Russian invasion of Pattaya .

Social Media

18 minutes ago, Leaver said:

They are forcing governments / countries to chose a side, mainly based on trade, and mainly for energy.

The Russian intelligence services would have been better off blowing up a few bombs in Russia over the last few years, and blaming it on Ukraine nationalist, due to Russia's annexing of Crimea.  Basically, creating a false flag terrorist organization, thus, trying to legitimize their invasion. 

Think, the war on terror in Afghanistan, and then Saddam's weapons of mass destruction thate were never found.  It's been working for the Israeli's against the Palestinians for decades. 

Russia / Putin didn't need, or want, a UN go ahead.  That's not what this war is about. 

Remember Bush's call to arms for the "coalition of the willing?" "You are either with us, or against us." So, many countries went in.  

Russia is just trying to make countries chose a side, with the west not allowing any each way bets.  Sure, they are using energy reliance to manipulate the decisions. 

Interesting times ahead. I have no doubt Russia and China are watching western moves, with China having an eye on Taiwan. Not because they need Taiwan, but it forces countries to chose a side, and given China is the world's manufacturing hub, how can western governments sell a war against China that sees ZERO imports with the "Made in China" label to their people?  Bottom line is, the west has become reliant on China for just about every consumer item.

I can see the day coming where China will move on Taiwan, not because they need to, but just to make a statement to the west that China has now overtaken the USA and is the the biggest super power in the world, and there will be very little  the west can do about it, and when this happens, who will be right along side them, their friend, Russia. 

The sleeping dragon has awoken. 

Russia was also facing the reality of a declining economy due to less demand for fossil fuels. Putin saw the annexation of Ukraine with it's rich agricultural lands, strong industrial base and mineral wealth as a way of making Russia great again and cementing his legacy to boot. One reason that NATO is pushing back so hard is that economic value that Ukraine has and the west's reliance upon it.

Unfortunately for Putin a million Russians didn't buy it and fled the country, many to Thailand. I think that perhaps many Chinese won't buy into their government's plans either and Thailand will have a greater influx of "war refugees".

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Russia was also facing the reality of a declining economy due to less demand for fossil fuels. Putin saw the annexation of Ukraine with it's rich agricultural lands, strong industrial base and mineral wealth as a way of making Russia great again and cementing his legacy to boot. One reason that NATO is pushing back so hard is that economic value that Ukraine has and the west's reliance upon it.

Unfortunately for Putin a million Russians didn't buy it and fled the country, many to Thailand.

Yes, there is a lot of truth in what you say.  Putin basically saying, "Make Russia Great Again."

The EU  didn't want the Ukraine, so it was ripe for the picking for Russia.  Putin wanted to carve up the Ukraine into a mini Soviet Union style of states.  Of course, it's not working out so well on the battlefield, but working out quite well as far as influencing global economics.  Perhaps that really was their end game. 

It goes far beyond just a land grab in Ukraine. 

On 1/25/2023 at 3:17 AM, tgw said:

One thing you maybe aren't considering is that among the people you see as Russian there probably are other nationalities. I guess there must be a number of Ukrainians too.

In the condo-complex I live, there are both of them.

When the Russian vacationers meet the Ukrainian residents at the pool, you can feel the tension in the air ????

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 1:00 AM, Bassosa said:

They're all in denial and trying to justify their life choices. We all know that.

On a serious note. Must be Thailand's biggest taboo. That it kind of sucks to live here. Great for a holiday but to live? Huge pain in the butt. 

There are of course exceptions. Usually people that have problems fitting in back home, ie criminals and antisocials. They love it here and will always do because of the non-confrontational nature of Thai society. It's a safe haven for sh*theads of sorts.

I have a wonderful life here. OMG ???????????? maybe I AM sh!THEAD lol ???????????????????? !!! Oh well mai pen rai to that.

Mind you I don't live on $2000 a month or a similar lowish to low income figure which can makes life somewhat restrictive.

I/we have an idyllic life: Great golf, wonderful yoga, gym, fantastic beach nearby to swim and in season to surf a bit, incredible food, awesome barbie in the backyard, great sailing, few lovely friends, a darling squeeze, cheap beer, living in my boardies or Bermuda shorts Hawaiian shorts n sandals, a blo@dy beautiful home with a truly sick pool and garden in a quiet green spot, easy access to international flights, amazing countries all around to visit easily and cheaply, really wonderful Thai house-staff. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tropposurfer said:

I have a wonderful life here. OMG ???????????? maybe I AM sh!THEAD lol ???????????????????? !!! Oh well mai pen rai to that.

Mind you I don't live on $2000 a month or a similar lowish to low income figure which can makes life somewhat restrictive.

I/we have an idyllic life: Great golf, wonderful yoga, gym, fantastic beach nearby to swim and in season to surf a bit, incredible food, awesome barbie in the backyard, great sailing, few lovely friends, a darling squeeze, cheap beer, living in my boardies or Bermuda shorts Hawaiian shorts n sandals, a blo@dy beautiful home with a truly sick pool and garden in a quiet green spot, easy access to international flights, amazing countries all around to visit easily and cheaply, really wonderful Thai house-staff. 

