Tips on dealing with the regional SSA office in Manila

JTXR

o update this B S from Manila FBU we received a letter from SSA baltimore that THEY WILL PAY 19,128 USD APRIL 7 and also 1.696 USD

April 3 to our Bangkok Bank account... Guess what it was NEVER SENT

IT WAS NEVER DELIVERED0 only the letter from Baltimore Office Of Central Operations was received at our home   

it is a fact that USA  Office Of International Central  Operations. P.O. BOX  17769 Baltimore, Maryland  21235 - 7769 U.S.A.   March letter

BNC#23T224A98213=A is another gross negligent letter inside the SSA.GOV beehive scattered  dark hole filed bit bucket lost forever!

nothing was done to invsatigate no actionwas taken once again only silent  ignorance of problem solution facing scattered untrained FBU

SSA paid Manila civil servants...  The temporary GHOST SSA.GOV Deputy Director Of International operations hides under their 164,000 paid office desk while FBU SSA Manila is cooking up job salary protection excuses to report cover up under educated foul performance,,,, so we give up our money and can only report FBU out of control ivory tower pyramid at Manila inform USA citizens SSA.GOV customer 6 hour service at Manila....

We asked Manila to process SSA.GOV Direct Express Master Card payment.. SSA advertised and offered Benefits deposits and a Debit Card method of payment offered to people who do not have Thailand bank account, paid benefits to people traveling inernational using DEBIT MASTER CARD filed with your SSA benefit deposited money every month.... FBU SSA agent Manila response ?  we do not have information,,,, so we told the brain dead FBU Manila agent we have applied direct onthe SSA 800 phone number and was approved by an African American supervisor at Chicago no SSA name  ,,,,,,,, So where is our SSA Debit Card?  Manila no name agent reply will check into this and we never heard again from this FBU Manila child agent...

To help older retired USA citizens understand SSA.GOV offering direct deposit to a SSA Master Card use application form DIRECT EXPRESS

any USA citizens please offer your experience

35 minutes ago, tamy said:

o update this B S from Manila FBU we received a letter from SSA baltimore that THEY WILL PAY 19,128 USD APRIL 7 and also 1.696 USD

IT WAS NEVER DELIVERED0 only the letter from Baltimore Office Of Central Operations was received at our home   

it is a fact that USA  Office Of International Central  Operations. P.O. BOX  17769 Baltimore, Maryland  21235 - 7769 U.S.A.   March letter

BNC#23T224A98213=A is another gross negligent letter inside the SSA.GOV beehive scattered  dark hole filed bit bucket lost forever!

nothing was done to invsatigate no actionwas taken once again only silent  ignorance of problem solution facing scattered untrained FBU

SSA paid Manila civil servants...  The temporary GHOST SSA.GOV Deputy Director Of International operations hides under their 164,000 paid office desk while FBU SSA Manila is cooking up job salary protection excuses to report cover up under educated foul performance,,,, so we give up our money and can only report FBU out of control ivory tower pyramid at Manila inform USA citizens SSA.GOV customer 6 hour service at Manila....

We asked Manila to process SSA.GOV Direct Express Master Card payment.. SSA advertised and offered Benefits deposits and a Debit Card method of payment offered to people who do not have Thailand bank account, paid benefits to people traveling inernational using DEBIT MASTER CARD filed with your SSA benefit deposited money every month.... FBU SSA agent Manila response ?  we do not have information,,,, so we told the brain dead FBU Manila agent we have applied direct onthe SSA 800 phone number and was approved by an African American supervisor at Chicago no SSA name  ,,,,,,,, So where is our SSA Debit Card?  Manila no name agent reply will check into this and we never heard again from this FBU Manila child agent...

To help older retired USA citizens understand SSA.GOV offering direct deposit to a SSA Master Card use application form DIRECT EXPRESS  https://faq.ssa.gov/en-US/Topic/article/KA-02429

any USA citizens please offer your experience   

https://faq.ssa.gov/en-US/Topic/article/KA-02429

35 minutes ago, tamy said:

@tamy you should be aware that the US Direct Express debit card has HIGH fees if used outside the USA.

