Buriram: Many victims bitten by "mad"  Thai street dog "foaming at the mouth" - rabies fears

webfact

27 minutes ago, sandyf said:

It would be a different story if the bike had hit the dog, they would be queing up to claim ownership, and compensation.

Learning fast from the west.

In her case the hospital reported the bite/bike accident to the police who followed up, but took the 'non-owners' word that it was just a dog they fed for years that lived on their property. 

I asked in a good humoured way if the  policeman could just shoot it; response he agreed it would be better for local people if it 'went away'

It did, unofficially.

Severe bites such on the stomach or a vein could require a Human rabies immune globulin (HRIG) is administered only once, at the beginning of anti-rabies prophylaxis, to previously unvaccinated persons.

Which might not be available if/when it happens to you.  That is why you should get vaccinated against rabies if you are living in SE asia.  There are cases in India of people getting all the shots and still dying from rabies. In India the stray dog situation is much worse.

When you start reading the data; it is lot easier to catch rabies than you might realize. A scratch or lick from a dog, cat, monkey or donkey is all that is needed.  Again, the vaccine is thought to be highly effective for at least 20 years if not a life time.

1 hour ago, keithkarmann said:

Very little sympathy as this Thailand's way of life. Any attempt to try and control the situation is met with anger. Let it carry on until someone in charge does something about it. The belief is that when someone dies that their soul returns as the soul of a dog. Medieval minds again, belief in ghosts etc, unbelievable in the 21st Century but hey T.I.T.

So hundreds of millions of Christians who believe in the Trinity of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost, in the 21st Century have medieval minds?

Really?

On 1/6/2023 at 12:04 PM, Dcheech said:

That rabies vaccine is gnarly too. Given the wussified world we live in, wonder how many will refuse to get vaccinated. As always up2U   ????

4 shots administered over a 7 to 14 day period. 

• Thumbs Up 1

That rabies vaccine is gnarly too. Given the wussified world we live in, wonder how many will refuse to get vaccinated. As always up2U   ????

Don’t know about gnarly. I had the series after a stray cat bite. It was a pita to comply with the schedule, I think I recall five shots, but it was nothing like the reports of the older vaccine, administered some horrendous number of times in your belly.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, edogthong said:

Was the rabies vaccine's approval pushed through the medical safety net? Has it been shown to be pretty much useless? Does it produce devastating side effects like myocarditis and heart failure? 

Maybe they should make all soi dogs wear a face mask.

5 hours ago, keithkarmann said:

Any attempt to try and control the situation is met with anger.

How misinformed is that.

Prior to the pandemic there was significant attempts to control the spread of the disease with government mobile units going around providing free vaccination.

We have a about 60 cats and around 10 dogs and they visited regularly, gratitude is the word you should have used, not anger.

6 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

You dont get vaccinated for rabies. Just saying as you are obviously not aware of that.

Sorry, that's just completely wrong.  There is a 2 dose pre-exposure vaccination for rabies. 

If you've had it, then the the post-exposure vaccination regime is much less onerous. 

https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/prevention/pre-exposure_vaccinations.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Frabies%2Fspecific_groups%2Ftravelers%2Fpre-exposure_vaccinations.html

• Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 2:38 PM, Mad mick said:

Rabi vaccines been around long long time ! Well tested unlike covid vaxx where most of us via trust the science & Governments forced this untested vaccine on the populious with none to very little clinical testing  normally takes few years prior to approval side effects +++ 99% most vaccines are clinically tested  ! Covid or CCP Virus  greatest mass experiment  in world history Big pharmaceutical profits went through roof just another pharmaceutical scam call me conspiracy theorist real or not real this virus was man made Dr Fauchi & C/o - should be arrested for crimes against humanity along with corrupt WHO ???????? WEF officials. All we can do is learn & live with it ! like all flu eperdemics past and present will keep mutating ! I believe free choice to be vaxxed or not up to individuals ! Yes possibly most vaunrable in our society  with pre excisiting  comobiditys issues ! With Rabi vaxx was well tested clinically for years & works 3 or 4 in the stomach for memory over 3 or 4 days friend mine got off rabied monkey & it worked  !!

Dream on little Dreamer????????????

8 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

You dont get vaccinated for rabies. Just saying as you are obviously not aware of that.

As others have already pointed out, that's untrue. 

Here's the pertinent info from a medical website.

"The rabies vaccine is used in two ways:

1. It is given to a person who has a higher risk of coming into contact with an infected animal, to immunize them against rabies in case they are bitten by a rabid animal.

