uk visit visa for Thai sister in law - 2023

Hi Guys

Sorry if this has been answered before, done bit of a search but nothing coming up straight away.

Been about 20 years since last had the fun task of sorting a uk visa !

My wife wants to bring here sister here for a hols. Hopefully it's simple enough to sort out.

Could anyone point me in right direction please with any www.links to the step by step process of what I need to do to sort this?

Looked on Gov.uk but need in layman's terms really, may be someone that has done one before could advise please.

Sister in law's command of English is very minimal, so thinking it would be down to me to sort/ fill in application here in uk (can I do it that way ?)

She is based in Surin. Sorted her Thai passport few months ago which is a good stating point.

Thank you ????

Simon & Su

VFS Global is where she'll have to go for biometrics, Bangkok or Chiang Mai, documents can be submitted or downloaded, the UK government site for visitor visa will transfer you to VFS site, that was 3 yrs ago when my wife visited UK, I supplied 6 months bank statements, I've been here when we applied for 3 separate visits.https://visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/vac-information-page/THA

Edited by roo860
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, roo860 said:

VFS Global is where she'll have to go for biometrics, Bangkok or Chiang Mai, documents can be submitted or downloaded, the UK government site for visitor visa will transfer you to VFS site, that was 3 yrs ago when my wife visited UK, I supplied 6 months bank statements, I've been here when we applied for 3 separate visits.https://visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/vac-information-page/THA

Thank you ????

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Yes you can do it. The process is now handled by an ousourced private company by their Bangkok office as stated above.  I've done it plenty of times so god knows why I'm a bit wooly on it now.  However, its not difficult but a bit long winded. Your sister in law will need an e-mail address - I opened one for my ex and conducted everything on that before handing over to my ex.

The process involves a visit to a VFS office once the application is complete - its all online and not too difficult to follow.  As usual, make sure she has 'reasons to return' - convince the authorities that she will return to Thailand at the end of the visit.

As I say, I'm a bit wooly on the specifics but if you run into problems - come back for help, there are plenty of people here that can help you.

Thank you ????

13 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Yes you can do it. The process is now handled by an ousourced private company by their Bangkok office as stated above.  I've done it plenty of times so god knows why I'm a bit wooly on it now.  However, its not difficult but a bit long winded. Your sister in law will need an e-mail address - I opened one for my ex and conducted everything on that before handing over to my ex.

The process involves a visit to a VFS office once the application is complete - its all online and not too difficult to follow.  As usual, make sure she has 'reasons to return' - convince the authorities that she will return to Thailand at the end of the visit.

As I say, I'm a bit wooly on the specifics but if you run into problems - come back for help, there are plenty of people here that can help you.

Reasons to return might be ?   Interested as my lady was refused , despite having own property , large restaurant and supporting parents . 

9 hours ago, bigyin said:

I assume that you will easily be able to afford to fund the trip so just bank statements to prove this plus a letter of invitation and details about the accommodation.  The main problem area is nearly always providing evidence that she will return to Thailand at the end of the trip. This needs to be given a lot of attention with full details and any written evidence in support.  For example if she has a job in Thailand then a letter from her employer in English confirming she can have the time off and the job will still be open,  This is just an example of one reason to return.  Having children in Thailand is not, on its own, considered adequate reason to return.

Please advise on reasons to return, thanks

11 hours ago, In the jungle said:

1.  Does she have an income in Thailand and can she document it?

2.  Does she have other reasons to return to Thailand?

Please explain / develop this point that might help others and take away the mystery of visa app refusals . 

1 minute ago, superal said:

Pretty much the reasons you stated. My wife's situation was, no money, no job, no reason to return, no problem getting 3 visas, no phone call from embassy.

Me, own a condo, own a property in uk, have a job and retirement extension. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Pretty much the reasons you stated. My wife's situation was, no money, no job, no reason to return, no problem getting 3 visas, no phone call from embassy.

Me, own a condo, own a property in uk, have a job and retirement extension. 

