Thailand welcomed 11.15 million foreign arrivals in 2022, smashing 10 million target

snoop1130

Last January I thought I was a starry-eyed optimist thinking maybe 5 million.

Adjusting for the usual TAT fudge factor, I still think my estimate was crushed.

I took one flight out of Suvarnabhumi in December and I had never seen the airport as crowded, even during the 40 million year of 2019 (?). Every seat in the departure hall before Immigration/Customs was filled, people were sitting on the floor against walls, and it was a scrum navigating the floor to get to my check-in counter.

It might not yet be close to what it was, and hopefully the rush wasn't just pent up demand that will slow in 2023, but one has to be pleased that rank and file Thai people may well be gainfully employed again.

I'm sure some expats will miss the quiet of the Covid Era, but since around 18% of the Thai economy is tourism related, and much of that foreign tourism, it's a good thing in the grander scheme.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Russians are just fleeing a troubled country and don’t want to be drafted. The rest have been pent up and could finally travel again. Im sure we will get a lot of the Zero tours from China, which will increase the numbers but not the economy. And considering they’re putting all their eggs in that China basket it’s not going to be pretty when they start infecting the country. May be stopping soon after it starts, although the government doesn’t care they just want the numbers. Too much other sht going on in the world these days. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Believe or not believe???? Hmmmm......... NO!

4 minutes ago, 2baht said:

How many of those were laborers from neighbouring countries?

The article says 11.5 million tourists in 2022.

The AOT Total Passenger movements report for 2022 says that over 6.87 million passengers disembarked from international flights at the AOT airports and that 6.62 million embarked and flew out. My take on those numbers (which do not include transit passengers) is that the difference between disembarked and embarked represents returning Thai nationals and that net international tourists via AOT airports was 6.62 mill. Of course, we have to adjust that number downwards for expatriates who live in Thailand and who travel and return, either for business or pleasure. I will be generous and say that every one of the 150,000 resident expats made one overseas trip each during the year hence the adjusted total is 6.62 - 150k = 6.47 million international visitors via the seven AOT airports.

But then we have to add in the international visitors who arrived via charter flights at non-AOT airports and there are over 30 of them. Malaysians (11% of all tourists) often fly into Hat Yai which is not an AOT airport. And since there are no scheduled flights to or from Russia (4% of all tourists), by international airlines they must land somewhere.

AND, we then have to add in the total number of foreigners who crossed the border by sea and by land, for the purpose of tourism, not day pass traders. Plus Chinese and Myanmar represented 31% of all tourists and they are capable of arrival by land, that is a big number also.

I can't be bothered to confirm it by doing the math but I'm pretty sure the TAT number of 11.5 million tourists for the year is about right. But I have no doubt whatsoever that you won't agree!

https://investor.airportthai.co.th/transport.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airports_in_Thailand

https://www.bot.or.th/English/MonetaryPolicy/EconomicConditions/PressRelease/DocPressRelease/Slide_eng_November2022_te72nv8.pdf

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, 2baht said:

Yes it does. How many of those were laborers from neighbouring countries?

Perhaps you should go back and read my post again. I'm pretty sure that laborers from neighbouring countries wont have flown in and that they aren't chinese or Malay. So that leaves the 3% that are Burmese that might be laborers since I didn't count other nationals from Cambodia and Laos. I'm also pretty sure the TAT didn't count illegals or day pass holders but you guys might see it differently! So possibly, emotely, the answer to your question is 3% of 11.5 mill.

Edited by nigelforbes

Budget toggles between this article at 3.9 billion and, also in today's news, 1.9 billion - same, same but different. Wondering who authorizes how much money and how much is really spent on quality endeavours withOUT the usual line losses ........

Quantity, quantity, quantity ............. over quality which has gone out the window long, long time ago. Rest assured though that it is easier to cater to 8 million at THB 10'000 and 80 million at THB 1'000. But Thailand was never good in planing, sustainability and quality so it follows the same path to destruction as previously proven by Greece, Italy and Spains Costa Del Sol. You're welcome! 