ATM withdrawals are $3 plus 3% of amount withdrawn plus you will also pay the 220 ฿ fee that Thailand charges for using foreign cards at ATM's.

Purchases at a merchant have a 3% fee as well.  It appears you can't get a "cash advance" at the teller with that card outside of USA.

You really need a trusted friend or relative to help you to deal with the SSA.

8 hours ago, tamy said:

Did you contact Bangkok Bank to see if a payment(s) had indeed been sent to your acct "BUT" maybe Bangkok Bank rejected it back to SSA.  Bangkok Bank will reject or place on hold a reoccurring U.S. govt payment sent via the ACH system (i.e., using the NY Branch ACH routing number) if the payment is sent to a Bangkok Bank acct that is not setup as a special/restricted acct to receive U.S. govt reoccurring pension payments via ACH.    If Bangkok Bank did reject the payment(s) then the SSA will wait for you to contact them and/or they will send  you a letter saying your bank rejected the payment and you need to work that issue....get back with SSA with a good payment account.  

Now if you setup your SSA payment as an International Direct Deposit (IDD) which uses the SWIFT system then the SSA payment can go into a regular Thai bank acct (any Thai bank)....even a regular Bangkok Bank acct.   

Since you do not seem to be a person who is "unbanked" (i.e., do not have any bank acct) going the Direct Express card route is kinda an expensive way to go due to card fee and foreign transaction fees.  Going the Direct Express card if living outside the U.S. should be a last resort type affair.  

Hello and thank you for your time to comment

To clarify snd sdvise older retired USA citizens living in Thailand

there is two methods to receive SSA benefits... One is the use of

Bangkok Bank FDA located in New York that forwards the money

to your bank in Thailand but restricts the pickup to be in person with a passport this is the ACH method using a triangle delivery from New York......

The new updated method is the SWIFT methoid using your Thailand

ATM or Credit card Bangkok Bank account number that do not need

a passport personal cash pickup the SSA.GOV form name IDD SWIFT form is  svsilsble for download to every international country here

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-1199.html 

This form was signed by Thailand Bank Of Bangkok office manager

and then mailed to Manila FBU and then verified by USA SSA.GOV who then sent IDD deposit last year to our ATM debit card account....

Changing subject to DIRECT EXPRESS SSA ATM DEBIT card please

read the offering you can take cash out with a form and use the

card same as a standard original USA CREDIT card but SSA will not assign a credit card it assign a DEBIT card that has to have money deposited every month your SSA  Benefit deposit money to your DEBIT card

12 minutes ago, tamy said:

To clarify snd sdvise older retired USA citizens living in Thailand

there is two methods to receive SSA benefits...

...or use the method I use (which works):

Have the SSA direct deposit your benefit into your US bank account and then transfer funds to your Thai bank ......  or use ATMs in Thailand to withdrawal funds as needed.

To GET back to SSA BENEFIT payments subject DIRECT EXPRESS SSA ATM DEBIT card issued to pay international any location any time a

MasterCard services as ATM bank or merchant is located, Yes you

can with draw cash. NO you do not need a THAILAND BANK ACCOUNT

If a retired USA citizen desire to travel to other countries they can use

the SSA.GOV issued DEBIT MASTERCARD at ATM and or merchant or

airline etc online offline locations,,,  

A Thailand BANK account demands a Immigration validated 6 month

residential VISA to open a Thailand Bank account no need and USA

citizens retired traveling can pay using the SSA DIRECT EXPRESS CARD

There are many bank laws and restrictions coming all over the globe

that shall restrict USA dollar circulation. The SSA issued Direct Express

Mastert Card do not need a Thailand or other country restricted application documents just to open a Thailand bank account

https://www.usdirectexpress.com/faq.html

https://www.usdirectexpress.com/how_it_works.html

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=lm&q=Direct+Express&ia=web

Please help older retired USA citizens share your thoughts share your

ideas and thank you all for help with SSA retirement solutions

God Bless You

16 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

The nice folks at the Manila office

"Nice" isn't the first adjective I would use to describe my impression of FBU Manila.

