Retirement Visa

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

By all means get your reentry permit at same time as your extension.

Think you misunderstood my post.

For those obtaining a non O and subsequent extension that is two separate permits and if you need to exit during the 90 day period of the 90 day stamp you would require a reentry permit to protect that 90 day stamp

My Non-O visa expires on february 11th.

On january 12th I got a one year extension starting on february 11th

Do You mean I could have bought a rentry for that extension on januray 12th ? I understood it would have applied only to the current Non-O visa till february 11th, useless if I do not intend to go out before that date.

Thanks

Edited by daejung

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes and the reentry permit would date from Jan 12 and expire feb 11 2024. 

Too bad for me then.

I thought there were 2 re-entry... one till feb 11th 2023 and a second from feb 11th 2023 til feb 11th 2024 , that the one based on extension would start only on feb 11th 2023 and that it was useless to buy one now because it would have expired next month ????

So I would have had only one re-entry form january 12th and I could have left thailand before feb 11th without losing my extension ?

Edited by daejung

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

It's important for readers to be aware that the reentry permit needs to be purchased AFTER the extension. 

If one was to buy the reentry permit just after obtaining the non O retirement that permit would only be valid till the end of the validity of the stamp from the non O . 

Great post. I was going to ask if the re-entry permit was valid from Non O through to end of 12 month extension. So if you will be leaving Thailand during the Non O stage of the process you will need to get 2 re-entry permits. One re-entry permit for the first 90 days and then another once you get the 1 year extension.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

There is, if the person entered on an OA that allows multiple entries during its validity and then thinks that they are getting a new OA visa (which would allow them multiple entries again) when they're actually getting an extension of permission to stay, which does not come with the multi-entry privilege.

There has been more than one case where people have posted on here (some quite irate) about getting what they thought was a visa renewal, then leaving without a re-entry permit and being told on coming back that they could only get a visa exempt entry for 30 days as their permission to stay was no longer valid.

This meant they had to go through the whole rigamarole of getting a new O visa in country (or going back out to get a new OA visa) - all because they had thought they were getting a visa, rather than an extension of their permit to stay.

There are visas that don't include re-entry. Does that reclassify them as extensions of stay or rather , if I may make up an expression, permissions of stay? Could I say the extension of stay based on a visa is still an ongoing part of that visa but without the re-entry and therefore still a label of visa is not in error?

The dictionary meaning of visa also suggests an extension of stay label would be a visa.

Edited by TimeMachine

1 hour ago, Eddie45 said:

Does anybody know what the Thai Immigration charge for the Non 0 and the 12 month extension.

A non O is 2000baht.

All extensions are 1900baht.

Apart from that you mention ..

"....and the 90 reporting is 1900" 

90 day reporting is free.

Can be done online, in person and via mail. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

Just now, DrJack54 said:

A non O is 2000baht.

All extensions are 1900baht.

Apart from that you mention ..

"....and the 90 reporting is 1900" 

90 day reporting is free.

Can be done online, in person and via mail. 

Thanks for the info

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

"Visa" and "extension" tend to be used interchangeably. Even by lawyers who should and do know the difference.

Just like some farag insist Thai authorities always require to see a "passport" when  what they actually want is some form of ID - of which a Passport is one.  I have never had a problem after beign asked for "Passport" and showing my Thai Drivers Licence (Immigration excepted, of course).   Just because the translation is poor does not mean we should use incorrect terminology.

PH. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

No

Agreed , No, if you accept a  dictionary meaning version such as..

(ˈvizə) (noun plural -sas, verb -saed, -saing) noun. 1. an endorsement made by an authorized representative of one country upon a passport issued by another, permitting the passport holder entry into or transit through the country making the endorsement.

Yes, if you accept the following definition as the meaning of a visa,

noun
noun: visa; plural noun: visas
  1. an endorsement on a passport indicating that the holder is allowed to enter, leave, or stay for a specified period of time in a country.
    "a tourist visa"

Note the word "stay"

Anyway, my conclusion and reasoning says, an extension of stay, can be referred to as a  visa in general terms amongst discussion with myself. In fine print in a legal document there are the obvious differences and should be left as it is in its finest form.ie extension of stay.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

Agreed , No, if you accept a  dictionary meaning version such as..

(ˈvizə) (noun plural -sas, verb -saed, -saing) noun. 1. an endorsement made by an authorized representative of one country upon a passport issued by another, permitting the passport holder entry into or transit through the country making the endorsement.

Yes, if you accept the following definition as the meaning of a visa,

noun
noun: visa; plural noun: visas
  1. an endorsement on a passport indicating that the holder is allowed to enter, leave, or stay for a specified period of time in a country.
    "a tourist visa"

Note the word "stay"

Anyway, my conclusion and reasoning says, an extension of stay, can be referred to as a  visa in general terms amongst discussion with myself. In fine print in a legal document there are the obvious differences and should be left as it is in its finest form.ie extension of stay.

