You're so American!

Jingthing

2 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

China and India both have more than four times the population of the USA. Why aren’t they more powerful then?

both are potential superpowers in the future.

as far as i'm concerned, the world would probably be better off with "one world govt".

and no superpowers at all ever again. 

no more threats of small countries being invaded. 

imagine there's no countries. john lennon.

Edited by save the frogs

36 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

both are potential superpowers in the future.

as far as i'm concerned, the world would probably be better off with "one world govt".

and no superpowers at all ever again. 

no more threats of small countries being invaded. 

imagine there's no countries. john lennon.

According to quite a few conspiracy believers we already have “one world govt”.

Edited by rudi49jr
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

If all career politicians failed, then how did the USA end up being the super power that it has been for decades? Surely they must have done something right?

Just like in RE... it's location, location, location.  Right side of the tracks (AKA Northern hemisphere), bordering both major oceans, only populated by technologically backward and unorganized natives, no nasty neighbors, truly massive natural resources, decades of virtually free labor from the enslaved, acquired resistance to the diseases they brought with them that devastated the natives  .... no rocket science needed to figure out why they ended up a superpower.

The US became powerful despite having its share of bumbling idiots in charge.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/30/2023 at 5:57 AM, Isaan sailor said:

On the positive side, we’re pretty good tippers, according to those in the tourist and entertainment industries.  And some of us have educations, good writing and speaking skills, and can be considered soft-spoken. And we don’t all wear sleeveless shirts.

Thing is, this kind of discussion will always devolve into stereotypes, which in general don't apply to the majority

The fat humorless Germans

The drunken rowdy Brits

The loud Americans

......and on and on

It's amazing really how the Western world has survived given all these serious character flaws in our national DNA!

He starts the article with.. As an American i always try to blend in when I travel. 

When was the last time you tried to blend in if you're from the US? Just shut up????????.

You don't even know how to do that. 

• Haha 1

On 1/14/2023 at 11:54 AM, Willy Wombat said:

Loud.

whenever travelling anywhere in the world you can always hear them.

Its like they’re announcing that they are American to everybody.

Always hear them from 20m away. Not knowing what a km is. Why are they still using yards and miles?

Still they are mostly more friendly than other farangs.

4 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Thing is, this kind of discussion will always devolve into stereotypes, which in general don't apply to the majority

The fat humorless Germans

The drunken rowdy Brits

The loud Americans

......and on and on

It's amazing really how the Western world has survived given all these serious character flaws in our national DNA!

All farangs are badly flawed.

On 1/30/2023 at 4:57 AM, Isaan sailor said:

On the positive side, we’re pretty good tippers, according to those in the tourist and entertainment industries.  And some of us have educations, good writing and speaking skills, and can be considered soft-spoken. And we don’t all wear sleeveless shirts.

One of the problems as I see it we brought the horrid tipping culture 

I have been told there are good farangs and bad now, those who give money for nothing, then it becomes an expectation. 

34 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

One of the problems as I see it we brought the horrid tipping culture 

I have been told there are good farangs and bad now, those who give money for nothing, then it becomes an expectation. 

If you tip a Thai restaurant  they will think they are undercharging and they will raise their prices 

There's no way I'm not dropping a blue 50 baht note for a 40 baht pad see eew. These nice people are like gasping fish after covid. 

If you think my tipping is in any way making your own life worse, I'll toss you 10 baht if I ever meet you.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

There's no way I'm not dropping a blue 50 baht note for a 40 baht pad see eew. These nice people are like gasping fish after covid. 

If you think my tipping is in any way making your own life worse, I'll toss you 10 baht if I ever meet you.

Its insulting to some people to give them 10 Baht . 

Even beggars would be annoyed at being given just 10 Baht

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Its insulting to some people to give them 10 Baht . 

Even beggars would be annoyed at being given just 10 Baht

That's their problem. Rounding up a bill is more to lighten the wallet. I really don't think staff get insulted at any tips. Rounding up is common and easy for them too.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Saphan said:

That's their problem. Rounding up a bill is more to lighten the wallet. I really don't think staff get insulted at any tips. Rounding up is common and easy for them too.

Tipping doesn't generally happen in Thailand and its not like they have a tip box to empty at the end of the day and giving someone Ten Baht can be insulting

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Tipping doesn't generally happen in Thailand and its not like they have a tip box to empty at the end of the day and giving someone Ten Baht can be insulting

I see Thais tip. So yes it does happen. They dont tip 10 baht, they say keep the change in restaurants. Thais will tip 20 or 50 baht for massages.

If the restaurant bill is 985 baht giving 1000 baht and letting them keep it is common. No it's not insulting. It's just practical.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Saphan said:

I see Thais tip. So yes it does happen. They dont tip 10 baht, they say keep the change in restaurants. Thais will tip 20 or 50 baht for massages.

If the restaurant bill is 985 baht giving 1000 baht and letting them keep it is common. No it's not insulting. It's just practical.

Well , I didn't say that it doesn't happen, I did say that its not not the normal regular thing and we are talking about ten baht , rather than keeping the change from 1000 Baht

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Well , I didn't say that it doesn't happen, I did say that its not not the normal regular thing and we are talking about ten baht , rather than keeping the change from 1000 Baht

I've seen it happen lots by Thais. Groups of 10 or more usually tip. If food is good 100 baht tip. Thais don't want coin change same as farangs.

Edited by Saphan
  • Thumbs Up 1

In a no service charge place, I give 10%.

When I lived in Kyoto, there was a goofball myth that Japanese servers would chase you down the street to return a tip. Suffice it to say that this never happened a single time in the history of the universe.

I'll put a snooty, easily insulted som tum pounder in the same unicorn category.