Need to buy crash helmet

London Lowf

Now that I'm spending longer periods on Phuket I would like to buy my own crash helmet rather than rely on those supplied with my rental bike.

I've only noticed one shop with a decent selection in my area and that is the shop at the hospital/police station intersection but I've never looked inside. Are they any good? Their rental side gets some bad feedback but that's not really relevant to me.

Maybe there are better places if I ride over towards Phuket Town? Please don't suggest Lazada/Shoppee as I need to try it on before I commit.

PS: I always use a full-face at home but I imagine it would be stifling over here at the low speeds - any input?

Edited by London Lowf

7 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Try a modular helmet which is a full face helmet but you can open the chin over the top.

One of mine is a modular helmet (Shoei). When stopped at lights etc its convenient to ‘flip up the chin’ and let the air in... but it doesn’t make a huge difference as far as ‘cooling the face goes'

I also have a couple of Bell Helmets (Bullit full face - retro looking with a bubble visor, also a Custom 500 carbon)... both good helmets.. Fit nice and snug, but the Bullit does get hot on the head... 

Given the temperatures here and variability of riding from ‘nipping to the shops’ to ‘being out on a ride’ its difficult to find a ‘one size fits all’ helmet... 

I also have the AGV which I use if I’m going somewhere nearby and just leave the helmet with the bike, there’s a risk of theft which is why I don’t do that with the other helmets. 

• Haha 1

Absolutely buy a known brand that you are aware of from back home. Pretty much every helmet I've seen in the shops here (including large dealers with multiple stores) are absolutely awful. I bought what looked like a decent helmet just a few months ago. It fell off a shelf last week onto a tiled floor (from about 4ft) and the main shell cracked. Most of the plastic sliders / visor attachments shattered.

As Martin Brundle would say: cheap head, cheap helmet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

Absolutely buy a known brand that you are aware of from back home. Pretty much every helmet I've seen in the shops here (including large dealers with multiple stores) are absolutely awful. I bought what looked like a decent helmet just a few months ago. It fell off a shelf last week onto a tiled floor (from about 4ft) and the main shell cracked. Most of the plastic sliders / visor attachments shattered.

As Martin Brundle would say: cheap head, cheap helmet.

Good point... If you have a helmet in your home country... then you know what Brand your head shape fits and what size to get...  it should be easy enough to order from one of the shops in Bangkok if there aren’t any dedicated dealers in Phuket. 

But...  IF the Op doesn’t ride in his home country and doest have helmet there he’ll quite rightfully want to be trying on a range of helmets.

I bought a Real Raptor full face via internet (did not want to by online but only choice for my size).

Was very happy with it, got an accurate head measurement and their sizing was spot on (as with all the sizing charts I checked in Thailand, standard country wide), 

Lining removable and washable, emergency straps for easier removal in an accident, good visibility and ventilation...2600 baht..  on the Real official website.. plenty of other choices on there as well....

• Like 2

I have an old Arai full face which I brought from uk ,but it’s 10 years old - although still way better than any new Thai helmet I guess. Although not doing much riding on my 125 wave I still consider this level of helmet essential here - it’s only ever got to work once to be worth it ( Cheap helmet for cheap head!) 

But I do want to replace it now given the age and am prepared to pay accordingly. I’m going back to uk in June ,so will I get better prices there for this standard of helmet rather than buying here. I did a long time ago look cursorily in one shop in Bangkok and 25k baht seemed to be the rate ,but don’t know if that’s typical.

Any suggestions (full face a must) ?

2 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Any suggestions (full face a must) ?

An Enduro style helmet is another option...you get plenty of air plus the protection of a full face. I wear shades with mine (Fox) and there's plenty of room on the sides for the sunglasses, something I haven't found very often with full face helmets.

hj_ci50_vanish_helmet_rollover (Medium).jpg

From real-helmets.com:  "Real Helmets go one step further. It has been certified by the safety standard from the "Snell Memorial Foundation" that has been recognized in United States and to ensure safety blends seamlessly with the superiority of design."

Search Google for "real motorcycle helmet phuket" to find a bunch of shops in Phuket selling Real helmets.  Go with one of the bigger and better known ones.

It is NOT too hot to wear a full face helmet in Pattaya Thailand.  I don't do road trips, only trips within Pattaya, so I leave the clear face shield/visor in the raised position unless it is raining.  I lower the visor when it rains to keep the rain off my glasses.  If I leave a small gap at the bottom of the visor then the combination of vents and the gap provide plenty of air flow to prevent fogging up.

I am on my second Real helmet and about to replace it with a new one.   Over time the lining gets compressed so the helmet doesn't fit as tightly as it should and it is time to replace it.  Once you can rock it around on your head it is time to replace it.  Fortunately the cost of their helmets  is very reasonable.  You can remove the liner/mitten and wash it but unfortunately it doesn't seem like Real provides replacement helmet liners/mittens.  Real also has some nice colorful designs. ????

As I put it, "My pretty face is worth the cost of a Snell certified full face helmet.".  I will likely get the 2200 Bt หมวกกันน็อค Hurricane Koi Sakura ขาว-แดง.

I also recommend you buy a pair of their motorcycle gloves - the first thing you automatically do is put your hands out to stop your fall if you are in an accident, resulting in lots of skin removal.  Real offers two levels of protection with gloves.  I recommend you pay the extra 255 Bt for the top of the line 1050 Bt ถุงมือ Snap IV ดำ-น้ำเงิน gloves.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, HarrySeaman said:

I also recommend you buy a pair of their motorcycle gloves - the first thing you automatically do is put your hands out to stop your fall if you are in an accident, resulting in lots of skin removal.

