Top Thai virologist says if you’re healthy “you can ditch the face mask”

webfact

On 1/13/2023 at 11:21 AM, Moonlover said:

Thanks Dr. Yong. It's high time someone spoke up with a bit of common sense on this issue.

Unfortunately I don't think he's the one as he doesn't seem to understand how masks work.

From all the evidence I've seen the masks generally used will reduce the chance of being infected but because any contamination will be on the front of the mask and possibly get transferred to the mouth and nose then the reduction is small. I don't think the masks are a complete barrier anyway. The main advantage of masks is they cut the chance of an infected person passing the virus. If you put your hand in front of your mouth and breath out or cough you'll be able to feel it. With a mask on you might feel a little when you cough but the flow of air is reduced thereby reducing the transmission of any virus.

I still wear one in closed places and in crowds but otherwise I tend not to as with enough space then it should be safe enough. To be honest I often forget I've got it on and end up walking down an empty street  with it

No matter what the Thai government announces there appears to be no convincing Thais to take the masks off, at least nto out where I am.

Even people walking alone down completely deserted roads. They all have a mask on, still.

It is only a minor annoyance now but I really really hope it stops before the hot season sets in.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PCUSHING said:

Just like yourself then.

I would think there would be differences of opinion even within the global scientific community.

I have been told Covid is firmly in the rear view mirror in the UK and Europe.

Even China has done a 360 degree turn and is telling the rest of the world to move on, nothing to see here.

Big brother adopting this attitude will be to the benefit of quickening global supply chains and restoring demand to the global economy.

Pity our little band of pensioner expats on this board couldn't move on, instead of being scared of their own shadows on a daily basis.

It's truly pathetic.

A nothing response....... empty of facts when there are so many you could have brought to the table... like China's about turn that has cost them 60,000 lives. By the way, an about turn is 180 degrees not 360 degrees.... great demonstration of putting little thought in one's post!!

'Big brother'... I do not see what that reference is about... !

1 minute ago, rattlesnake said:

I'm with Fauci on this one:

Dr. Anthony Fauci wrote in February 2020 that store-bought face masks would not be very effective at protecting against the COVID-19 pandemic and advised a traveler not to wear one.

https://www.newsweek.com/fauci-said-masks-not-really-effective-keeping-out-virus-email-reveals-1596703

Do they stop cough spit from circulating....?

2 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

No, the mask keeps the cough spit nice and cozy near your mouth and nose - making masks the ideal breeding ground for bacteria...

For the individual, not Joe Bloggs sitting next to you on a bus...:cowboy:

On 1/13/2023 at 12:50 PM, Mickeymaus said:

The headline is misleading. He also said 

"The virologist adds that adults with respiratory diseases should continue to wear face masks outside the home. In addition, everyone should wear a face mask on public transport and in crowded spaces. However, Yong says healthy people don’t need to wear them in outdoor areas such as parks, beaches, and on the street."

..so if you are one of the 90% of farangs riding BTS with no mask while 98% of the thai people do wear masks you stick out like a sore thumb....how about have a tiny bit of respect for the Thai people.  When you are in another country does it not occur to many that it can be good idea to show respect for the cultural norms of your host country?  Would you go into a home in Japan and not remove your shoes?  Would you wear a speedo into a Thai wat? 

While the thai people are too polite to call out all the farangs on the BTS you can be pretty sure that most are likely thinking what a jerk.  It's not going to kill you to wear the damn mask for a few minutes regardless of what your opinion may be regarding mask.  It's about respect.  Have a little class and show some respect to the Thai people. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/15/2023 at 10:02 PM, jaywalker2 said:

What I find amusing is that when the mask mandates were in place, if I lowered my mask even for a second, somebody was sure to tell me to put it back on. I remember I was in Foodland once and one of the employees literally became hysterical because I had lowered my mask in an area where there was no other people. "Put your mask on! Put your mask on!"

Now, I go everywhere without a mask on and despite the fact that 99% of the Thais around me are still wearing masks, nobody cares at all.

You assume they don't care.  Big assumption as many of them may well be looking at you thinking what a damn jerk.

2 minutes ago, pomchop said:

..so if you are one of the 90% of farangs riding BTS with no mask while 98% of the thai people do wear masks you stick out like a sore thumb....how about have a tiny bit of respect for the Thai people.  When you are in another country does it not occur to many that it can be good idea to show respect for the cultural norms of your host country?  Would you go into a home in Japan and not remove your shoes?  Would you wear a speedo into a Thai wat? 

