Thai tourism industry desperate for staff - Labour ministry arranges students to make High Season shortfall

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported that representatives from the Thai tourism and service industries had appealed for help at the Labour Ministry.

Following the pandemic they have been unable to get enough migrant workers to fill staff positions.

The problem is most acute in Phuket, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Phangnga and Surat Thani, said minister Suchart Chomklin.

He said that Thai PM Prayuth Chan-ocha had said this was an important issue that needed addressing as Thailand's tourism sector recovers post pandemic.

Suchart said that he had put deputy Bunchorp Sutthamanswong in charge of working on the problem.

Bunchorp said that a survey had been done nationwide to identify what was needed in hotels, restaurants and other businesses.

It was ascertained that Phuket needed 3,648 workers, Chiang Mai 858, Chonburi 594, Phangnga 410 and Surat Thani 349 staff.

Top of the needs were for front of house staff at hotels such as receptionists and porters.

Servers were needed in restaurants, cleaners and maids were required too; chefs and kitchen staff and cashiers made up the five most wanted type of positions.

In order to make up the shortfall university students and 18 year olds still at secondary school (M6) are being drafted in.

They will get work-experience.

They normally only do this in the low season but with a high need right now the Labour Ministry are working on ways to allocate students to take up the slack.

The media reported that operators in the industry were pleased with the ministry's efforts to address their problems. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-01-19

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

A daypay for a waiter at open restaurant opposite Big C at Ratchada (from 4pm till closing time) is 400 THB + tips. Not many eager to attend )

I wonder what sort of M6 kids who are going to enroll in Universities will enjoy work-experience as such:

Top of the needs were for front of house staff at hotels such as receptionists and porters.

Servers were needed in restaurants, cleaners and maids were required too; chefs and kitchen staff and cashiers made up the five most wanted type of positions.

ROFL: between chemistry lessons and applied math stand in front of some <deleted> hole and greet farangs with their tilacs. 

You can't meke it up:

They will get work-experience.

• Like 1

I feel certain the migrant workers haven't forgotten the way they were treated as Covid-19 arrived in Thailand and are loathe to return. On a side note I have noticed a big upturn in pretty girls, tattoos and all, with great English skills now working the tills in 7-11's in the North-East.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, rbkk said:

I feel certain the migrant workers haven't forgotten the way they were treated as Covid-19 arrived in Thailand and are loathe to return. On a side note I have noticed a big upturn in pretty girls, tattoos and all, with great English skills now working the tills in 7-11's in the North-East.

Good point... had nearly forgotten about that.....migrant workers dumped at a bus station and told 'make your own way'......

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

pay 350 THB a day for more than 12 hrs work and mostly 7 days a week....Who want a job like that?? And as we could read immigrants are not allowed to work, as jobs Thais can do are not allowed to do by immigrants....Yes indeed a problem... Maybe 600 THB a day not bad, but better a monthly wage and at least 4/5 days off at 15Ka month would do better 

• Thumbs Up 1

I remember a time when Thai's needed to travel to get work. That is not the case now where I am. Far more employment options around here. As I write this the local klong thom market is packed with shoppers and sellers.

Part of the problem is that many of these companies that struggle to find staff put age restrictions on their recruitment.

My wife has got a hospitality management degree from Udon Thai University, speaks and writes very good english and worked for 10 years as a senior PA in a law firm in Bangkok as the Managing Directors PA.

She recently decided to return to work but as a 42 year old she sees many roles that she could fill that have age restrictions that preclude her from applying. So there are probably many other educated "middle aged" people with prior positive work experience that want to return to work but struggle to reintergrate into the workforce due to age prejudice.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

pay 350 THB a day for more than 12 hrs work and mostly 7 days a week....Who want a job like that?? And as we could read immigrants are not allowed to work, as jobs Thais can do are not allowed to do by immigrants....Yes indeed a problem... Maybe 600 THB a day not bad, but better a monthly wage and at least 4/5 days off at 15Ka month would do better 

Better to pay by the hour, say 100฿

19 hours ago, ezzra said:

I hear Twitter and Microsoft and other big Tech companies are firing tens of thousands of workers...

True, but they don't have that one thing that makes this land so great: a Thai smile. 

• Haha 1