I'm looking for a word that encompasses undertrained, understaffed, poor reading comprehension, unmotivated, unsupervised.  Thankfully, my need for such a term only recently surfaced.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, tamy said:

God Bless you Yellowtail  

Thank you, he has. 

we are happy you succeeded to setup your

RESUDENTIAL USA HOME ADDRESS AND PHONE BANKING SECURITY

executed by the USA employed SSA/GOV agents couple of years ago

and the only job pperformed at and by Robert Jocson at Manila or

his office ladies was to fax a copy of ypur USA address your USA bank

your USA dedicated application to be handled at and by USA SSA agents...   Wonder full and we are happy for your success and K bank

once a year to Thailand wire transffer....  

Our situation is not the same because we have left the USA 2006 and

have sold our house as is all property recorded by court documents

as a huge cash settlement split divorce.  We have never returned to the USA and have enjoyed the warm ocean white sand beaches the great

food and traveling the South East Asian paradise past 17 years history!

I moved to Thailand full-time in October '99

To regain focus ON MANILA we initiated that means began started the

SSA International contact and  application process not as a resident of

the USA and had no longer any family or friends alive as a responsible and senile not mentally retarded USA  connection was the basis to plan our retirement and burrial on the paradise islands of South East Asia;;;  We may assume that is a reason why people OVER THE AGE OF

70 would want to move pernament and retire in warmer friendly South East Asia countries.

It is unfortunate that the out of control  Social Security pyramid beehive has completely farmed out civil service fiduciary duties to

a scattered Manila FBU under educated under motivated agents

who perform simple basic functions can not answer email can not answer questions have no interest solving USA citizen SSA problems

The SSA.GOV problems are handled in a efficient accountable and responsible timely manner inside the USA SSA.GOV by agents with

instant top down solutions to problems with SSA customers inside the USA...   This is NOT THE MANILA FBU OPERATIONS out of control

under an isolated GHOST TEMPORARY  DEPUTY DIRECTOR of the Office of SSA.GOV International  Opoerations...  

Our problem is the biased prejudiced emtional damge built up over

12 years under the inability of a child called Robert Jocson to handle

a simple USA certified SSA.GOV application for a renewal SSA card...

That was 13 years ago and if you Yellowtail  have had physical experience traveling to USA Embassy several times to file rubber stamp certify SSA.GOV paper forms that was to be mailed certified

intercepted under the MANILA FBU orders from Robert Jocson etc etc than trashed under the prejudiced bias of Robert Jocson and

his influence over the Manila SBU paid ladies.....  

Let us stop bickering here GOD BLESS YOU and stay happy to able

to receive your USA bank deposited SSA.GOV money as is we have lost it all and er blame MANILA FBU ROBERT JOCSON BECAUSE his

name was printed on the SSA forms mailed by the USA Embassy 12 years ago///   peace be with you and bless you 

Go with go brother. 

There are many bank laws and restrictions coming all over the globe

that shall restrict USA dollar circulation. The SSA issued Direct Express

Mastert Card do not need a Thailand or other country restricted application documents just to open a Thailand bank account

https://www.usdirectexpress.com/faq.html

https://www.usdirectexpress.com/how_it_works.html

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=lm&q=Direct+Express&ia=web

Please help older retired USA citizens share your thoughts share your

ideas and thank you all for help with SSA retirement solutions

God Bless You

3 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

"Nice" isn't the first adjective I would use to describe my impression of FBU Manila.

I'm looking for a word that encompasses undertrained, understaffed, poor reading comprehension, unmotivated, unsupervised.  Thankfully, my need for such a term only recently surfaced.

I'm thinking everyone is different as well as everyone has their own standards and opinions. Sort of like dealing with certain Immigration offices and officers. 

