Busted! Thai immigration arrest Chinese "tourists" who opened restaurant in Bangkok without work permits

webfact

3 hours ago, transam said:

The owner will get a nice rent premium from the next renters....:thumbsup: 

According to the report the three persons detained own the restaurant. Surely the newpaper would not lie.

As to them being Chinese, judging from the photograph they appear to be Czechs......:smile:

13 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

According to the report the three persons detained own the restaurant. Surely the newpaper would not lie.

As to them being Chinese, judging from the photograph they appear to be Czechs......:smile:

Weeeell, I am sure with names like, Yang, Chin and Chern, they are of Chinese descent, even if they are Czech looking....:stoner:

Puzzling why they didn't do things right, as it looks as if they spent a good deal of money on the place. The additional cost of establishing a company, paying off bringing in a Thai partner, getting a proper visa, getting a work permit, registering for VAT, and hiring 4 Thais for each foreigner with a work permit---all added up---would be much less than they spent on the facility.

Granted the process is a bit cumbersome, but it sure beats getting one's business closed and then getting blacklisted. That gives a new meaning to the term 'sunk costs'.

Of course now some local has a turnkey restaurant all ready to go and likely regular clientele. Good deal.

8 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

Thai people can cook too so no work permit given as it is a job Thai people can do...I never will understand the logic in this country.

Basically, they see it as someone taking a job from a Thai that they could do.  "Thailand is for Thais" as they would no doubt say.  Whether they could do it as well, or other benefits of immigration are lost, is another question.  But that is the logic.

Reminds me that Chinese restaurant at Asoke Ding Daeng junction - run by chinese and cooked by chinese. They even served Tsingtao beer. Those old days! The best and cleanest service, nice and very polite staff. Price was also amazing.

Lots of Chinese venues now at Pracha Udit junction - not a single that face )

9 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

no work permits/?? How come.. Thai people can cook too so no work permit given as it is a job Thai people can do...I never will understand the logic in this country... everything goes against everything...

Not really. Jobs that can be done by Thais reserved for Thais seems reasonable to me.

13 hours ago, Peabody said:

What happens to the restaurant now? Do they just lock the doors as is? The place looks spotless and expensive.

The owner of the building will put it up for rent again.  "Fully operational Chinese restaurant ready for rent".  Then collect the 1st and last months rent, deposit, key money, etc.  Then wait until he notices a lot of Chinese workers and calls his friend in immigration who comes in and shuts them down again......just like last time!