Drinking and driving in Thailand: Thai media clarifies quantities and penalties

webfact

On 1/13/2023 at 12:25 PM, Andycoops said:

Everyone here knows there is a 2 tier justice system.

One for the hi-so who have the money, influence to avoid prosecution and the other for the humble citizens who get the full force of the law laid upon them.

Right. The old "can I pay the fine here and be on my way" trick. Does that still work?

As with most things in Thailand - I'm totally confused.

Last year when they were talking about the new points system on licences the reports said that DUI would carry 4 points, meaning that you could be caught twice and keep your licence but would lose it if you were caught 3 times as that would use up all 12 points.

This news appears to be completely different.

On 1/12/2023 at 2:59 PM, Spock said:

Surely refusal to take the test should mean the maximum penalty is applied!

a person can be charged with refusing a breath test if they refuse to provide a sample for a preliminary breath test.  They will be arrested and may be taken to the police station. If they are unable to provide a sample due to a medical or physical condition, then they will also be taken to a police station. At the police station they will be directed to provide a breath analysis, or a blood or urine analysis. If the police request a sample of blood or urine, then the test will be undertaken by a nurse or a medical practitioner. It is an offence to refuse to provide a sample for these tests.

That is where I live 

Penalties

For the offence of refusing a preliminary test the penalty is a fine and a minimum disqualification of 3 months for the first offence and 6 months for any further offence. In deciding if it is a first offence, the court will count other drink driving or drug driving offences as a previous offence.

For the offence of refusing a breath test the penalty is a fine and a minimum disqualification of 10 months for a first offence, 30 months for a second and life disqualification for any further offence.   A community based order  can be imposed for a first offence, and a community based order  or an intensive supervision order  also be imposed for a second or subsequent offence, however that order must include community work.

Edited by still kicking
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, sidneybear said:

What about people who are stoned on weed? Do they drug test in Thailand?

You don't have to be stoned. Drugs stay in your system for a certain amount of hours if you take meth at the day before or smoke a joint it still will show at a drug test next day