Me too with retirement extension and UK property and my sponsoring her . Together back then for 6 years ( now 11 years ) , so the reasoning for refusal is confusing .

Thank you .

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, superal said:

Me too with retirement extension and UK property and my sponsoring her . Together back then for 6 years ( now 11 years ) , so the reasoning for refusal is confusing .

Thank you .

Quite agree, I've read of plenty being refused under the same circumstances. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Quite agree, I've read of plenty being refused under the same circumstances. 

Could it be that they have a certain quota allowance for issuing UK visas ? 

What makes it so annoying is that there is no reasoning , most of the time , for negative decisions .   They say   " do not believe she will return to Thailand " . No justification to their statement and no appeal . To make it even more annoying is when I hear that a guy  got his girlfriend ( known her 3 months ) , who worked in a bar and has zero money or collateral , a visa. I am fine with that but when showing good reasons for my lady ( in her fifties & I knew her 6 years at the time ) to return to Thailand , it was refused .

Does not make sense  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, superal said:

I know this might be irrelevant because it concerns a case of applying for a visa to Germany but I believe their assessment procedures are identical, especially when it comes to that core requirement of proving the applicant's motivation or intention to return. When I sponsored someone's visa application, it was rejected despite all the strong supporting financial documents provided. The reason given was "your intention to leave the territory of the Member States before the expiry of the visa could not be ascertained."

Appealed and it was still not granted. The difficult part has nothing to do with the sponsor's resources but rather that part about rebutting the embassy's presumption of permanent migration.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Thomas KH said:

I know this might be irrelevant because it concerns a case of applying for a visa to Germany but I believe their assessment procedures are identical, especially when it comes to that core requirement of proving the applicant's motivation or intention to return. When I sponsored someone's visa application, it was rejected despite all the strong supporting financial documents provided. The reason given was "your intention to leave the territory of the Member States before the expiry of the visa could not be ascertained."

Appealed and it was still not granted. The difficult part has nothing to do with the sponsor's resources but rather that part about rebutting the embassy's presumption of permanent migration.

Appealed ? was it a lengthy and costly process ? Will you try again ?

5 minutes ago, Thomas KH said:

Sorry , forgot to add that I was told that making an appeal was seldom successful because they do not like to discredit the original decision and better to make a new application which has a better chance to secure a visa .  From what I hear it is the UK applications that are most likely to be refused when compared with other western countries .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, superal said:

Reasons to return might be ?   Interested as my lady was refused , despite having own property , large restaurant and supporting parents . 

I would think your wife's application had other faults.

My wife's first application stated own business and land as reasons to return. All other parts of her application were watertight.

Application approved.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, puchooay said:

My wife's first application stated own business and land as reasons to return. All other parts of her application were watertight.

Application approved.

Personally I reckon they have quotas for issuing visitor visas.

20 minutes ago, puchooay said:

If they did, we would be hearing a lot more about refused applications.

Maybe so, I'm sure there's alot of Brit expats etc who are not members of AseanNow. 

Edited by roo860

1 hour ago, puchooay said:

Application approved.

I will keep this short and in a nut shell I wrote to the UK immigration minister who said there was no reason to make a refusal , plus to apply again . There were many cases of UK nationals who were refused their wife's visa, I was told .

2 hours ago, superal said:

I will keep this short and in a nut shell I wrote to the UK immigration minister who said there was no reason to make a refusal , plus to apply again . There were many cases of UK nationals who were refused their wife's visa, I was told .

So the Minister didn't overturn the decision, or did he?

When you say that "There were many cases of UK nationals who were refused their wife's visa" the person who told you would no doubt be aware that it would be the applicant who was refused, not the UK National.

3 hours ago, roo860 said:

Personally I reckon they have quotas for issuing visitor visas.

There are no quotas for the issuing of Standard Visit Visas, why would there be?

If an applicant can satisfy the ECO that they are a genuine applicant, who can afford the trip, and also satisfy the decision maker that they will return home at the conclusion of the proposed visit, then Entry Clearance will be approved.

Like all of us, ECO's make mistakes.

• Love It 1