No phone app and no computer access allowed with Kasikorn Bank?

Just opened a joint savings account with my wife at Kasikorn Bank. Easy to do, it just took a very long time for them to complete the paperwork.

After all was complete and done, I asked if both my wife and I could use the Kasikorn phone app on our phones, and the reply was no. Not both of us, and not one of us. They also told me that we cannot create an online account on my computer. I asked how we were supposed to monitor our account and we were told that we could either go to an ATM machine or go into a Kasikorn bank. We told Them that we need to monitor when funds arrive from U.S. when we do transfers and they told us the only way to know if and when the funds arrive in our account is to go to the ATM or at the counter in the bank.

I find it very hard to believe they don’t allow online access, and we are not going to get in the car and drive to an ATM machine just to take a look at our account. They then told us that if we want online access or to use the app on our phones, we need to open additional accounts with one name only on the account. Joint accounts, no access.

I checked the app store and see there is a ‘K Plus’ app, but it appears to be only in Thai. ( We need English).

I did go online to the website, just to check if it would allow me to register, but it gives multiple choices that do no appear to be regular savings accounts.  When I go to the Kasikorn home page online and hover over ‘Login’, the choices are ‘K Biz’, ‘K-Cyber Invest’, ‘K-Cyber Trade’, and ‘K-Corporate Connect’. We are not a business, or corporation and are not investing/trading. It’s just a personal savings account.

We also took a look at ‘Digital Banking’ > ‘K Plus’, on the Kasikorn website, but the page is only in Thai. I’ve toggled the switch from ‘TH’ to ‘EN’, but it remains in Thai.

Oh, and even though it is a joint account, they would only issue us one ATM card. It wasn’t until after we left the bank that I realized the ATM card has no names on it, front or back, and on the front under the ‘VISA’ logo, it says ‘Business Debit’, but our account is just a basic Savings Deposit Account. The bankbook says “Savings Deposit Passbook’.

I know many Expats use Kasikorn bank.

So what’s up with this?

Kasikorn Bank really sucks. My Thai attorney is in a major battle with them for preventing a huge condo complex from getting their money from this bank. Bangkok Bank is a much better alternative. Bangkok Bank also has a New York office.

• Thanks 1

My wife has a Kasikorn account.   I regularly log onto her Kbank account to check balances.

The TH/EN toggle does work.  (using Firefox)

Use KBiz to register/log on to your personal accounts.  The name is just a marketing thing.  A new window will open.

Don't know about KBank, but my Bangkok Bank ATM cards don't have my name on them either.

• Thanks 1

I use Siam Commercial Bank and when my wife and I opened a joint account for some business only one of us could have the account in the mobil and internet banking the other must use the passbook, we did not get a debit card, since not necessary.

On SCB's mobil and internet bank the English is fine.

Debit cards normally do not have name on in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Screaming said:

Bangkok Bank also has a New York office.

Which means little for most users - it is a commercial bank with no provision for private accounts and now can not even be used to receive normal ACH transfers to Thai accounts (have to be in international format which almost no US bank uses).  But if you have international format payments such as some pensions it could be used (with a normal sending and receiving end charge).

I think your problem is, that's a shared account.
I used K-Bank since many years without any problems.

About the Bank card, you not have a name on it, because it's an ATM (Debit card) similar to an EC card. You still can use it to pay in many places (very similar to credit card. Except that the amount is deducted from your account right away.

The name only appears on the card normally when you have a credit card (so far I know).

• Thumbs Up 1

Wife and I have been with Kasikorn for 20 years. We have both individual and joint accounts. Individual accounts have both on-line and on-app banking - both Thai and English language options. The joint accounts, for whatever stupidity, are not accessible except at the ATM or the bank - it is what it is.

That said, both the on-line banking and the app are very good, as is the service generally; provided you understand everything is on paper, often in duplicate, with much serving little purpose beyond job creation.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 3:31 PM, NoDisplayName said:

The TH/EN toggle does work.  (using Firefox)

I pretty much just use the Safari browser. Some Kasikorn pages will load in ‘EN’. Some will not.

Use KBiz to register/log on to your personal accounts.  The name is just a marketing thing.  A new window will open.

Thanks. Once we single-person accounts we will give K BIZ a try.

Don't know about KBank, but my Bangkok Bank ATM cards don't have my name on them either.

I just checked my old BKK Bank ATM card and it does not have a name on it either. I never noticed since I haven’t been using it.

Thanks to everyone that took the time to respond to my post. I’ve been very busy so it’s taken me awhile to get back to the post.

