Please help confirm what I need for getting 30-day extension (a bit confused)

I'm concerned because I don't feel like I have a grip on this. My current (visa-exempt entry) stamp expires on January 29th. I'm in Chiang Mai. I have rented a house here. My end goal here is the 1-year retirement extension.

I did this (30-day extension) process before in Jomtien (this is my second round of visa exempt/30-day extension; I did a border run before, but this time I hope to get the Non-O before that would be necessary but if I need to do another run to get 75 more days in which to get the Non-O, I will) and there was a document required called "house owner registration" and/or "house owner's ID"... I am not sure my landlady even knows what this is and so I'm worried about getting it from her in time. I plan to go to immigration on Monday.

A printed TM-30 will be supplied to me Monday before I enter the immigration office; am I mixed up and that somehow takes care of the "house registration" thing as well? Do I also need a copy of the rental agreement? I seem to recall that from Jomtien also.

Possibly complicating matters (?) is that I failed to recognize January 4 as my 90-day mark being in the country and I did not file a TM-90. Is this going to complicate my request for an extension? Should I hurry and do it right now online? Is there a penalty for being late with it? Thank you

Edited by PadPrikKhing

I d

44 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't understand your post.

Sounds as though you exited Thailand and obtained a second visa exempt entry.

I did. I did a border run to Laos at Chiang Khong/Huay Xai on December 16.

90 day reports are for continuous 90 day stay in Thailand.

Okay, that resolves that one since I left Thailand for an hour and came back in on Dec 16, it was not yet 90 days (I arrived in Thailand on October 4).

The TM30 screenshot is sufficient for your address.

I will actually have a paper copy, so all the better. Thanks.

Along with TM7 form and photo 

Couple of the basic photocopies from your pp.

ID page.

Last entry stamp. 

TM6 if it was land border entry. 

The above all seems easy enough. There is a TM6 stub stapled into my passport

As for obtaining a non O is that based on retirement? 

Have you organized bank account with 800k.

It is going to be a retirement based Non-O, but I obviously don't have time this cycle to do that. Right now I'm just getting the 30-day extension so that I can have breathing room and time to get the Non-O. If I have to fly to Cambodia and spend a couple of days to do it all again and get 75 more days, I will.

CM require 21 days remaining on your current permission of stay to apply for non O 

I obviously do not not have that 21 days right now. Can I get this 30-day extension on my current stay and then immediately apply for the Non-O, at that point having 30 more days to afford me that 21 days? Or do I need to leave the country again for a short time and then come in and do the visa-exempt entry yet again? My passport is quite clean, it was totally empty and new when I got to Thailand October 4, so it's not like this is my 10th time leaving and coming back in or anything like that. What I would like to do is get this 30-day extension, then before that runs out, just fly to Cambodia for a couple of days and then come back in and do another 45+30, which will give me plenty of time to do the Non-O process. Can I do that?

Edited by PadPrikKhing

DrJack54 or anyone: Does Chiang Mai not require a copy of the rental agreement? You didn't mention that. It was necessary in Jomtien the last time I did this. You also didn't reply regarding the "house registration" thingy... also something I experienced having demanded from me in Jomtien... but maybe I don't recall well and a TM-30 took care of that. It was a whirlwind and I don't remember exactly how that shook out. But now I'm in Chiang Mai and I know different provincial immigration offices can have different policies.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PadPrikKhing said:

Does Chiang Mai not require a copy of the rental agreement?

Keep in mind that you are applying for a 30day extension to a visa exempt entry.

This is tourist type extensions and most tourists would not have a lease.

A TM30 should be sufficient. 

You state that Jomtien required a rental agreement was required for a 30 day extension? Did you provide Jomtien with a TM30? 

BTW nothing surprises with both CM and Jomtien. 

Both rubbish offices. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Keep in mind that you are applying for a 30day extension to a visa exempt entry.

This is tourist type extensions and most tourists would not have a lease.

A TM30 should be sufficient. 

Good point

You state that Jomtien required a rental agreement was required for a 30 day extension? Did you provide Jomtien with a TM30? 

What I recall was that I had to show them a printed-out copy of the rental agreement, but that there was also a requirement for something called "house registration" and/or "copy of owner's ID," but I was renting a condo at the time and something the condo management sent was sufficient to satisfy it, not sure if it was a TM-30 or something else.

4 minutes ago, PadPrikKhing said:

What I recall was that I had to show them a printed-out copy of the rental agreement, but that there was also a requirement for something called "house registration" and/or "copy of owner's ID," but I was renting a condo at the time and something the condo management sent was sufficient to satisfy it, not sure if it was a TM-30 or something else.

Think that you provided a TM30 screenshot from condo owner and a lease agreement.

They may have accepted your copy of lease along with the TM30 however the lease in reality not required. 

There are some offices that might require a lease for a non O however you were just obtaining a 30 day extension. 

Edited by DrJack54

DrJack54 said: This is tourist type extensions and most tourists would not have a lease.

Yes, most wouldn't, but is it risky to admit that my longer-term plan is to get a Non-O and retirement extension, so I'm renting a house in order to save money? Does that set off alarms of some kind? (Not that I've said that to anyone in immigration, but it seems they will know the difference between a house and hotels for sure)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Think that you provided a TM30 screenshot from condo owner and a lease agreement.

They may have accepted your copy of lease along with the TM30 however the lease in reality not required. 

There are some offices that might require a lease for a non O however you were just obtaining a 30 day extension. 

Yes, hopefully all they will want is the TM30 which I will have.