16 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Budget toggles between this article at 3.9 billion and, also in today's news, 1.9 billion - same, same but different. Wondering who authorizes how much money and how much is really spent on quality endeavours withOUT the usual line losses ........

Quantity, quantity, quantity ............. over quality which has gone out the window long, long time ago. Rest assured though that it is easier to cater to 8 million at THB 10'000 and 80 million at THB 1'000. But Thailand was never good in planing, sustainability and quality so it follows the same path to destruction as previously proven by Greece, Italy and Spains Costa Del Sol. You're welcome! 

If you really want to know, the budget is linked below:

My daughter & husband, having been cooped up for two years flew in.  They, and their Facebook friends, will not be back after the Samui taxi mafia bled them dry for eight days; a 4 kilometre journey was 200 baht; a five minute trip to the airport 300!  She and I was also short-changed 500 at a restaurant and the police were disinterested.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

The article says 11.5 million tourists in 2022.

The AOT Total Passenger movements report for 2022 says that over 6.87 million passengers disembarked from international flights at the AOT airports and that 6.62 million embarked and flew out. My take on those numbers (which do not include transit passengers) is that the difference between disembarked and embarked represents returning Thai nationals and that net international tourists via AOT airports was 6.62 mill. Of course, we have to adjust that number downwards for expatriates who live in Thailand and who travel and return, either for business or pleasure. I will be generous and say that every one of the 150,000 resident expats made one overseas trip each during the year hence the adjusted total is 6.62 - 150k = 6.47 million international visitors via the seven AOT airports.

But then we have to add in the international visitors who arrived via charter flights at non-AOT airports and there are over 30 of them. Malaysians (11% of all tourists) often fly into Hat Yai which is not an AOT airport. And since there are no scheduled flights to or from Russia (4% of all tourists), by international airlines they must land somewhere.

AND, we then have to add in the total number of foreigners who crossed the border by sea and by land, for the purpose of tourism, not day pass traders. Plus Chinese and Myanmar represented 31% of all tourists and they are capable of arrival by land, that is a big number also.

I can't be bothered to confirm it by doing the math but I'm pretty sure the TAT number of 11.5 million tourists for the year is about right. But I have no doubt whatsoever that you won't agree!

https://investor.airportthai.co.th/transport.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airports_in_Thailand

https://www.bot.or.th/English/MonetaryPolicy/EconomicConditions/PressRelease/DocPressRelease/Slide_eng_November2022_te72nv8.pdf

Thanks! What would I do without you Nigel. Hey, they almost fooled me ???? ????

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

That's fine. But if you are never going to believe any statistics that are compiled in Thailand, why even bother debating the issues, it's pointless.

I think you got it the wrong way! My initial comment was supposed to be sarcastic. My answer to you was in favor for your calculation, and written like a joke. It was actually no debate at all.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gottfrid said:

I think you got it the wrong way! My initial comment was supposed to be sarcastic. My answer to you was in favor for your calculation, and written like a joke. It was actually no debate at all.

Sorry....my misread of what you wrote, my bad. ????

• Love It 1

15 hours ago, Walker88 said:

I'm sure some expats will miss the quiet of the Covid Era, but since around 18% of the Thai economy is tourism related, and much of that foreign tourism, it's a good thing in the grander scheme.

I it is the worst thing that can happen to the planet. Long haul flights for holidays must become a luxury if we are serious about our survival. Governments should come up with powerful incentives for holiday destinations that can be travelled to by train.

5 hours ago, jcmj said:

The Russians are just fleeing a troubled country and don’t want to be drafted. The rest have been pent up and could finally travel again. Im sure we will get a lot of the Zero tours from China, which will increase the numbers but not the economy. And considering they’re putting all their eggs in that China basket it’s not going to be pretty when they start infecting the country. May be stopping soon after it starts, although the government doesn’t care they just want the numbers. Too much other sht going on in the world these days. 

61% of the Chinese tourists were traveling independently in 2019, not in tour groups.  Whether in tours or traveling independently, they spent 531 billion baht in Thailand, the most of any country, and greatly benefitting the economy.

