Thai health expert says Covid from the West is more dangerous than from China

snoop1130

To his absolute credit, he said the below, that it's clearly time to stop masking children.

So will give him full credit for that at least!! 

Kindergarten and elementary school students should no longer have to wear masks in schools as the Covid-19 situation in Thailand continues to improve, according to virologist Yong Poovorawan. 

Dr Yong posted on his Facebook account on Friday that infections in children are uncommon as the majority are already immune. According to a study by the Centre for Viral Studies, around 80% of primary and kindergarten students have already been infected, and many others already vaccinated. 

Despite the possibility of re-infection, the symptoms are not severe and one in three pass without any at all. "Everything will proceed naturally, just as with a respiratory disease," wrote Dr Yong, chief of the Centre of Excellence in Clinical Virology at Chulalongkorn University's Faculty of Medicine. 

While the Department of Health, along with the Ministry of Public Health, still recommends juveniles over two years old wear masks, Dr Yong suggests that, for young children, wearing a mask is ineffective and not worth the trade-off in educational development. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Facts are facts

Roughly 6,500 people in hospitals in the U.S. have tested positive for Covid-19, according to the CDC, more than double the number from one month ago, and more than 10,000 people have died from Covid in the last month, the highest four-week total since the summer.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/01/06/covid-cases-hospitalizations-spike-as-new-variant-gains-foothold-00076747

Hospitals at or near full COVID-19 ICU capacity increase by 90% over past few months

https://www.fiercehealthcare.com/hospitals/study-hospitals-at-or-near-full-covid-19-icu-capacity-increase-by-90-over-past-few-months

When you look for something you find it. Isn't it winter in the US? There are also matrix used and the only figure that should be looked at is "DIED from Covid" ie covid was the cause of the death. 

1 minute ago, BritScot said:

When you look for something you find it. Isn't it winter in the US? There are also matrix used and the only figure that should be looked at is "DIED from Covid" ie covid was the cause of the death. 

We just don't live in a binary world...... 

The stress of having symptomatic Covid may bring on a heart attack in a patient having heart issues.

Covid can cause pneumonia, which can kill,

Are these covid deaths? 

I say these are caused by Covid... but there will be more difficult evaluations to make. The UK ducked the controversy by saying 'died within 28 days of a positive Covid test'....It was also reporting 'excess deaths'... during Covid... at some point it was felt Covid deaths were being under reported....

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

So he must have magical access to information within China that is being kept from the rest of the world.

Ofcourse there have been only 66  deaths from covid in China and we all believe that too. So much safer with Chinese arriving than westerners.

10 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Good question. @Sheryl, would another non bivalent booster shot be advisable now for people in Thailand who have not had one for almost a year?

If in a high risk group (over 65 or chronic disease) and also did not have COVID within last year then yes, I would advise it.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

If in a high risk group (over 65 or chronic disease) and also did not have COVID within last year then yes, I would advise it.

Thanks, I am 68 and tested positive in May this year, about a week after arriving in Thailand. I have had 4 shots, AX followed by Pfizer then 2 Moderna.

So, it sounds safe to skip another vaccine for now. I'm tempted to get it anyway.

7 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Thanks, I am 68 and tested positive in May this year, about a week after arriving in Thailand. I have had 4 shots, AX followed by Pfizer then 2 Moderna.

So, it sounds safe to skip another vaccine for now. I'm tempted to get it anyway.

No harm in doing so.

I am in a somewhat similiar situation but 5 shots and had COVID in late July. Haven't decided yet, keep hoping private hospitals will bring in the newer vaccines

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I just flew from NY to LA tonight. About 10% in the airport and on the flight wore masks. And I was not one of them! I am more concerned with a cold or a flu than with the wimpy Omi. 

Ahhhh...

Wait 'til the newer, and nastier, mutated forms catch up with us [and still don't know anything about].????

Something to look forward to, huh? 

Just keep cycling the conscious fear. ????

12 hours ago, ozimoron said:

It helps to quote sources that are not 2 1/2 years old.

The other source confirms rises in admissions.