2. The vaccine is given to a person who has been bitten by an infected animal to prevent the virus from developing into rabies.

The protocol for a person exposed to the virus who has not previously been vaccinated against rabies calls for receiving 4 doses of the rabies vaccine over a 14-day period, as well as receiving 1 dose of rabies immunoglobulin to be given right after the first vaccine dose."

Rabies Prevention and the Rabies Vaccine

It's not gnarly at all.  It was once, but not any more. It's given just the same as almost all vaccinations, such as a flu or Covid shot. For older children and adults, that's into the deltoid muscle of the upper arm. Very young or small children may have the vaccine injected into the upper leg (thigh) muscle.

On 1/6/2023 at 7:09 PM, Lucky Bones said:

Generally, simply existing can upset many soi dogs.

And do not ever ride a bicycle near them.

Vermin.

The soi dogs didn't ask to be born or spend their sad lives fending for themselves. To me, the people who created their life situation are the vermin, not the dogs.

9 hours ago, sandyf said:

And it is falang culture to think that way.

Falang culture would not have allowed the dogs to procreate and farang dogs don't live in the streets. They have owners who care about them. Soi dogs don't enjoy that luxury.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jimbo 12345 said:

Why use a tranquilizer dart,  ????  Couldn't they find a brick or a steel bar to smash its skull in ?? A a spade to chop off its head, my mind boggles. 

You should apply for work in the dog meat trade in China or Vietnam. You'd be a natural.

12 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

No it didn't. It was missing literal years of trial data which would have captured the risks we know about now if it was run longer. Some countries (Canada off the top of my head) retracted use of the vaccine for certain age groups AFTER learning of negative side effects.

Clearly you didn't read the fact check article I included. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Purdey said:

Clearly you didn't read the fact check article I included. 

I've heard all that before and it's just more corporate propaganda to sell their products. The test is the passing the of time and raw number of people exposed.  That's always how testing works in all domains despite any BS stories some company will weave to get you to accept their dodgy products.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

I've heard all that before and it's just more corporate propaganda to sell their products. The test is the passing the of time and raw number of people exposed.  That's always how testing works in all domains despite any BS stories some company will weave to get you to accept their dodgy products.

There are lots of fact checkers/analysts and these things are not fact checked by the drug companies. Organizations like the US FDA and UK NHS busted the myths you mentioned years ago.

Moreover, COVID is a coronavirus and work on coronaviruses has been undertaken for years before COVID-19 emerged. It is comparable to the development of airplanes years before war breaks out. 

Not believing scientists is fine, but no one believes non scientists. I linked to an article written by scientists. 

Here are a few more by reputable agencies.

https://www.health.gov.au/our-work/covid-19-vaccines/is-it-true/is-it-true-were-covid-19-vaccines-rushed-through-approvals-or-given-emergency-use-authorisations-in-australia

https://www.aarp.org/health/drugs-supplements/info-2020/covid-vaccine-myths.html?cmp=KNC-DSO-HEALTH-Health_COVID-NonBrand-Phrase-36909-GOOG-COVID-DrugsSupplement-VaccineMyths-COVID-Phrase-NonBrand&gclid=Cj0KCQiAzeSdBhC4ARIsACj36uGVVl-howQsYg2Tb9WeNOJMPPm5HseULtdI7oZef7MsUtJBnZTypyMaArh9EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/facts.html

Edited by Purdey
  • Like 1

Most people are aware of rabies etc. But are farang aware that a bite from a Monitor Lizard is pretty certain to kill you from the infection in their mouths. I certainly wasn’t. 
I was in Bangkok walking in the huge park off Soi 10 when a six foot Monitor walked in front of me. I had a doctor friend of Infectious Diseases with me from California. He informed me of how dangerous their bite can be. I have been pretty close to these lizards on numerous occasions without any knowledge of them being dangerous. They just showed on the Thai news a farang sunbathing and a Monitor walking within a few feet of him, and he was smiling for the camera. Most of the time they seem pretty innocuous to me, but it only takes one to be aggressive. And you cannot outrun these things. I saw one being chased by a dog, the lizard outran the dog into the first canal and safety.

A Thai woman told me they eat mostly dead animals, and that would explain the highly infectious mouth. Yikes! 

On 1/6/2023 at 12:31 PM, Screaming said:

It is very sad indeed to see these filthy diseased animals rooming the streets of Thailand. As much as Thailand tries to put on lipstick, it is still a third world country that is dangerous at times.

apparently one guy punched it to try to make it loose ..brave bloke probably in the nick now for assault against this vermin that roams the streets of Thailand  great laws eh ..