Russian invasion of Pattaya .

Social Media

13 hours ago, bobbin said:

The OP in the video has a Russian wife.. and children with her.

His stance is to be expected..

Interesting so a Brit marries a Russian and has children I assume born in Thailand - what nationality are they in those circumstances. Never Thai I assume.

18 hours ago, bobbin said:

Half of Israel is of Russian origin, including many who are only 1/8th Jewish.

Only 1 grandparent of Jewish descent is required for Israeli citizenship under the Law of Return. There are currently efforts underway in Israel to tighten this Law.

It's more like about one third of the  total Israeli population that have Ashkenazi or partial Ashkenazi descent. 

OF course Ashkenazis often marry Sephardic  or Mizrahis.

I'm Ashkenazi 100 percent and my ancestors come from Ukraine or Poland depending on the shifting border but according to you all European descent Jews are Russians.

WRONG.

It is true that many Russian immigrants in later waves have not been particularly Jewish. Or really at all. There were scams going on to fake eligibility. 

To add Israel is like so many other countries that offer citizenship to those that can prove ancestry. Not even close to unique but for some reason people get worked up about about Israeli immigration policy.

Edited by Jingthing

Getting back to the topic, lots of Russians in Pattaya are young men. Many are probably going to stay in Pattaya for the duration of the war. That would mean many overstays, and many running out of money. I would suspect we are going to see a lot of Russian lady freelancers on the streets in the coming months, as the Russian men send their wives and girlfriends out to make some money. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Getting back to the topic, lots of Russians in Pattaya are young men. Many are probably going to stay in Pattaya for the duration of the war. That would mean many overstays, and many running out of money. I would suspect we are going to see a lot of Russian lady freelancers on the streets in the coming months, as the Russian men send their wives and girlfriends out to make some money. 

Budding optimism!

On 2/1/2023 at 10:08 AM, Danderman123 said:

Why? A lot of these guys work digitally. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah but lots have no advanced skills. Not to mention tech companies are shedding workers now.

They don't need advanced skills. My point is they have enough to survive via their online work without having to resort to the extreme measures that the poster mentions. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

They don't need advanced skills. My point is they have enough to survive via their online work without having to resort to the extreme measures that the poster mentions. 

Some do.

Some do.

Also to note the fascist regime in Russia is trying to ban Russian companies from  using draft dodgers remote services. 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, champers said:

Interesting article in today's Bangkok Post's Spotlight supplement about Russians and Ukranians in Bali who are there to escape the war back home and are all sharing a co-working space, apartment blocks, cafes and restaurants.

The Indonesian Government is keen to help them to stay including assistance to extend their visas.

Bali... Perfect spot to bomb.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2023 at 6:09 PM, champers said:

Interesting article in today's Bangkok Post's Spotlight supplement about Russians and Ukranians in Bali who are there to escape the war back home and are all sharing a co-working space, apartment blocks, cafes and restaurants.

The Indonesian Government is keen to help them to stay including assistance to extend their visas.

People aren't and never have been the problem ...

... Govts are and always will be ... WAKE UP PEOPLE

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Dogsredrocket said:

1. yes

2. yes

3. Nice straw man

I was out at the Russian night market in Pratamnahk last night with the missus. Probably 95% Russian with the insect food cart Carabao type bloke doing a roaring trade blasting out Russian music and the Russian national anthem and hugging various Ruskies who came to take photos with him. A Bolt driver said they are a pain as they try to cram as many folk as possible into a car. Same at Thepprasit Road night market, never seen so many. The Ukrainian Colonel Sanders type playboy who used to ride round on his motorbike blasting out the Ukrainian anthem a few years back seems to have dissapeared. If you have strong views on who you frequent Thailand with on moral grounds maybe it is time to consider choosing a different country because sure as hell they won't be changing tack.