• Like 1

When I first came to Thailand, Thais saws a farang for the FIRST TIME!!! Maybe I was the first white face they ever saw, or the first time they heard English.........     (this is what all backpackers believe)

Then COVID.......I was in Thailand during the biggest crisis of our lifetime (WW3 will be much worse, that's coming)

I experienced Thailand with ZERO farangs....It was ONLY me and Thais roaming the mountains..

Now the tourists are back, 100000 zillion at once..........My happiness and special place ruined!!!!!!!!!!!!  I wish it was ONLY me to see that link on Pattaya many years ago......all the bar girls, drinking, late nights, why did 100000 zillion other men have to see the same information!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I must head to an undisclosed place to find true meditation, ride real elephants, pick wild strawberries, and really be like a local.

all is now lost

back to farang red light district everywhere.....thanks farangs, you ruined it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, newnative said:

61% of the Chinese tourists were traveling independently in 2019, not in tour groups.  Whether in tours or traveling independently, they spent 531 billion baht in Thailand, the most of any country, and greatly benefitting the economy.

I know you like to promote this image, but it is hard to believe all you write. Where are these independent Chinese travelers, because all I and many see are the large groups looking far far from independent.. they have to be led around and herded? Linguistically unable to be independent. They must be well spread out in more up market tourist spots. 

The fact that they were here in such great numbers, far far more than any other Nations, is why, in total, they likely spend the most. Per capita that figure will not stand up. Their spending surely benefits the economy, but there are  costs associated... there were complaints of them creating damage at many attractions.... their sheer numbers (again in these tour groups you deny) made them obvious. If the numbers return, the complaints will too.....

21 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I know you like to promote this image, but it is hard to believe all you write. Where are these independent Chinese travelers, because all I and many see are the large groups looking far far from independent.. they have to be led around and herded? Linguistically unable to be independent. They must be well spread out in more up market tourist spots. 

The fact that they were here in such great numbers, far far more than any other Nations, is why, in total, they likely spend the most. Per capita that figure will not stand up. Their spending surely benefits the economy, but there are  costs associated... there were complaints of them creating damage at many attractions.... their sheer numbers (again in these tour groups you deny) made them obvious. If the numbers return, the complaints will too.....

You must live in Pattaya I would guess, or similar, because I never see such groups in Chiang Mai, although I have seen them when on holiday and passing through Pataya. I do however see lots of individual Chinese travellers and I know from first hand experience of my wife when she worked at Chedi and later at Anantara that individual Chinese travellers can be very very big spenders. I also know from the many Chinese who have bought land near to where I live that many of them come in on tourist visa's, buy land, build nice houses and then buy brand new fortuners whilst paying 250k per year to put their kids through the international school. We live in different worlds and see very different things, don't knock what you don't see, just because you see something different within a narrow range of vision.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

don't knock what you don't see, just because you see something different within a narrow range of vision.

Your range of vision does not see that my Location is Pattaya Area? (Look left on a PC).

How are all these Chinese tourists buying land up there? 

I get feedback from Chiang Rai that matches your comments in a way.... one will mostly form opinion based on what one sees.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's amazing that The Thai govt continues to rely on tourism for their main source of revenue instead of investing in education for their young people so they can bring the big tech companies in and really grow their economy. Many countries are moving their manufacturing out of China and if the Thai govt would grow a brain they could be the beneficiaries of such a change. But then again, this is Thailand so nothing will happen. Just continue to rely on the whims of the international tourists for as long as they can instead of trying to move their country forward. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Your range of vision does not see that my Location is Pattaya Area? (Look left on a PC).

How are all these Chinese tourists buying land up there? 

I get feedback from Chiang Rai that matches your comments in a way.... one will mostly form opinion based on what one sees.

Sorry, I didn't notice your location, I never looked and rarely do. 

I have not enquired because I know there is no good answer. The local landowner is ex-RTP, extremely senior, he's been building and selling houses and seems able to attract Chinese in huge numbers. It look like a one stop service, he takes care of everything for them. I'll ask some discreet questions and try to get some clues. I do know he's connected to people in Immi. and also has someone inside the Land Office, which makes it all even more murky. But I do know that to the Chinese buyers this is not a big outlay by their standards so whatever the risk is, it's financially acceptable to them.

• Like 2