No cotton garments in Thailand?

CanadaSam

5 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

100 percent cotton design t-shirts are available in night markets but

I mostly use underwear and socks purchased in US and self-imported in carry on luggage.

Ditto. I always bring tee shirts and especially socks from the USA when I can.

They feel luxurious when worn in Thailand. Some people can get used to thin Chinese socks, shirts and other @rap from the local market, but I need to wear something that feels like quality once in awhile. I also wear real shoes and not flip flops. 

I also don’t like to stink and I wear deodorant.

• Thanks 1

Robinsons sell them, Central also, theres also lots of Thai made cotton and like others have said Bangladeshi and Indian cotton around.

Go look around at older local village Thai men and you'll see then wearing pure cotton short sleeved shirts wth open neck and button up fronts. They wear them for good reason; These are the coolest to wear in hot climates.

I wear lightweight linen and similar weight cotton and silk.

In my long experience of living and working in hot and humid climates cotton, linen, and lightweight silk are the coolest of all materials.

I get my silk often-times from Jim Thompson, a few linen retailers worldwide, and cotton from Pacific Island suppliers via mail.

In my family we call the cotton flower and other print patterned shirts 'Bula shirts' from our heritage in Fiji.

I play golf in them, they are far cooler than woven polos or those horrible static synthetic things.

Synthetics are good for action/repetitive movement sports in so far as they wick away moisture and stop chaffing and rashes. They aren't good at letting the body breathe like natural fibres though thus they are hotter to wear. This is not conjecture but scientific fact.

If you don't believe me work out in synthetics then cotton and you'll know the difference.

As far as underwear is concerned keeping cool is imperative for sperm health, so wear cotton undies only boys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Getting Cotton, usually 60/40 is the norm and is generally available in most dept stores like Large Tesco or Big C etc, if you want 100% cotton and not too fussy on design Chiang Mai area has its own  cottage jndustries making them.

If you want to go upmarket, go ibto any decent Tailorshop and they should be able to make whatever you want for 12-1500 baht.

Dependin on your measurements, you may have more of an issue with size than fabric as most will be Asian sizing off the peg.They are out there larger hut takes more looking.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

I soak all of my T-shirts, towel, shirts and underwear in a bucket with soapy water for a couple of hours before putting them in the washing machine. This stops clothing holding onto bacteria regardless of whether it's cotton or synthetic.That stops your gear from ever stinking. Secondly make sure that everything is well dried, preferably in sunlight after washing it in the machine.

For your personal body, periodically wash under arms etc with anti bacterial solution like alcohol every so often. Bacteria causes stink on your body and the anti bacterial kills the stink at its source.

I also change my shirts at least a couple of times a day, more if I go out and about and I shower at least 2 times a day or more (if I go out and sweat somewhere). In other words, extra hygiene is important in hot, humid weather.

That’s great advice, especially the periodic wipes with 70% alcohol.

I would add to it, if I may, periodically (monthly) shaving your underarms, back hair, nut sack and crack area. (Or just your entire body).

May be a little extreme for most people but it does make you feel “cleaner” and well kept in general, especially in hot weather.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Synthetics are good for action/repetitive movement sports in so far as they wick away moisture and stop chaffing and rashes. They aren't good at letting the body breathe like natural fibres though thus they are hotter to wear. This is not conjecture but scientific fact.

If you don't believe me work out in synthetics then cotton and you'll know the difference.

Very true, so I discovered in the gym.

I found some light cotton T-shirts on Aliexpress that've become my faves after I got the size right. Have to be careful about online claims, as the supposed "cotton" turns out fake or not to be 100%. Pretty close is OK--have quite a few of those.

• Like 1

Mrs.T loves scanning markets, she walks around the second hand stalls and has found some great cotton T-shirts that fit me from the USA, stuff perhaps well off folk have binned......:thumbsup:

I have genuine Nike tops that I have had for years from this source....:stoner:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Cotton is the LAST thing I want.   get cold, stay cold, get wet, stay wet, die.........................die!!!! lol

polyester can smell, but will wick.

cotton is cheap horrible horrible horrible horrible stuff.     It's everywhere I look here.   

I only wear animal fur.  Call PETA I don't care...that stuff works!!!!!  

• Confused 2

23 minutes ago, BananaStrong said:

Cotton is the LAST thing I want.   get cold, stay cold, get wet, stay wet, die.........................die!!!! lol

polyester can smell, but will wick.

cotton is cheap horrible horrible horrible horrible stuff.     It's everywhere I look here.   

I only wear animal fur.  Call PETA I don't care...that stuff works!!!!!  

Sea Island cotton is the fabric of the gods. Well, except maybe for shahtoosh, but that is now outlawed.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Walker88 said:
On 1/31/2023 at 12:47 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

No, it's not, it's from not showering enough or not using anti-perspirant/deodorant.   Body odour is the result of bacteria working on the sweat that the body produces to cool itself, fresh sweat doesn't stink, regardless of what you've eaten.  

Expand  

You're not well versed in biology and biochemistry, I think.

You're not well-versed in reading what I actually wrote or what that poster actually claimed, I think.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You're not well-versed in reading what I actually wrote or what that poster actually claimed, I think.

"fresh sweat doesn't stink, regardless of what you've eaten." 

Wrong.

Peanuts, garlic and red onions, inter alia, can make even 'fresh sweat' stink.

You seem to get triggered easily and often.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/30/2023 at 2:50 PM, Jerno said:

Athletes do not wear cotton. Cotton absorbs sweat, but you want to allow it to evaporate off your skin. Polyester and other athletic synthetics allow that evaporation.  B O stink is from what you eat and drink, not from what you wear.

I agree. My 50% polyester/50% cotton shirts are much cooler in Thailand. It's very thin, almost a see through. They stay away from my body. Cotton sticks to my body in the humidity. That's why a lot of the second hand stuff from the Usa does not work well here.

I think cotton is good for hot climates, but not hot climates with humidity. For example, cotton works great in Mexico because there is not the same kind of constant sweating or somewhere like Chiang Mai where it is cooler. You can't beat the 100% thai silk shirts though, it's like wearing nothing. The silk does not conceal at all however, so if you have nothing to brag about you're leaving nothing to the imagination.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/30/2023 at 2:08 PM, CanadaSam said:

In almost every tropical country I've been to, they use mostly cotton material for garments, because it is "breathable" and keeps you cool.

But in Thailand, everywhere I go, I find (even in expensive brand name shops in malls) 100% polyester, or nylon, or some other synthetic material used in all garments, which is definately not breathable, and makes you unnecessarily sweat and stink.

I'm at my wits end!  I need to add to my wardrobe, and only want cotton shirts, pants, etc.

Can ANYBODY tell me where I can get cotton attire?

I'm in Pattaya, but willing to travel.

Thank You!

Go to any secondhand clothing store.

Go to the racks which have your size.

Read the labels which specify the cloth composition.

• Agree 1

You can buy bulk cotton "vintage" T-shirts on Lazada by the dozen. I bought 20 for a very, cheap price. In fact, I bought 40 and only kept the 20 I like best. They have random printing on them, such as from some unknown sports team. 

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Ebumbu said:

such as from some unknown sports team. 

Oh, so you CAN get them with Man Utd and Liverpool on them!   555

• Haha 2

I've bought many 100% cotton T shirts through Lazada that are holding up well....No messages, but I've ordered in the colors that match the days of the week.... They're perfect for wearing at home but would be fine to wear out & about  (I prefer to wear a polo shirt style when venturing out).....

• Thumbs Up 1