Thailand Road Carnage: Car piles into cyclists in south - one dead seven injured

webfact

cb0b39c71257498578d2b6e88219d673e83019a969ab3caba286cb38d152cdfa.jpg

Picture: Siam Rath

Siam Rath reported on a collision between a white Yaris and a group of ten cyclists going along the Nakhon Sri Thammarat to Surat Thani Road in the Ban Khao Fai area yesterday at 6.53 am.

They said there was CCTV evidence that a group of ten cyclists had passed uneventfully.

But in a second group a white car was seen plowing into the cyclists.

e45776d3f9aa17a21a7edc1cecd6b42456fac674f36708b8f9bbb80f4c85f820.jpg

The car then hit a parked pick-up.

Seven cyclists were injured and one, Kasidech, 32, was declared dead at the scene.

6dcea6482da467ef48601235d44ccda57952c7e3aba10b67c6d92fa76aede384.jpg

Natthaphon from Surat Thani, the driver of the Yaris, was taken away for alcohol testing and interrogation. 

Police promised a full investigation utilizing witness statements and CCTV evidence in the case. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-01-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

every day we read of news that more people have died through completely necessary and utterly avoidable incidents

Are you sure about that Richard? Necessary and utterly avoidable???? Ops!  ????

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Gottfrid said:
6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

every day we read of news that more people have died through completely necessary and utterly avoidable incidents

Are you sure about that Richard? Necessary and utterly avoidable???? Ops!  ????

An obvious typo but too late to correct...

... unnecessary 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Aussieroaming said:

Another cyclist killer scumbag. It's happens here far too often, just another activity that is far more dangerous than it should be. If the buses, trucks, utilities or cars don't get you then the motocy's will get as close as possible. In Bangkok it is an adrenaline packed exercise activity, where white knuckle riding is the norm.

Agreed....  I used to ride to Polo Football park from Sukhumvit 16...  

Only need to cross main road (bad enough here) and the it was a pleasant ride alone a quiet cycle lane running alongside the Khlong....  But and then about 400m of smaller road at the other end.

It was the motorcyclist that were a major issue.... when cycling even at 20kmh they’d pull out in front of you.. They’d look, see you, but pull out anyway...  Something in their subconscious that you are nothing, almost not there... I had to brake hard so many times... 

At one point a motorcycle-taxi just passed me, then pulled to an immediate stop in front of me... nowhere to go I hit the brakes but took a minor spill anyway, not much I could do, there were another 5 MC taxi guys sat across the road watching... (he couldn’t have done a better job taking me out if he tried)... the worst part... the MC Taxi had no idea what he’d done....

IMO in central Bangkok it is motorcycles that pose the greatest thread to cyclists other motorcyclists and pedestrians. 

• Like 2

The government here in Udon Thani has been on a quest to remove all vestiges of cycling lanes.   The effort has been going on for some time now as the cycling lanes were put in place several years ago have been slowing becoming useless through a total lack of upkeep and deliberate removal.  It's apparent that the city is not only unfriendly towards cyclists but also pedestrians as absolutely NOTHING has been done to improve the safety of established "zebra " crossings. 

Not the first time such a terrible accident with cyclist has happened.

Also remember tragic deaths of "round the world" cyclists who found their end in Thailand.

3 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Another cyclist killer scumbag. It's happens here far too often,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed....  I used to ride to Polo Football park from Sukhumvit 16...  

Only need to cross main road (bad enough here) and the it was a pleasant ride alone a quiet cycle lane running alongside the Khlong....  But and then about 400m of smaller road at the other end.

It was the motorcyclist that were a major issue.... when cycling even at 20kmh they’d pull out in front of you.. They’d look, see you, but pull out anyway...  Something in their subconscious that you are nothing, almost not there... I had to brake hard so many times... 

At one point a motorcycle-taxi just passed me, then pulled to an immediate stop in front of me... nowhere to go I hit the brakes but took a minor spill anyway, not much I could do, there were another 5 MC taxi guys sat across the road watching... (he couldn’t have done a better job taking me out if he tried)... the worst part... the MC Taxi had no idea what he’d done....

IMO in central Bangkok it is motorcycles that pose the greatest thread to cyclists other motorcyclists and pedestrians. 

All your experience, 100% recognizable.

I just come back from Hua-hin to my home 45 km away, I counting many without light, cars motorbikes, you name it, or driving 50km/hr on the highway, etc., etc......

• Like 1

Thai punishment for people causing motor vehicles accidents are tiny, especially for personal injury accidents. The punishment, when cause bodily harm to a person by motor vehicles, criminal law 390, should provide a minimum fine of 10,000 baht or more plus optional prison sentences of up to 5 years

The dead cyclist is dead.
Bad Karma

Amen

The 6 "injured" cyclists will have to continue their life with losed limbs, proplably handicapped for life (= no income), high hospital expenses, etc.

People only look at the 65+ deaths a day on the Thai roads, but don't think of the 1 million people who get injured on thai roads and are left with immense bills and a future as a handicapped person.

Sad