My experience with the FBU Manila representative who contacted me was very good. She was NICE, knowledgeable, and very understanding. As for the process and being able to contact the FBU, that's a totally different opinion.

3 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

I'm thinking everyone is different as well as everyone has their own standards and opinions. Sort of like dealing with certain Immigration offices and officers. 

My experience with the FBU Manila representative who contacted me was very good. She was NICE, knowledgeable, and very understanding. As for the process and being able to contact the FBU, that's a totally different opinion.

Indeed, generally "A man reaps what he sows."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

FBU Manila seems to have problems. I'm American, single, 62, no dependents, no complications...recent retiree.Last August, I began receiving benefits into my Vietnam bank acct. But then suddenly, payments sputtered out. It went like this:

Aug--received

Sep--received

Oct--no

Nov--received

December--no

Jan,2023--no

Feb--no

March--no

April--no

May--no

I'd used their online inquiry MANY times, and received varied responses, such as, "your bank info not correct" (impossible, since it worked before/nothing changed.)

Then it was "We've re-instated benefits, please wait 7-10 days" but NOTHING.

Then it was "It appears bank info incorrect" again. WTF?

They don't answer phone calls,and my lovely friends, who've been helping me survive, are about to wring my neck. I'm wondering why FBU Manila can't seem to simply try to deposit/if unsuccessful-contact me so I can change bank or?

Anyway, that's my story. It's frustrating,because I want to exit Vietnam and live in Thailand, but......

7 hours ago, mel2surf said:

FBU Manila seems to have problems. I'm American, single, 62, no dependents, no complications...recent retiree.Last August, I began receiving benefits into my Vietnam bank acct. But then suddenly, payments sputtered out. It went like this:

Aug--received

Sep--received

Oct--no

Nov--received

December--no

Jan,2023--no

Feb--no

March--no

April--no

May--no

I'd used their online inquiry MANY times, and received varied responses, such as, "your bank info not correct" (impossible, since it worked before/nothing changed.)

They don't answer phone calls,and my lovely friends, who've been helping me survive, are about to wring my neck. I'm wondering why FBU Manila can't seem to simply try to deposit/if unsuccessful-contact me so I can change bank or?

Anyway, that's my story. It's frustrating,because I want to exit Vietnam and live in Thailand, but......

That's odd. Once mine started it never missed beat. 

9 hours ago, mel2surf said:

Aug--received

Sep--received

Oct--no

Nov--received

December--no

Jan,2023--no

Feb--no

March--no

April--no

May--no

Anyway, that's my story. It's frustrating, because I want to exit Vietnam and live in Thailand, but......

Sounds like your Vietnam bank is rejecting the payment back to SSA for some reason.   SSA sees payments that are bounced back as incorrect bank info. 

What has your Vietnam bank told you as to why they started rejecting/sending back the SSA payments....OR, has the bank confirmed to you that no SSA payments have been received to send back?   

Until you find out what your Vietnam bank says about the issue you are probably spinning your wheels with the SSA.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Posts with incorrect format, bold text, ALL Capa and extensive content have been removed .

An introduction or brief explanation and a link to the source document is the correct format.

If you wish to share other FULL content of documents etc do it in PM .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Manila SSA office has been really helpful getting my and my son's benefits. 

Really easier to work with than my office in the US. 

It is easy to be a cheerleader when you are lucky enough to have a plain vanilla SSA application.

It is obvious from the various threads about FBU Manila that they struggle to resolve problems or complications.

My retirement benefit application was not a normal one.  It was filed using a method that has since been discontinued and was never a common type of claim.  Manila made a very silly date error that caused a delay of almost a year in receiving any payments.  They subsequently claimed that it was my fault, but I can assure you I it was not as I am very well versed in the regulations that must be satisfied for that application.

