Russian invasion of Pattaya .

Social Media

Just now, Danderman123 said:

Is the ruble convertible in Thailand?

It would appear so all the forex booths take it and have rate on it. Last time I saw the rate in BigC was like .3 where the "official" forex rate today is .47 so they maybe taking a big chunk for all the hassle. How that money gets back to Russia if indeed it ever does some expert will need to elucidate. It is a net outflow from Russia though so in some small way it could be negative for the Russian economy.

7 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

I've read elsewhere that some are taking 12 month leases, paying the 2 month deposit and then leaving when their options for staying (Visas/Extensions) run out & forfeiting their deposit

My development goes from absolutely packed with Russians and red plated cars (Russian rental company stickers) everywhere to very quiet almost overnight. Its hard to tell who actually lives here and who is transient which is a big security risk. Far from ideal neighbours in my view. I did see police here the other day so perhaps some of them are not as sneaky as they think.

I’m sure there are illegal sublets and car rentals going on. Someone may need to report unusual behaviour to immigration.

1 minute ago, Dogsredrocket said:

My development goes from absolutely packed with Russians and red plated cars (Russian rental company stickers) everywhere to very quiet almost overnight. Its hard to tell who actually lives here and who is transient which is a big security risk. Far from ideal neighbours in my view. I did see police here the other day so perhaps some of them are not as sneaky as they think.

I’m sure there are illegal sublets and car rentals going on. Someone may need to report unusual behaviour to immigration.

I noticed several Russians touting ping pong shows in walking street last night. Annoying. For whatever reason the number of touts for these shows is at an all time high.

32 minutes ago, Dogsredrocket said:

My condo block has facial recognition at the front door so if they don't have a proper lease registered with the management office, they're not getting in. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dogsredrocket said:

Give it another 6 months. Desperate people will start to desperate things and that is when the real pushback will come.

it won’t even come from whiny expats like me. It will be Thai people.

I don’t think it will take that long.

56 minutes ago, Dogsredrocket said:

Guess I should look into security doors. A shame we can’t carry particular self defence items in this country.

I'm not suggesting it will get that bad.

I'm thinking more in lines of illegal working, increase in scam schemes, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I reckon Dan is being reckless in his videos.

I've seen most, he is encouraging foreigners to live in Thailand, even creating a spreadsheet with pricing for cost of living here in Thailand. I see many grumpy, cranky, angry foreigners in Thailand.

I struggle to understand how any one on a government pension can relocate to Thailand.

When I was growing up, my parents made me aware that you should never rely on the aged pension, the pension is there for the ones that have no money.

I've worked since leaving college, with my savings and assets I would never, ever 

qualify, be eligible for the aged pension.

Yes, you can live in Thailand on a budget but why on earth would you want to do that? I could never live without my pleasures, house, motorbikes, cars, restaurants, travel etc. I reckon most of the angry, miserable foreigners living in Thailand are this way because they are angry with themselves, probably living in an apartment, no vehicle, no travel, who wants that?

Edited by Cricky
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

On 2/19/2023 at 2:54 PM, Dogsredrocket said:

Why do you care so much about what other people are doing?

Sure it might be illegal, but so is prostitution in Thailand and I bet most of the "men" commenting here would never ever report their "holiday girlfriend".

What is morally wrong with subletting?

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Cricky said:

I reckon Dan is being reckless in his videos.

I've seen most, he is encouraging foreigners to live in Thailand, even creating a spreadsheet with pricing for cost of living here in Thailand. I see many grumpy, cranky, angry foreigners in Thailand.

I struggle to understand how any one on a government pension can relocate to Thailand.

When I was growing up, my parents made me aware that you should never rely on the aged pension, the pension is there for the ones that have no money.

I've worked since leaving college, with my savings and assets I would never, ever 

qualify, be eligible for the aged pension.

Yes, you can live in Thailand on a budget but why on earth would you want to do that? I could never live without my pleasures, house, motorbikes, cars, restaurants, travel etc. I reckon most of the angry, miserable foreigners living in Thailand are this way because they are angry with themselves, probably living in an apartment, no vehicle, no travel, who wants that?

I fully agree with the last paragraph and just seeing all these miserable people around this country is giving me bad vibes, it is a shame.

But on the other hand, who can blame them? They would live even worse in their home country from their lousy pension

This country is actually nice for people with money as well. You can have luxury style homes, you can have high-class grass fed beef, you can get organic produce and can live completely tax-free and without any hassle from the government due to the territorial taxation system and not many regulations in general.

I am young and far away from poor and think not many countries in the world combine this level of personal freedom with tropical nature, security/safety and tax-free living. 

• Like 2

On 2/19/2023 at 2:51 PM, Dogsredrocket said:

Give it another 6 months. Desperate people will start to desperate things and that is when the real pushback will come.

it won’t even come from whiny expats like me. It will be Thai people.

Think its well started, locals I've spoken to seem to be quite fed up with their mannerisms etc and wondering "why so many are here?"... could be fair to say the majority of locals do not know whats happening in Russia......

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, FarAway said:

Why do you care so much about what other people are doing?

Sure it might be illegal, but so is prostitution in Thailand and I bet most of the "men" commenting here would never ever report their "holiday girlfriend".

What is morally wrong with subletting?

Transient neighbours are far from ideal from a security perspective. No room for argument on that.

Running a rental car business out of a townhouse development is certainly an issue when parking is tight already. If your neighbour had 1 parking space but 5 cars it would cause no end of drama I am sure.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, FarAway said:

Sure, some of them get drunk and do stupid <deleted>. But most of them are really nice family people that just want to escape a war.

A pity they do not seem to have the courage to make the war end from home!

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Morally, well it is against the law. The reality is, if one owns a house or condo, short term rentals next door make your life a misery, 

Things being against the law is not always morally wrong.

In Brunei you get hanged for half a kg of Ganja, in Thailand you can buy it everywhere now.

In many countries you do not need to pay income taxes, in other if you do you will go to jail many years.

That’s why I explicitly said morally wrong, because actually often laws does not reflect ethics.

• Sad 1

Bloomberg: Russia’s war ‘unravels’ its consumer economy worse than Covid-19 pandemic

•  

Bloomberg: Russia’s war ‘unravels’ its consumer economy worse than Covid-19 pandemic

•  
The Kyiv Independent news desk
Wed, March 1, 2023 at 3:24 PM GMT·1 min read

The Kyiv Independent news desk
Wed, March 1, 2023 at 3:24 PM GMT·1 min read
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1