A bank account with no online access. Never even occurred to me. Especially since single person accounts can and joint accounts cannot? No need for me to question the reasoning. I take it for what it is and move forward.

Both my wife and I have had BKK Bank accounts for a long time, and of coarse we both have online access both on the computer and through the app on our phones.

We just wanted to open additional accounts at a different bank just to have as a backup.

Since we already have the joint account, hopefully opening single-person accounts at the same bank and branch will go smoothly. We’ll see about that. Once we have single accounts we will most likely just close the joint account. Don’t see any point in keeping it.  Like I mentioned in the OP, opening the account was time consuming, but easy. They didn’t even ask for any letter/notice from immigration certifying my address. I just showed them my passport and Thai drivers license and it was just a matter of waiting while they input all the info. “Sign here” and done.

On 1/20/2023 at 4:31 PM, HampiK said:

About the Bank card, you not have a name on it, because it's an ATM (Debit card) similar to an EC card. You still can use it to pay in many places (very similar to credit card. Except that the amount is deducted from your account right away.

The name only appears on the card normally when you have a credit card (so far I know).

Thanks.

I just noticed my BKK Bank Debit card does not have a name on it either. All our Debit cards from the U.S. have our names on them, and of coarse all accounts (joint) have online access and phone apps for both of us. Also, with U.S. joint accounts, if one person passes away, all funds in the account go to the other account holder. No court/probate needed.

15 hours ago, srowndedbyh2o said:

A bank account with no online access […] No need for me to question the reasoning. I take it for what it is and move forward.

I had a corporate account with KTB for which I wanted a debit card that I could give to staff, so they would have access to petty cash, without needing to write cheques or withdraw cash.

But this was also not possible. The bank teller actually suggested that I open a personal account with debit card (in my name) and then give the debit card to the staff, then I could funnel petty cash through this extra (personal) account.

I’ve since heard that all banks in Thailand have this policy (about not allowing ATM cards for corporate accounts), presumably to avoid fraud, as there is no paper record for ATM spending or requirement of two signatures.

On 1/20/2023 at 4:31 PM, HampiK said:

A friend has just opened an account at Bangkok Bank. He was asked if he wanted his name on the debit card, which he did. They told him it will take a week. He will be notified when to go and collect it.

• Thanks 1

On 1/20/2023 at 12:39 PM, srowndedbyh2o said:

the only way to know if and when the funds arrive in our account is to go to the ATM or at the counter in the bank.

Can you not set up  SMS with them ? Did you ask ? my 2 banks BKB and Krungsri* both send SMS on deposits and withdraws* over 5k 

• Thanks 1

On 1/20/2023 at 6:46 PM, Stocky said:

The joint accounts, for whatever stupidity, are not accessible except at the ATM or the bank - it is what it is.

The wife and I both have online accounts with Bangkok Bank -- because you can't have a joint online account. My online account holds only one physical account, namely, the one I use for Immigration. Her online account holds three physical accounts -- two personal ones, and our joint account. The latter is accommodated because she's the primary holder of our joint account, making it akin to a single account, at least for accounting purposes. Not sure why Kasikorn couldn't use such a simple accounting procedure to allow joint physical accounts to be accommodated online........ Oh well.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Can you not set up  SMS with them ? Did you ask ? my 2 banks BKB and Krungsri* both send SMS on deposits and withdraws* over 5k 

Our BKK Bank accounts are set up with notification. We get a notice of any activity on the account. Even if we just login to the account online they will send us a notice to let us know someone logged into the account.

As far as setting that up with Kasikorn bank, if we can’t even access the account online on the computer or with a phone app, the account is pretty much useless to us anyway, so we won’t even bother.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

The latter is accommodated because she's the primary holder of our joint account, making it akin to a single account, at least for accounting purposes. Not sure why Kasikorn couldn't use such a simple accounting procedure to allow joint physical accounts to be accommodated online........ Oh well.

My wife is setup as the primary account holder on our Kasikorn bank, but it doesn’t matter. Joint account = No online access.

4 hours ago, JimGant said:

The wife and I both have online accounts with Bangkok Bank -- because you can't have a joint online account. My online account holds only one physical account, namely, the one I use for Immigration. Her online account holds three physical accounts -- two personal ones, and our joint account. The latter is accommodated because she's the primary holder of our joint account, making it akin to a single account, at least for accounting purposes. Not sure why Kasikorn couldn't use such a simple accounting procedure to allow joint physical accounts to be accommodated online........ Oh well.

I hold joint account online access for BBL account - branch said no - then said maybe for wife so took applications from both of us - hqs approved in my name.  My name is listed first on passbook so likely different than for you.  Later added single immigration account online without issue.

• Like 1