Demining officer killed, another injured in blast near Thai-Cambodian border

webfact

image.jpeg

A member of the Thailand Mine Action Centre (TMAC) was killed and another injured in a landmine explosion, as they led a team of forest rangers on a patrol in Phnom Dong Rek Wildlife Sanctuary near the Thai-Cambodian border yesterday (Thursday).

According to Chaiwat Limlikhitaksorn, director of the 9th Conservation Area Management Office in the north-eastern border province of Ubon Ratchathani, one of the two TMAC members, Sgt Akkraphon Phuvadonworanat, accidentally stepped on a landmine, one of many planted along the porous border during the armed conflict between the two countries.

He said that the sergeant suffered serious injuries and was pronounced dead on arrival at Khun Han District Hospital in Si Sa Ket province.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/demining-officer-killed-another-injured-in-blast-near-thai-cambodian-border/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-01-06

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

The reason I strongly react to this tragedy is that my Daughters best friend is married to an ex Australian Army engineer who has been clearing mines in Cambodia for the past years and I hope it never happens to him.

Land mines are a very dirty part of warfare and should be universally banned.

Edited by PJPom
Additional info
  • Like 1