today. 

For some twisted ppl, the bigger the prize is, the more likely they are to hatch plans. 

The victim randomly drove down Khao Makok road, which rules out someone lying in wait, unless it was a random killing. Not even the Thai GF would have known which route home he would have taken.

The killer most likely followed the victim from some point on Soi Buakhow or later. The detour to Phratumnak makes it more likely that the killer followed after the stop in Phratumnak. So, this line of reasoning points to a stranger encountering the victim at that point, and resolving to kill him. That doesn't seem likely.

The unusual circumstances point in the direction of a random shooting by someone ensconced on Khao Makok road. If that is the case, we will see more.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, petermik said:

The latest information I have is the police suspect a road rage incident

I'm surprised that there are not more of these road rage issues.

I've been driving the Thai roads for decades, most times I hear and aggressive long blast of the horn or a lunatic yelling it's a foreigner.

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

When I read such speculation as there has been on this forum I can only question the degree of toxicity some must have encountered in the past that then then judge everything and everyone else on their own poisonous experiences and suspicious... 

...That a number of posters are immediately pointing the finger towards the carer leads one to suspect that they themselves in the past have been such poor judges of character they have made terrible choices or they contributed to the toxicity they find themselves influenced by.

Greatest example of multiple  ad hominem I have seen so far. 

6 hours ago, sambum said:

"He said he heard 3 shots within a ten second timeframe." But according to the report he was sleeping?

So he wasn't sleeping and had woken up! (Not being pedantic, just demonstrating every sentence even, is open to differing interpretations)

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, KannikaP said:

OK, let's discuss it. You posted ' there may have been as much as 20,000 quid or more at his residence, that is motive to me...........financial'

You are correct there, but maybe there wasn't that much, if any. Discuss this please.

You can bring a max off 10.000 with you in the plane, legally. 
land he is a pensioner,, I thought you can live good from this. 
just gessing but it’s no random shooting. 

20 hours ago, smedly said:

either an identity error (which I doubt)

or someone had something to gain likely financial, I know were I'd be looking, just back from home in the UK I know some people will bring cash with them, there may have been as much as 20,000 quid or more at his residence, that is motive to me...........financial

RIP

what a load of rubbish, 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, LennyW said:

Probably completely random, take a drive around these back roads of Huay Yai, a great many of the road signs are full of bullet holes!

If the statement from the supposedly sleeping security guard is accurate, that he heard several shots over a ten second period, it sounds more like a deliberate hit. Ten seconds is a long time to stand around firing shots at someone.

Very sad indeed, my condolences. Would like to know the angle of the shots...that is, was the shooter directly behind or waiting/hidden on the side of the road? Perhaps the police know the answer after studying videos.

1 hour ago, gerritkaew said:

You can bring a max off 10.000 with you in the plane, legally. 
land he is a pensioner,, I thought you can live good from this. 
just gessing but it’s no random shooting. 

A max 'off' which currency, THB or GBP? 

For how long do you think can you 'live good' on whatever amount that may be?

9 hours ago, sambum said:

"There he bought two tins of baked beans, a loaf of bread and half a roast chicken."

Is any of the above really relevant?

Does it mean that he was gunned down because he bought too many beans or not enough chicken?

Maybe the assassin was waiting for that chicken the last one,the victim taking it was such a loss of face it could only end one way?

21 hours ago, dddave said:

Such pointless and cruel speculation.  This being Thailand it could just as easily been somebody angry because he looked at him the wrong way or some incident on the roadway.  A guy once chased me down and threatened me with a knife because I got in his way somehow.

According to the news, that is most likely what happened, RIP to the poor guy !

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

If the statement from the supposedly sleeping security guard is accurate, that he heard several shots over a ten second period, it sounds more like a deliberate hit. Ten seconds is a long time to stand around firing shots at someone.

The local tooled up yabba heads are not trained marksmen!

10 hours ago, Farang Thay said:

"Em", 23, a hotel security man, said that he had been sleeping 300 meters away.

????????????

It did not say he was on duty, just stated he was a security guard, no hotels in that area so most likely at home in his house.