Would you mind addressing the following? It is really my main concern:

CM require 21 days remaining on your current permission of stay to apply for non O 

I obviously do not not have that 21 days right now. Can I get this 30-day extension on my current stay and then immediately apply for the Non-O, at that point having 30 more days to afford me that 21 days? Or do I need to leave the country again for a short time and then come in and do the visa-exempt entry yet again? My passport is quite clean, it was totally empty and new when I got to Thailand October 4, so it's not like this is my 10th time leaving and coming back in or anything like that. What I would like to do is get this 30-day extension, then before that runs out, just fly to Cambodia for a couple of days and then come back in and do another 45+30, which will give me plenty of time to do the Non-O process. Can I do that?

23 minutes ago, PadPrikKhing said:

I obviously do not not have that 21 days right now. Can I get this 30-day extension on my current stay and then immediately apply for the Non-O, at that point having 30 more days to afford me that 21 days?

Yes.

Also you do not need to exit Thailand.

With that 30 day extension you can apply for a non O retirement with 800k in Thai bank account in your name only. 

Also need to show funds transferred from abroad.

I assume it's the non O based on retirement that you are seeking. 

Do you have a Thai bank account? 

This thread has some basic info. There are many threads on this process. 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1282251-visa-exempt-to-non-o-retirement-dates/

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, PadPrikKhing said:

What I recall was that I had to show them a printed-out copy of the rental agreement, but that there was also a requirement for something called "house registration" and/or "copy of owner's ID," but I was renting a condo at the time and something the condo management sent was sufficient to satisfy it, not sure if it was a TM-30 or something else

Yes it sounds to me like you didn't have a TM30, so this was done prior to the 30 day extension. Hence the additional paperwork.

On 1/21/2023 at 3:22 AM, Greenwich Boy said:

Immigration at Central Festival is less busy than the office near the airport. They are helpful and you can get a 30 day ext there

Noted, thanks. Everyone likes a helpful immigration office (as oppsoed to a hostile, unhelpful one! Which I've heard some can be)

• Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 7:07 AM, JayClay said:

Yes it sounds to me like you didn't have a TM30, so this was done prior to the 30 day extension. Hence the additional paperwork.

Okay yes, that makes sense... because I don't recall having a TM30 on me at the time back then. This time I will have one in my hand. Thanks.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 7:04 PM, DrJack54 said:

With that 30 day extension you can apply for a non O retirement with 800k in Thai bank account in your name only. 

Also need to show funds transferred from abroad.

I assume it's the non O based on retirement that you are seeking. 

Do you have a Thai bank account? 

Yes, retirement. I don't yet have a Thai bank account, no. That was always described as being something that would be taken care of by whatever agent I got. To be perfectly candid, I had been planning to go with the agent workaround deal where I wouldn't have to actually put the money in the bank. But now that I'm here and asking agents about that, I'm suddenly hearing that there are difficulties in getting that deal, so I will probably have to do it the conventional way. I see you're not mentioning the two months or whatever of "seasoning" the funds had to do before, so I'm guessing that requirement is not there anymore and I merely have to transfer the money...?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PadPrikKhing said:

I'm suddenly hearing that there are difficulties in getting that deal, so I will probably have to do it the conventional way. I see you're not mentioning the two months or whatever of "seasoning" the funds had to do before, so I'm guessing that requirement is not there anymore and I merely have to transfer the money...?

Your original question is how to obtain a 30 day extension.

That is very simple and has been covered. The main thing you needed to attend to is TM30 to apply for that.

You then morphed into obtaining a non O retirement and subsequent extension.

The steps are simple.

1. Obtain a bank account. This often requires obtaining a residence certificate and is not straight forward. I recommend an agent for this. 

2. Transfer 800k baht from abroad.

3. Attend immigration and apply for non O retirement.

The 800k needs to be in the bank on the day you apply..

You would need 15 days remaining on your current permit when you apply. (21 days at CM).

That gives you a 90 day stamp.

4. In the last 30 days of the 90day stamp apply for 12 month extension with the funds having been in the bank for 2 months. 

5. Maintain funds at 800k for 3 months after extention granted and then not below 400k and back up to 800k two months prior to next extension. Wash and repeat. 

Note: You can do this process yourself.

2000baht for non O application. 

1900baht for extension.

Approx 4k for agent bank account.

You can use an agent for the whole process. 

4k for bank account.

Approx 30k for the non O and extension. Note you would not require funds in the bank.

Ongoing extensions approx 15k.

(agents cheaper than this in Pattaya) 

Personally I use money in the bank method and maintain the 800k all year round. 

The process is not difficult.

As the saying goes "up to you" 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Your original question is how to obtain a 30 day extension.

That is very simple and has been covered. The main thing you needed to attend to is TM30 to apply for that.

You then morphed into obtaining a non O retirement and subsequent extension.

[SNIP]

Got it, thanks for your help.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You can use an agent for the whole process. 

4k for bank account.

Approx 30k for the non O and extension. Note you would not require funds in the bank.

Ongoing extensions approx 15k.

(agents cheaper than this in Pattaya) 

This is what I am really wanting, but when I approached two different agents in Chiang Mai now that the time is ripe, I was told by both that there is some kind of crackdown on this deal going on right now. One of them suggested if I just wait a month or so, the tension around this will have eased and I can probably get it again. So I am thinking of getting the 30-day ext, then about 26 days from now go out of the country for a couple days by plane, come back on a plane, then do 45 or maybe 45+30 again, and then during that period do the Non-O thing either the conventional way or the "unconventional way." 

Edited by PadPrikKhing
  • Like 1