All that for 2000 usd a month, wow, thats impressive. Not to many days at the golf court then every month in that budget. At least you live next to it, and can watch from the corner of your balcony.

7 minutes ago, Hummin said:

All that for 2000 usd a month, wow, thats impressive.

1 hour ago, Tropposurfer said:

• Like 2

So when all the 30 day extensions are used up and if the Russian war continues to draft and send the Russian people off to fight the war how many of the current Russian tourists will become overstays?

I for one would prefer to stay in nice warm cheap Thailand than go back to brutal winters and a brutal dictator.  There are tons of condos all around Pattaya owned by Russians who likely would be happy to get a bit of rent from some fellow ruskies.

I could be wrong but I predict massive numbers of overstays coming soon.  Will Thailand look the other way or actually round them up and deport?  Are immigration and other government  officials all licking their chops at the thought of big envelopes headed their way for dodgy visas?

Not just in Pattaya but here in Krabi too. Wouldn't call it an invasion but the Russians almost certainly outnumber any other foreigners. I was at a busy bar last night and there was a few Russians there who were clearly regulars. One guy was 38 and with his Russian wife, spoke good English, a business owner in Russia who had been in Thailand for 3 months and was planning at least another 6 months. Asked how he managed financially, he said his money, like many other Russians, was in US Dollars and told me he was going to sell his assets to survive. Was against the war with Ukraine but didn't wan't to talk about Putin as "our phones are listening" LOL. 

Edited by soi3eddie

On 1/8/2023 at 7:28 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Yes just over and ceasefire "officially" cancelled.

Would really like to know what the Russians pay for airfare and/or package tour.

Mates from Germany are kept away by high airfares and chaos on airports.

I am starting to wonder if some kind of " incentive " to the Airlines and Russian Tour companies is being paid out.

On 1/11/2023 at 11:32 AM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I was just in Pattaya for 3 nights. The Bangkok-Pattaya bus had clusters of Chinese independent travellers and a handful of Russians. At the Big C Extra mall on Klang, a dominant language was Russian, with entire families thoroughly enjoying their freedom.

The Ekkamai bus station was packed and buses running late. The 10 am run didn't leave until about 10:45 last Thursday. The 11 am left 20 minutes late.

Have to say, the Big C was fully stocked and very busy mid-afternoon last week. I'd lived in Pattaya for quite a few years before and the Klang Big C is still the best one I have ever shopped in, and I'm including the Bangkok ones where I currently live. The attached HomePro was equally well stocked and I found things I could not find in BKK. 

So yeah, Pattaya offers more than just shoulder to shoulder bars.

"At the Big C Extra mall on Klang, a dominant language was Russian, with entire families thoroughly enjoying their freedom."

Yes but were any of them smiling? Even before the war in Ukraine, they all walked around like they had a severe dose of piles. You'd think that getting away from that sihthole of a country for a while would make them ecstatic.

1968 I was in Pague. Right after tanks had rolled in and all churches wrapped red "hammer & sickle" flags.

I asked locals in a pub; "How do you like Russians?"

"Oh, we do like them. Like ham. Cold...."

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, pomchop said:

So when all the 30 day extensions are used up and if the Russian war continues to draft and send the Russian people off to fight the war how many of the current Russian tourists will become overstays?

I for one would prefer to stay in nice warm cheap Thailand than go back to brutal winters and a brutal dictator.  There are tons of condos all around Pattaya owned by Russians who likely would be happy to get a bit of rent from some fellow ruskies.

I could be wrong but I predict massive numbers of overstays coming soon.  Will Thailand look the other way or actually round them up and deport?  Are immigration and other government  officials all licking their chops at the thought of big envelopes headed their way for dodgy visas?

Many will then bop around to places they can go next such as Vietnam and Thailand will be on their rotation. They don’t have the best passport these days.

On 1/8/2023 at 9:00 PM, Bassosa said:

ie criminals and antisocials. ......................................................... It's a safe haven for sh*theads of sorts.

Are you commenting from personal experience? As a retired forensic expert with the UK Police Service and 20 years residence in the rural North of Thailand, I find your comments offensive if you are referring to Thailand in general, if just Pattaya then no further comment from me as I hated the resort - just 2 overnight visits in 20 years!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jesimps said:

"At the Big C Extra mall on Klang, a dominant language was Russian, with entire families thoroughly enjoying their freedom."

Yes but were any of them smiling? Even before the war in Ukraine, they all walked around like they had a severe dose of piles. You'd think that getting away from that sihthole of a country for a while would make them ecstatic.

Maybe they've been reading the ANF Pattaya forums too much.

Or maybe you've mistaken them for Thais. Or for some simps delighting in their rented women. Now I don't recall seeming Germans walking around all shiny and happy-faced in all the years I've been in Pattaya. Never any worries here about that.

What our old buzzards want is as usual to sit in their tree and aim droppings at the current non-monger group welcomed by TAT. 

buzzards.jpg.8a4d99258073541fd1f507de89603923.jpg

• Haha 1