Yeah , and I confirm another all too predictable rise in panic mongering is already underway from the usual suspects

4 hours ago, Drop the dead donkey said:

I just want to know where Covid actually is? As I have spent 1 complete year in the UK after 16 years abroad. During this time in the UK, I haven’t seen 1 case in my immediate circle or theirs as well. So how and where is this virus still living ?

I think it is still all BS and was from the start.

Last year I saw it in my younger neighbour and her 16 year daughter, my elder neighbour's 12 year old granddaughter and in my 17 year old son.

Having said that my elder neighbour, my wife and I never caught it.

This year my 17 year old son had a Monday off school whilst it was being disinfected after 5 of his classmates caught it.

If you think it is all BS that is up to you.

I know differently from personal experience.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 7:35 PM, ozimoron said:

Hence, the restrictions applying to all arrivals

I'm not up to speed it seems. What restrictions? I came back in on Thursday afternoon after 3 weeks with family in UK. No restrictions then, neither to board the flight from Amsterdam nor on arrival at Suvarnabhumi. Was I lucky by a day?

5 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

I'm not up to speed it seems. What restrictions? I came back in on Thursday afternoon after 3 weeks with family in UK. No restrictions then, neither to board the flight from Amsterdam nor on arrival at Suvarnabhumi. Was I lucky by a day?

8 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Right. Very different then. Even in January of this year when I finally decided to endure the somewhat relaxed restrictions and associated costs after more than a year apart from my wife. And compared to  the 2020 shut down when I was in Thailand trying to leave for Europe with her and 2021 when I was not. My wife did return in 2021 once that was allowed but endured 14 days quarantine. At least then the cost was on her government's baht not mine.

• Like 2

Does anyone know if the new rules apply to expats, who have retirement visas issued within Thailand? Other than proof of vaccination, do any of the new health insurance requirements apply? 

I was told no, as long as it is a visa acquired within Thailand. Any info to the contrary? 

22 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Facts are facts

Roughly 6,500 people in hospitals in the U.S. have tested positive for Covid-19, according to the CDC, more than double the number from one month ago, and more than 10,000 people have died from Covid in the last month, the highest four-week total since the summer.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/01/06/covid-cases-hospitalizations-spike-as-new-variant-gains-foothold-00076747

Hospitals at or near full COVID-19 ICU capacity increase by 90% over past few months

https://www.fiercehealthcare.com/hospitals/study-hospitals-at-or-near-full-covid-19-icu-capacity-increase-by-90-over-past-few-months

yeah fact are facts and that's the problem with China. They refuse to openly share critical information about covid, it's current variants and health impacts. They are only opening up now as they have been faced with widespread protests and economic collapse. With that scenario in place it's impossible to assess the impact their opening borders will and certain no comparison that's meaningful to what's happening anywhere else in the world.

14 hours ago, placnx said:

The older mRNA vaccines work in reducing incidence of severe disease, hospitalization, etc, but are not very effective in preventing infection and transmission.

the older vaccines were never known to and it was stated they would not stop infection or transmission, only lessen the impact on severity of illness and reduce deaths.  

• Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 11:01 PM, Dmaxdan said:

The DF (Dirty Farang) variant of Covid has always been the most deadly. But weirdly isn't recognized in the rest of the world.

Don't you realise Thailand is the centre of the world, therefore what is recognised outside of the centre means nothing. 

3 hours ago, Dan O said:

yeah fact are facts and that's the problem with China. They refuse to openly share critical information about covid, it's current variants and health impacts. They are only opening up now as they have been faced with widespread protests and economic collapse. With that scenario in place it's impossible to assess the impact their opening borders will and certain no comparison that's meaningful to what's happening anywhere else in the world.

I don't know.... 

I agree (no doubt about it)... China will only supply us with sanitized or false data, for fear of losing face. They may well have at last realized zero covid, isolation  policies are not working.. and have swung completely to a herd immunity target, let it rip approach. The transition is going to be messy and difficult to keep in!

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, BritScot said:

They have never been clear about that. From covid, or with covid as one factor? We know in the US, half of the fatalities are from people over 75 years of age. The flu is also a big killer within that age range. 

• Thumbs Up 1