Math teacher who slapped student transferred pending investigation - video clip angers parents

webfact

No reason to hit anyone in school by a teacher, if they do something wrong then punish them another way, as a teacher, you are there to teach education not violence. I have always told the schools that if my son should do anything against the rules, he can be punished by conventional means, detention, etc. but no one is going to lay a finger on him. As a parent, I don’t hit/slap my son so why should it be allowed for a stranger/teacher to be able to do so??

15 hours ago, SoilSpoil said:

Can of worms? Not condoning her actions, but a lot of Thai teachers are so stressed because of all the extra duties that come with their jobs, that they are non-stop on edge. At my previous school, most Thai teachers had to work 6 to 7 days a week, starting at 7.30 am and finishing at 6pm, without proper lunch break.  I've seen several Thai teachers break down in the classroom.  Needless to day that I quit and teach my own children at home. Lot of beach time now! 

After dropping my kid off at school, I have witnessed a teacher randomly taking swipes at several kids sitting down at morning assembly.

After a good nights sleep, this wouldn’t be ‘teachers stress’, it’s vindictive with a lack of patients a love for educating 6-8 year old children.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Purdey said:

Interesting that a student filmed the slap. Wonder if the teacher had been slapping kids regularly and everyone knew what was going to happen? 

I don't think you really need to wonder about that. 

21 hours ago, kwilco said:

The reason is they think there is a point when violence against children is acceptable - which it never is.

I take it none of the people that complain that violence solves nothing ever got a spanking or a smack from their dad.

OP what would be  your suggestion realizing that

a. parents don't care 

b. school will pass somchai even if he causes trouble every day

c. Giving extra homework is a joke as they don't do their normal homework

d. you can not give them detention as that means a Thai teacher has to work late and their parents or minibus will not wait for them

What I can tell you is that for decades if not centuries, parents giving their kids love taps on the backside was very effective.

Teachers having the strap,  ruler or yardstick and judiciously using it when necessary was quite effective.  Up until the 90's when all hell broke lose and now look at the snowflakes that we have.

You can not punish a student, you can not fail a student, you can not give out first second and third prizes, and you are not allowed to keep score in games ( i can tell you that the kids still do in their heads).

If you are a guy and can not make it as a guy in sports, you can say hey I am going to become a girl and enter the girls meets.

Teachers are getting beat up in classrooms.

Yeah pacifism is really working.

On 1/20/2023 at 3:04 PM, ThaiJim said:

They stopped corporal punishment in the US many years ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/27/us/corporal-punishment-schools.html

Paddling Makes a Comeback in a Missouri School District

Corporal punishment had been in a slow decline before the pandemic, but remains legal in 19 states, mostly in the South. The practice makes children more aggressive and disruptive, researchers say.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_corporal_punishment_in_the_United_States

Screenshot_20230122-002415_Brave.jpg

3 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

I take it none of the people that complain that violence solves nothing ever got a spanking or a smack from their dad.

so logically you believe that if you were sacked as a kid you think it is OK now - i.e. violence begets more  violence

Half-hearted slaps, teacher didn't even follow through.

No hip rotation or trunk rotation to generate force, not much of a slap at all.

If it was my kid I would not be upset.

However, if it was my granddaughter it would be a different story...

Edited by cdemundo
  • Like 1

On 1/22/2023 at 1:01 AM, kwilco said:

so logically you believe that if you were sacked as a kid you think it is OK now - i.e. violence begets more  violence

It is only violence if done wrong.  For me it was noted before I did anything it was called here is the crime and here is the punishment you get.

Violence is someone walking up and hitting you out of the blue,

It was also never the first punishment,  It was used as a last resort. unless the crime warranted it ie fighting in school.

Yes I used corporal punishement along with removing rights and privileges.  I found that a tap on the but with out and daughter was throwing a tantrum usually got the necessary result,  NOT I SAID TAP ON THE BUT not hit, 

On 1/22/2023 at 1:03 AM, kwilco said:

Really? How would you quantify that?

Easy,  Take a look at the schools systems and the problems that people are having with youth today.  The fact that no one respects anything, That they feel entitled and that anything they do wrong is someone else's fault.  Look at the young people that are driving and causing accidents because mom and dad give them everything.

Now look back in history to the way students and children respected their elders and rules in history.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Easy,  Take a look at the schools systems and the problems that people are having with youth today.  The fact that no one respects anything, That they feel entitled and that anything they do wrong is someone else's fault.  Look at the young people that are driving and causing accidents because mom and dad give them everything.

Now look back in history to the way students and children respected their elders and rules in history.

It seems whilst you were at school you learned violence against children was OK, but apparently you didn't learn any history.

5 hours ago, kwilco said:

It seems whilst you were at school you learned violence against children was OK, but apparently you didn't learn any history.

We are going to disagree and that is fine.

BUT 

oh wise expert.  What would you do to keep control of a class and deal with students that do not want to do their work?

Grant us your wise adn knowledgeable solution

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

We are going to disagree and that is fine.

BUT 

oh wise expert.  What would you do to keep control of a class and deal with students that do not want to do their work?

Grant us your wise adn knowledgeable solution

Ah now you've resorted to ad homs and sealioning.

After training in education and working in training and education for over a quarter of a century, I'm well versed in matters of care and discipline - and quite frankly as it is clear you don't have the experience now is neither the time or place to start to educate someone else from the ground up.

It seems that just because people have "gone to school" and however little they did or didn't learn they need to realise they are NOT "experts" or "wise'. in fact it suggests they really don't understand the basic concepts of understanding any topic let alone education.

What I suggest you do is spend a few months researching education and cild psychology and in your case history until you get a good grasp on the topic.

Edited by kwilco

On 1/20/2023 at 11:50 AM, toofarnorth said:

Agree , in about 1960 on my first day ay a private school I was given the cane for not eating my school dinner , gristle and fat. I am still fussy if given a meat pie.

& you turned out okay.?

How about just allowing all the parents of kids she taught to slap her around for a few months? Unlimited slaps, anytime day or night. She might actually learn something, and there would be actual potential for development as a decent human being, after the parental retribution. 

8 hours ago, kwilco said:

Ah now you've resorted to ad homs and sealioning.

After training in education and working in training and education for over a quarter of a century, I'm well versed in matters of care and discipline - and quite frankly as it is clear you don't have the experience now is neither the time or place to start to educate someone else from the ground up.

It seems that just because people have "gone to school" and however little they did or didn't learn they need to realise they are NOT "experts" or "wise'. in fact it suggests they really don't understand the basic concepts of understanding any topic let alone education.

What I suggest you do is spend a few months researching education and cild psychology and in your case history until you get a good grasp on the topic.

So no answer

The point is that this topic comes up more and more often.

People on here scream about how wrong but no one ever has a solution.

That I find frustrating.  

• 2 weeks later...