Your posts regarding terms visa , extension etc are all over the shop. 

When someone starts a thread on AseanNow now with statement such as ...." I have a marriage visa" and then proceed to post a question, anyone reading has no idea what they mean.

In my mind they could have a 

1. Non O based on marriage.

2. ME Non O marriage.

3. An extension from a Non O based on marriage. 

The first is a single entry visa that gives a 90 day permission of stay.

The second is a multiple entry visa valid for one year it gives stays of 90 days then you need to exit Thailand (unless you obtain an extension) 

The third is an Extension of stay from a non O giving permission of stay of one year. 

Visa is very different to Extension.

Forget English definitions.

VISA EXTENSION which is a term used even by immigration and is on their walls in offices is short hand type. No such thing animal. 

The same goes for Retirement. 

The expression "I have a Retirement Visa" tells very little.

Could be a valid non O-A.

Could be a non O based on retirement.

Could be an extension based on retirement.

Could even be ME Non O retirement which is a multiple entry visa valid for 12 months based on retirement (not available in many countries) 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Phulublub said:

When discussing things with yourself, it is not uncommon to agree, and also usual to know what you mean even qhen not clear to others.  BUT when discussing with others, it can often be important to use the correct terminology so there is no ambiguity and no unnecessary potential for confusion. 

It is pretty easy to refer visa and extension here in the correct way when asking or answering questions.  Deliberately using the wrong term is just bullheaded and not helpful to anyone.

PH.

Agreed. With myself I know what I mean. With others I will go to lengths to describe in detail.  

6 hours ago, Phulublub said:

When discussing things with yourself, it is not uncommon to agree, and also usual to know what you mean even qhen not clear to others.  BUT when discussing with others, it can often be important to use the correct terminology so there is no ambiguity and no unnecessary potential for confusion. 

It is pretty easy to refer visa and extension here in the correct way when asking or answering questions.  Deliberately using the wrong term is just bullheaded and not helpful to anyone.

PH.

And, when conversions of visa-exempt/tourist visa entries into real genuine McCoy non-immigrant visas of the "O" variety (which have become increasingly popular in recent times for those wishing to ditch original non-OA visas in order to avoid mandatory health insurance requirements in particular) are thrown into the mix as well, the scope for unnecessary confusion as a result of the use of incorrect terminalogy is, I think, even greater nowadays!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

Just now, oldcpu said:

For the OP, in case curious about the experience of some others , ... this is what my timeline was for a One-Year extension on my Permission to Stay based on Retirement on a Type-O Visa:

* 7-October-2022 - entered Thailand visa exempt (obtained 45-day permission to stay until 20-Nov)

* 18-October-2022 - Applied for a 90-day Type-O Visa at immigration based on 'retirement'. They accepted all my paperwork.  I was told to come back to Immigration on 21-Nov, 1-day after my permission to stay expired, and I was told not to worry about my permission to stay expiring the day prior (presumably as I was 'under consideration' although there was no such stamp in my passport).

* 21-November-2022 - Showed up at immigration and was advised my 90-day type-O Visa not yet ready. They kept my passport this time. I was told they would phone me in about 1 week when my passport and Visa were ready to pickup.

* 7-December-2022 - I still had received no phone call from immigration, I was mildly nervous (they had my passport), so I showed up at Immigration, and they had my Passport with the 90-day Type-O visa (for reason of retirement) stamped inside (back dated to 18-November-2022) with a permission to stay until 15-Feb-2023 stamped in the passport.  So I had my passport back with a 90-day Visa.

* 3-January-2023 - I showed up at immigration and applied for a 1-year extension on the Type-O visa, for reason of retirement. They kept my passport.

* 4-January-2023 - I showed up the next day at immigration and picked up my passport, and it had the 1-year extension on my permission to stay stamped in the passport, giving me a permission to stay until 15-February-2024.

Great Post Thanks for the info.

I have been in contact with a visa agent and they have told me if I use them I will need a Bangkok Bank account. I need to pay the Bangkok Bank 3700 Baht to open the account. 500 to open the account, 700 for ATM card and 2500 for Insurance. Is this 2500 insurance a tax I need to pay every year or is it a one off charge. I will have separate insurance so don't need this.

24 minutes ago, Eddie45 said:

Is this 2500 insurance a tax I need to pay every year or is it a one off charge. I will have separate insurance so don't need this.

this is common practice at Banks and especially if you are NOT opening the account yourself but via an Agent there is NO way around it (AFAIK). The Bank Clerk gets a commission from the Bank for selling the insurance.

But the good thing about it, that next year just go to the Bank and cancel it so IMHO it's a one time fee only.

• Like 1

When you do your retirement extension application form TM.7., ask them for TM. 8 and do the application  for a Multiple Re-entry Permit at the same time THB 3800.

You can apply for a Single Re-entry Permit, which is THB 1900 I believe, but as the name suggests, only allows a single re-entry.

Edited by phetphet