While the thai people are too polite to call out all the farangs on the BTS you can be pretty sure that most are likely thinking what a jerk.  It's not going to kill you to wear the damn mask for a few minutes regardless of what your opinion may be regarding mask.  It's about respect.  Have a little class and show some respect to the Thai people. 

That is a paethic reason to wear a mask....so you don't stand out! 

As for respecting Thai culture...masks are a new thing and not part of their culture. 

Just going along with what everyone else is doing so people don't think bad of you is dumb.  Just being a farang and having different colour skin makes you stand out.. And many Thai people have racist views about farangs with or without a mask.

• Like 2

The science and credible studies in support of face mask wear as helping reduce (not absolutely prevent) the risk of contracting and spreading COVID are overwhelmingly clear.  The WHO supports that, the U.S. CDC supports that, the American Medical Association and countless other public health agencies support that.

Even the Thai doctor in the OP article advised that people should still wear face masks when in crowded indoor places:

"The virologist adds that adults with respiratory diseases should continue to wear face masks outside the home. In addition, everyone should wear a face mask on public transport and in crowded spaces."

The arguments against face mask wear mostly come from right-wing political idealogues and fringe scientists and doctors (whose backgrounds often are in fields unrelated to COVID and infectious diseases) who often publish their opinions in dubious journals, and/or eventually have their writings later pulled or ripped apart by actual experts in the field.

There is an expert consensus on face mask wear as one of several key measures to combat COVID, along with vaccination, social distancing and hygiene practices. But as with anything, there are always going to be a few fringe groups and voices shouting into the wind.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, pomchop said:

You assume they don't care.  Big assumption as many of them may well be looking at you thinking what a damn jerk.

Give me a break. If that were the case, they'd be avoiding you, turning away when you talk to them, and you'd have the nutcases glaring at you. Once the mandates were dropped, they stopped caring. Not once has anyone even given me a second look for not wearing a mask. You really don't know how Thailand works, do you?

Edited by jaywalker2
misspellings
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

I have had no covid shots, only wear mask on public transport or places that insist on it, such as immigration etc. 

During lock downs I went out with my Thai friends and neighbours drinking behind our local village shops. 

I have never had covid, nor has my partner.  

Same here. All this operation was a load of utter BS and everybody is realizing it now, apart from a minority of pathetic fanatics.

• Like 1

A post with a link to an unapproved YouTube source has been removed:

18. Social media content is acceptable in most forums. However in factual areas such as but not limited to news, current affairs and health topics, social media cannot be used unless it is from a credible news media source or a government agency, and must include a link to the original source. In some circumstances a moderator may relax this rule and this will be determined on a case by case basis. If this rule is relaxed a moderator will post a public notice explaining the limit and scope of the relaxation.

19 hours ago, jacko45k said:

A nothing response....... empty of facts when there are so many you could have brought to the table... like China's about turn that has cost them 60,000 lives. By the way, an about turn is 180 degrees not 360 degrees.... great demonstration of putting little thought in one's post!!

'Big brother'... I do not see what that reference is about... !

Do you actually believe any "news" coming out of China? Supposedly, their "zero-Covid" absolute lock-down measures resulted in zero fatalities, but opening the country again, produced queues of corpses at the crematoriums, etc..

Thus: "Lockdowns work, and we'll use them again. And again". Communist propaganda,.

Remember at the start of the pandemic: People in China dropping dead in the street.? Where else in the world did that happen? Does anyone have real life experience of anything similar? *crickets*

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, huangnon said:

Do you actually believe any "news" coming out of China

Well I was cynical when it was reporting extremely low numbers, but that is not the case now, we are getting numbers that are negative for the image of Chins, that is unusual. The link you dispute was actually from CNN, and reportedly from a National Health Commission official. I suspect you did not read it... as it does not fit your agenda. 

9 minutes ago, huangnon said:

Remember at the start of the pandemic: People in China dropping dead in the street.? Where else in the world did that happen? Does anyone have real life experience of anything similar? *crickets*

Yes I do, very very well, people were dying in large numbers in Italy, Peru, Mexico, Brazil was having mass burials using diggers. Corpses in refrigerated trucks in the USA  as morgues overflowed. It was well reported by reputable Western media outlets....again you have a selective memory befitting some agenda. 

Not learning from history is a definition of insanity... and we had an event that has over 6 million deaths attributed to it. It is pretty much over, thank heavens, and we need to move on..... but I am not accepting denial from the Luddites.