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, billyo said:

I was out at the Russian night market in Pratamnahk last night with the missus. Probably 95% Russian with the insect food cart Carabao type bloke doing a roaring trade blasting out Russian music and the Russian national anthem and hugging various Ruskies who came to take photos with him. A Bolt driver said they are a pain as they try to cram as many folk as possible into a car. Same at Thepprasit Road night market, never seen so many. The Ukrainian Colonel Sanders type playboy who used to ride round on his motorbike blasting out the Ukrainian anthem a few years back seems to have dissapeared. If you have strong views on who you frequent Thailand with on moral grounds maybe it is time to consider choosing a different country because sure as hell they won't be changing tack.

I'm sure there are plenty of other areas in Thailand that they don't frequent. Russians and Chinese seem to be very similar in clustering around the same tourist areas and being a right old nuisance. With human rights records like theirs they should be confined to their own borders and heavily sanctioned. What a shame that a handful of Thai people at the top are making real money while allowing importation of illegal Russians and Chinese. If the Russian Mafia wasn't bad enough there are also more and more reports of Chinese Triads getting in on the action in Thailand.

Edited by Dogsredrocket
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, billyo said:

Yes they will. They disappeared before and they will again. And it wasn't due to covid. The rouble crashed.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Yes they will. They disappeared before and they will again. And it wasn't due to covid. The rouble crashed.

The rouble is dropping like a rock, but it won't impact the number of Russians in Pattaya. Because staying out of Russia is a life or death matter.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dogsredrocket said:

I'm sure there are plenty of other areas in Thailand that they don't frequent. Russians and Chinese seem to be very similar in clustering around the same tourist areas

I wouldn't class Wongamat as a Tourist area (well not in the same category as say Jomtien) but it is absolutely swamped with Russians at the moment, my GF jokes that she sees more signs in Russian than she does in Thai or English nowadays & there's even what appears to be a dedicated Russian Tourist kiosk (NB I know the correct term is Cyrillic script & it is used by other countries than Russia but think the Russian's far outnumber any other nationality in Wongamat at the moment).   

As for them skimping on accommodation costs, we live in a reasonably expensive condo block (can get similar sized rooms for 1/2 the price at other condo buildings within 1km) & there are loads of young Russian Families that have moved in over the past year, especially since around Xmas time... 

I've read elsewhere that some are taking 12 month leases, paying the 2 month deposit and then leaving when their options for staying (Visas/Extensions) run out & forfeiting their deposit, I guess time will tell how true this is as, short of doing a Visa run, they will be coming to the end of their 45 + 30 days pretty soon. 

Just checking the rouble baht conversion pretty much what it was before the invasion and the same ratio as the British pound. I imagine since they are either banned or pretty much shunned in most of Europe and western countries that Thailand must be one of their top destinations. If any of them are digital nomads which I'm sure some will be they then this must be a great place to hang out , make your money and avoid mobilization.

Edited by billyo

2 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

I wouldn't class Wongamat as a Tourist area (well not in the same category as say Jomtien) but it is absolutely swamped with Russians at the moment, my GF jokes that she sees more signs in Russian than she does in Thai or English nowadays & there's even what appears to be a dedicated Russian Tourist kiosk (NB I know the correct term is Cyrillic script & it is used by other countries than Russia but think the Russian's far outnumber any other nationality in Wongamat at the moment).   

As for them skimping on accommodation costs, we live in a reasonably expensive condo block (can get similar sized rooms for 1/2 the price at other condo buildings within 1km) & there are loads of young Russian Families that have moved in over the past year, especially since around Xmas time... 

I've read elsewhere that some are taking 12 month leases, paying the 2 month deposit and then leaving when their options for staying (Visas/Extensions) run out & forfeiting their deposit, I guess time will tell how true this is as, short of doing a Visa run, they will be coming to the end of their 45 + 30 days pretty soon. 

That's when the Russian wife/girlfriend goes to Walking Street to find customers.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, billyo said:

Just checking the rouble baht conversion pretty much what it was before the invasion and the same ratio as the British pound. I imagine since they are either banned or pretty much shunned in most of Europe and western countries that Thailand must be one of their top destinations. If any of them are digital nomads which I'm sure some will be they then this must be a great place to hang out , make your money and avoid mobilization.

Is the ruble convertible in Thailand?