I also have two other issues with collecting my full benefits due because of two mistakes by the SSA (not Manila).  Three years ago, I sent complete details of the issues to my original office in USA and received no  response.  I must have called SSA's 800# thirty times trying to get them to review my account... still nothing.  I also sent Manila complete details and asked them to prepare to discuss them when they call me for my application to switch benefits.  They don't respond or even acknowledge receipt of the email for 6 weeks now.  When I got the telephone call last Friday.... guess what ... their staff knew nothing of my issues and only wanted to rush through the interview for my new application.

Since you don't really offer any help to those having problems with Manila, I think your input is not assisting in finding resolutions.

I called SSA's 800# again and asked if there is a way to get some attention to the issues with my SSA benefits.  I mentioned all the attempts I've made to get SSA's attention but have always been ignored.

The first representative I spoke to gave me a phone number for an SSA department in Baltimore, MD.  The rep said I could request a call from them or attempt to connect by calling them.  I explained that I live in Thailand (11 hrs. time difference) and so I chose to call them.  After many many calls that were never answered, I called SSA back and arranged to hopefully have them call me during the first 2 hours after their office opens.

The first rep said that there are many different numbers to call and a range of SSN's is assigned to each of the telephone #'s.  The SSA phone number did not have a wait-on-hold option so re-dialing was required when my calls went unanswered.

I haven't been called yet, but it's only been 4 days since my last call to 800 #.

The sole embedded purpose of US America Social Security Agency is advice and assist and instruct and to
follow up delivery of pension money removed from USA citizens pay checks employed over 40 years.

The Internal revenue W2 pay check filed forms and the Social Security Administration incorporate only 9
digit number to file and identify citizen records stored on a SSA.GOV central data computer location.

This subject header is focused on SSA.GOV fiduciary services to US America citizens retired outside the
United States of America and therefore re routed from USA SSA.GOV to the Filippines FBU operations.

US American citizens can not receive personal face to face supported instructions that are part of the
USA SSA,GOV, at home land, a walk in support service.

The US American citizens who do not work for USA .SSA.GOV are forced to follow the re routed demands and
instructions from FBU Manila agents. Benefits / pension applications and proceedures are completely isolated
from timely updated central International SSA.GOV support. The time delays average 6 months and delayed
SSA.GOV benefit payments are lost in a dark hole trashed if FBU Manila demands another piece of paper
verified at the USA Embassy then recycled again for 6 months and so there is no SSA.GOV instant update       

Thank you for your disclosures about filing SSA.GOV benefits at the USA Embassy using the pre printed
forms offered at the USA Embassy. Yes you and every body else was only following the demands and orders
of Manila FBU to go to the USA Embassy and get certified! The USA Embassy up to 2018 offered paper forms
and special contract agreement to pickup SSA.GOV paper checks in person every month with a passport!!

The USA Embassy, USA State Department mailed notice 2018 they shall no longer assist with SSA.GOV and
all USA citizens must contact FBU Manila direct and the USA Embassy can now only verify documents
with a rubber stamp signature, there are no longer SSA.GOV application forms at the USA Embassy!

It is the responsibility of a USA citizen to follow obey the demands as instructed under Manila FBU in
order to pursue the collection of retirement benfits that was already filed and re routed delayed
scatered over several years of pursuing a simple 9 digit taxed identity retirement benefit money.

It is not a perfect world and not every USA citizen has a USA support team, no USA bank account, no USA friends
or relatives alive or senile helping collect SSA.GOV money inside USA applied support.

It is not a perfect world some people make things happen some people wait for things to happen some people just
dont care what happen,  Except for USA citizens who are having serious trouble and legal complaints under
extreme stress of Manila FBU ignored delayed zero problem solutions to follow up FBU orders / demnds

Above here the real facts, a history created by Manila FBU SSA.GOV asigned cover ups... The people
as USA citizens have spoken and so want problem solutions not emotions to receive retirement money!