Definitely... I don’t think I’ve ever ridden without gloves (even a 150cc scooter).

Another option for helmet choice - Combo Modular / Open face Helmet: LS2 Valiant 2.

This helmet can be ridden both as an open face and as a closed face helmet (£270 in the UK - not sure if its available in Thailand though).

But... just so ppl are aware, there is an option to have both an Open face and a Closed face helmet in one helmet (my modular Shoei Neotec can’t really be ridden with the face open).

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/3263

1 hour ago, Neilly said:

An Enduro style helmet is another option...you get plenty of air plus the protection of a full face. I wear shades with mine (Fox) and there's plenty of room on the sides for the sunglasses, something I haven't found very often with full face helmets.

hj_ci50_vanish_helmet_rollover (Medium).jpg

I don't really have problems with a standard full face helmet plus it fits with gloves under the seat of my Wave,a great security benefit. Looks like an Enduro style might have issues with that without any practical benefits for me anyway 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

I don't really have problems with a standard full face helmet plus it fits with gloves under the seat of my Wave,a great security benefit. Looks like an Enduro style might have issues with that without any practical benefits for me anyway 

One advantage of the enduro style helmet it the peak helping keep the sun out of our eyes... 

However, that is also a double edged sword...  the peak creates extra-drag at sustained reasonable speeds (neck ache) and also prevents the helmet from fitting under a seat  (for those on a scooter). 

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

and also prevents the helmet from fitting under a seat  (for those on a scooter). 

The peak on my Fox is held on by magnets (fairly strong ones), so does come off quite easily (it's a safety thing)

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, Neilly said:

The peak on my Fox is held on by magnets (fairly strong ones), so does come off quite easily (it's a safety thing)

That is a great idea. I heard on a TV show that Michael Schumacher's injuries were exacerbated by his go style camera mounted on his lid snagging on something.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Definitely... I don’t think I’ve ever ridden without gloves (even a 150cc scooter).

Another option for helmet choice - Combo Modular / Open face Helmet: LS2 Valiant 2.

This helmet can be ridden both as an open face and as a closed face helmet (£270 in the UK - not sure if its available in Thailand though).

But... just so ppl are aware, there is an option to have both an Open face and a Closed face helmet in one helmet (my modular Shoei Neotec can’t really be ridden with the face open).

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_cat/3263

That helmet holds up in crash okay too. https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/ls2-ff399-valiant/

I had an LS 324 flip up and it had great venting and a good crash test but it was overly noisy. It did have some nice high quality stainless steel buckles and attachment areas which I appreciated.

15 minutes ago, San Fran Dan said:

One of my best friends just died 18,000  b helmet sadly a broken neck and pelvis , not speeding 

Sorry to hear that.... BUT, that does not mean helmets are ineffective. People die in car accidents wearing seatbelts in vehicles with air-bags etc...   Helmets can only do so much and do safe an awful lot of lives, but sadly there are also plenty of accidents where the impact trauma to the rest of the body is so extensive there was no chance....   

Thailands roads are terrible for this... There is a lot of ‘stuff to hit’ whereas in other more safety conscious nations things like lampposts etc would be moved back from the road etc, in Thailand, not even a passing thought is given to the positioning of ‘signs, lampposts etc’... 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LS24 said:

That is a great idea. I heard on a TV show that Michael Schumacher's injuries were exacerbated by his go style camera mounted on his lid snagging on something.

I read similar but that the ‘go pro mount’ focused impact in a specific area rather than letting the impact spread out....    Personally, I think these reports were clutching at straws, he was skiing fast and hit rocks hard.... 

I ski and use helmets, the recreational ski helmets are a lot lighter, thinner and are nowhere near as strong as motorcycle helmets although speeds are often as high (i.e. I reach speeds of 90kmh when skiing - but usually about 50kmh when going comfortably).....   there is a lot less to hit when piste skiing, tree skiing is somewhat different and there’s a lot more risk. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The deed is done and I like to thank everyone for their advice – even if it may appear that I have disregarded some of it.

I’d spotted Prasut Bigbike in Kathu on Gmaps as the closest decent shop and the fact that it got a couple of mentions on here made it my destination. No-one mentioned the place in Patong and so I didn’t even bother looking there.

My lid back home is a rather ancient mid-range Suomy Gunwind but I really do not think that I could handle a full-face in this weather and I was also worried that one would not fit under the seat of an Nmax. In addition, I wear glasses and that is another negative.

I’d had my eye on the Real Storm flip-up as a compromise, but they don’t stock them at Prasut. I was going to ride elsewhere but then this helmet caught my eye with its lairy yoof graphics – it’s a locally made RD Air Force 1 (so cheap if/when I need a replacement visor) and I tried on the smallest that they had, a large, and it was snug and comfortable with no movement when I shook my head even without the chinstrap fastened.

It was quite cheap at B1,590 (so, that’s apparently what I value my skull at?) but I just wanted a decent upgrade from the cheap and nasty lid that came with my hired scooter – it seems solid enough. I was actually a bit worried when I left the shop as it wouldn’t fit under the seat but then later I realised that, unlike in my scoot back home, it should be put in upside down.

It was perfectly comfortable on the ride home and I am very pleased with my purchase.

20230124_150825.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1