Britain cold, hungry and miserable, new figures show

Social Media

Brits are cold, hungry, struggling to get medical care this winter amid the cost of living crisis, according to a new survey.

Almost a quarter of adults have not been able to 'keep comfortably warm' in the two weeks before they were surveyed, according to the Office of National Statistics (ONS).

As many fear running out of money to buy food, around one in 5 adults reported eating smaller portions and food past its use by date.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Strange that there is no reference to this supposed cost of living crisis on the ONS website????

Or maybe, just maybe, it's a government slow to admit to the issues faced by citizens countrywide.

2 minutes ago, internationalism said:

those hungry and cold are not at pubs, they are at their homes.

They don't have money for a pint

Exactly my point. 

Polls should be done across a wide demographic of the population. The demographics should also be published.

The problem is, a poll amongst people who don't have issues, have little to complain about and just get on with life, would not have the desired effect.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

An article based on a poll with no demographics. No hint of how many people polled either.

I've just got back from the pub. 100% of people having fun, drinking and spending money. None cold and none hungry. Not once did I hear anything about the economy or hardship. 

Same when I was back earlier in the year. I was expecting some kind of scene out of 28 Days Later. Instead, shopping malls were packed, pubs were packed, golf course was packed, restaurants were packed, roads were packed with brand new cars as I cruised around in my friends brand new Audi Q8 Etron (NHS Middle Management positions seem to pay very well).

The Chavs were still overweight and their screaming kids still had iPhones.  

The reality vs. my expectation from the horror stories I had read was startling.

I'm sure it's cold and miserable though, it's Britain in January after all.  

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

An article based on a poll with no demographics. No hint of how many people polled either.

I've just got back from the pub. 100% of people having fun, drinking and spending money. None cold and none hungry. Not once did I hear anything about the economy or hardship. 

Now could that be because those suffering the effects of the current cost of living crisis have more urgent concerns than pissing away what little they do have on alcohol?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Now could that be because those suffering the effects of the current cost of living crisis have more urgent concerns than pissing away what little they do have on alcohol?

I said nothing about pissing away money. I said having fun. 

If you would care to read my posts that followed you may have half a chance of keeping up and understanding the examples used.

31 minutes ago, puchooay said:

I said nothing about pissing away money. I said having fun. 

If you would care to read my posts that followed you may have half a chance of keeping up and understanding the examples used.

What are you rambling on about?

Where did I quote you?

Please do try to keep up on who is being quoted, then you won’t make errors such as this. 

Oh and I stand by my response to the post I quoted. 

Edited by Bluespunk

8 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

What are you rambling on about?

Where did I quote you?

Unless of course you have more than one username. That’s against forum rules, so I’m sure you wouldn’t do that…

Oh and I stand by my response to the post I quoted. 

Sorry. Mis quoted you there. I've had some posts deleted and couldbt work out what was happening. I mentioned pubs and enjoyment but can't find my posts now.