If you have SSA.GOV money delivery problem comments, then stay inside a step by step explicit detail explanation
of what solution did you get SSA money from FBU SSA.GOV agents. Help and instruct old USA citizens
step by step what happen to your Social Security American pension benefit delivery application to the
country of Thailand. This is for the few old people isolated, retired, USA citizens living in Thailand

These USA citizens do not work for the USA Government! They only follow the scattered SSA orders and demands of
temporary Manila FBU agents, if available, periods of 6 month delayed Manila FBU correspondence cycles.

USA citizens are stranded left isolated and waiting for Manila postage delivery, delayed abouts every 6 months.
There is no top down assigned supervisory assistance available and US citizens are plain ignored problem resolution
receive no money just left waiting completely ignored treated as dead enemy soldiers who lost their dog tags.  

This herein topic has nothing to do with temporary USA visitors or family of USA citizens who already started
Social Security applications recorded in person at a walk in face to face USA.GOV office. This topic is
to help understand unresolved, unknown, extreme delays to problem solutions using your 9 digit SSA.GOV
identity outside the United States Of America

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, exant said:

The sole embedded purpose of US America Social Security Agency is advice and assist and instruct and to
follow up delivery of pension money removed from USA citizens pay checks employed over 40 years.

The Internal revenue W2 pay check filed forms and the Social Security Administration incorporate only 9
digit number to file and identify citizen records stored on a SSA.GOV central data computer location.

This subject header is focused on SSA.GOV fiduciary services to US America citizens retired outside the
United States of America and therefore re routed from USA SSA.GOV to the Filippines FBU operations.

US American citizens can not receive personal face to face supported instructions that are part of the
USA SSA,GOV, at home land, a walk in support service.

The US American citizens who do not work for USA .SSA.GOV are forced to follow the re routed demands and
instructions from FBU Manila agents. Benefits / pension applications and proceedures are completely isolated
from timely updated central International SSA.GOV support. The time delays average 6 months and delayed
SSA.GOV benefit payments are lost in a dark hole trashed if FBU Manila demands another piece of paper
verified at the USA Embassy then recycled again for 6 months and so there is no SSA.GOV instant update       

Thank you for your disclosures about filing SSA.GOV benefits at the USA Embassy using the pre printed
forms offered at the USA Embassy. Yes you and every body else was only following the demands and orders
of Manila FBU to go to the USA Embassy and get certified! The USA Embassy up to 2018 offered paper forms
and special contract agreement to pickup SSA.GOV paper checks in person every month with a passport!!

The USA Embassy, USA State Department mailed notice 2018 they shall no longer assist with SSA.GOV and
all USA citizens must contact FBU Manila direct and the USA Embassy can now only verify documents
with a rubber stamp signature, there are no longer SSA.GOV application forms at the USA Embassy!

It is the responsibility of a USA citizen to follow obey the demands as instructed under Manila FBU in
order to pursue the collection of retirement benfits that was already filed and re routed delayed
scatered over several years of pursuing a simple 9 digit taxed identity retirement benefit money.

It is not a perfect world and not every USA citizen has a USA support team, no USA bank account, no USA friends
or relatives alive or senile helping collect SSA.GOV money inside USA applied support.

It is not a perfect world some people make things happen some people wait for things to happen some people just
dont care what happen,  Except for USA citizens who are having serious trouble and legal complaints under
extreme stress of Manila FBU ignored delayed zero problem solutions to follow up FBU orders / demnds

Above here the real facts, a history created by Manila FBU SSA.GOV asigned cover ups... The people
as USA citizens have spoken and so want problem solutions not emotions to receive retirement money!

If you have SSA.GOV money delivery problem comments, then stay inside a step by step explicit detail explanation
of what solution did you get SSA money from FBU SSA.GOV agents. Help and instruct old USA citizens
step by step what happen to your Social Security American pension benefit delivery application to the
country of Thailand. This is for the few old people isolated, retired, USA citizens living in Thailand

These USA citizens do not work for the USA Government! They only follow the scattered SSA orders and demands of
temporary Manila FBU agents, if available, periods of 6 month delayed Manila FBU correspondence cycles.

USA citizens are stranded left isolated and waiting for Manila postage delivery, delayed abouts every 6 months.
There is no top down assigned supervisory assistance available and US citizens are plain ignored problem resolution
receive no money just left waiting completely ignored treated as dead enemy soldiers who lost their dog tags.  

This herein topic has nothing to do with temporary USA visitors or family of USA citizens who already started
Social Security applications recorded in person at a walk in face to face USA.GOV office. This topic is
to help understand unresolved, unknown, extreme delays to problem solutions using your 9 digit SSA.GOV
identity outside the United States Of America

Wow!

• Haha 2

@exant have you followed up on any of the suggestions that others have given regarding your problem?

Ranting to the AseanNow members isn't going to help you if you aren't willing to try what others suggest or steps others have tried when experiencing their own issues.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

The OP should try calling Robert Jocson directly. 

Whenever I've called FBU Manila, no body every answers.  I only tried about 8 times on different days during the 6 hours a week they claim to accept calls.

Manila also ignored my emails when I requested that they be prepared to discuss the problems I have with my current SSA benefits when they called me to verify my recent change of benefit application.

Edited by gamb00ler

• 2 weeks later...

Based on all the dialogue, above -- if you're getting SS retirement checks prior to moving to Thailand, do two things: Don't notify Manila you now live in Thailand; and, two, keep your US bank account open to receive your SS direct deposits. Then, you can move whatever amount of SS dollars to Thailand you'd like, using a service like Wise.

Get a mail forwarding address, and update your My SSA account with it (they don't require a physical address, so your move to Thailand is not noticed. You look just like an RVer, moving from camp ground to camp ground). Updates to your SS, then, are either by mail thru your mail forwarding service -- or downloaded from your SSA account.

Completely legal. Only need to notify the SS administration, if you're getting retirement payments, if you move to Cuba or North Korea. Otherwise, the only SS recipients that need to notify SS of leaving the States for over 30 days, are SSI recipients (i.e., the welfare group). This is where the confusion occurs about having to let Manila know of your move to Thailand -- if you're getting retirement, not SSI, no legal requirement to notify Manila.

And no "are you alive" letters. Ethically, I have no problem ducking this item, since when I croak, the wife's notification to get her Air Force survivor benefit alerts SS of my death.

Not sure how easy it is to begin SS from an online account, if you've moved to Thailand. Believe they ask a lot of questions to verify your US existence. But I may be wrong; in which case, certainly initiating benefits online would beat going through Manila (based on all the sour reports earlier in this thread).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Based on all the dialogue, above -- if you're getting SS retirement checks prior to moving to Thailand, do two things: Don't notify Manila you now live in Thailand; and, two, keep your US bank account open to receive your SS direct deposits. Then, you can move whatever amount of SS dollars to Thailand you'd like, using a service like Wise.

Get a mail forwarding address, and update your My SSA account with it (they don't require a physical address, so your move to Thailand is not noticed. You look just like an RVer, moving from camp ground to camp ground). Updates to your SS, then, are either by mail thru your mail forwarding service -- or downloaded from your SSA account.

Completely legal. Only need to notify the SS administration, if you're getting retirement payments, if you move to Cuba or North Korea. Otherwise, the only SS recipients that need to notify SS of leaving the States for over 30 days, are SSI recipients (i.e., the welfare group). This is where the confusion occurs about having to let Manila know of your move to Thailand -- if you're getting retirement, not SSI, no legal requirement to notify Manila.

And no "are you alive" letters. Ethically, I have no problem ducking this item, since when I croak, the wife's notification to get her Air Force survivor benefit alerts SS of my death.

Not sure how easy it is to begin SS from an online account, if you've moved to Thailand. Believe they ask a lot of questions to verify your US existence. But I may be wrong; in which case, certainly initiating benefits online would beat going through Manila (based on all the sour reports earlier in this thread).

All great information. I wish I had known all this before I applied for benefits online and identifying to them that resided in Thailand.