Fire Breaks Out at Pattaya Condo, Hundreds Evacuated, Several People Injured

webfact

On 2/4/2023 at 10:43 AM, Letseng said:

If an older bldg there are no or often not working sprinklers. Depending on the fire a sprinkler may not help at all.

Friend lives on 8th floor (1 to ???? of a Condo off from Soi Watboon 3 (more or less in viewing distance).
No sprinklers. He does not know the exact age of the building just that it is older than 12 years.

What he has is a smoke detector in the room.

Edited by KhunBENQ

52 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

Ah now stainless pipes.  Why not shining copper or platinum?  

Marie Antoinette " let them eat cake" 

Thailand "let them just have stainless"

Stainless or whatever, who cares, Anything that looks OK and provides some help if there's a fire. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

The fact remains that whether done expertly, or aesthetically so as to not detract.  IT COSTS MONEY.  

Like everything else, duh. A trivial point you keep repeating as it's some kind of news.

If it was an apartment building that doesn't mean that the apartment owner has the money for the retrofit or that he/she could borrow enough to have it completed.

Oh, and it doesn't mean the owner(s) doesn't or can't borrow or delay while accumulating the money. If it finally has to close for not meeting safety regs, it does. Hardly unusual. You seem to have fallen for the stereotype that all Thais are poor and only farang have money.

So saying Condo Owners even if the majority agree will come up with the money to pay for the installation is a pipe dream. 

The majority will agree if they have to meet a gov't mandate to live in their condos. And if they want to remain safe, as most do, actually. And yes, they will come up with the money, just as they do for other big maintenance projects. May take a year or so. Deadbeat owners exist, but they almost always pay up when their water and electricity are cut off and their condos threatened with foreclosure. I know from firsthand experience. So?

You may quibble that the baked-beans-on-toast owners in the unmaintained dump condo buildings won't, but of course exceptions exist for the impoverished. If those don't, then they don't and they takes their chances, like riding an old unmaintained motorbike whose brakes may fail at any moment. So?

However they all cost money and many of the posts advocating the mandatory installation of sprinkling systems seem to ignore that reality. 

No one's ignored that reality, nor would anyone, so that's merely a straw man erected so that you imagine you have a real argument. The law mandating sprinkler systems in buildings specified is already in effect, "advocating" is irrelevant.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

We have a nightly ritual in our 'house'.  Gate locked. all chargers off, no unnecessary electrical items left on and plugged in, gas turned off, doors locked, Try that in a condo building, with a thousand other people in their rooms, some of them blind drunk, stupid, drugged up, or all three at once. I loath condo living and this is one of the reasons why, among many. Good job sleeping soundly on a high floor. 

7 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Good job sleeping soundly on a high floor. 

Been sleeping soundly on a high floor for about 20 years. Sorry. You've confused condos w/ middle-class owners for fleabag hotels on Soi Buakhao. But each to their own. 

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Stainless or whatever, who cares, Anything that looks OK and provides some help if there's a fire. 

Do you want to use MasterCard, Visa, or your bank account to pay for the installation?  

Definition of a Liberal:  Someone who believes they have a great idea, want to implement it by mandate, and have someone else pay it. 

1 minute ago, Longwood50 said:

And you believe having money to pay for it is trivial and keep repeating it.  You must be a liberal. 

Another straw man. Nobody said, implied, or suggested the amount required is trivial. I think you should come up with some useful, informative point or quit the thread, as you're just repeating the same thing over and over.

• Like 2

Definition of a Liberal:  Someone who believes they have a great idea, want to implement it by mandate, and have someone else pay it. 

Off topic nonsense personal accusations instead of addressing the topic--inevitably. Ready for some posts to be removed?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Another straw man. Nobody said, implied, or suggested the amount required is trivial. I think you should come up with some useful, informative point or quit the thread, as you're just repeating the same thing over and over.

Back at you.  I pointed out, they are a good idea.  However you and others keep pounding the refrain that they should be mandatory.  I merely point out the obvious that you seem to want to ignore.  THEY COST MONEY. 

Just now, Longwood50 said:

However you and others keep pounding the refrain that they should be mandatory. 

Lying about me. You may name the others.

I merely point out the obvious that you seem to want to ignore.  THEY COST MONEY. 

Not only have I not ignored your obvious, somewhat exaggerated point, I've addressed it several times already. I think you're soon going to need some help in getting out of the loop.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2023 at 11:21 AM, Tony M said:

We have sprinklers in Jomtien Beach Condo.  Not only do we have them, they are tested regularly. The condo is 20 years old, so no reason why older buildings shouldn't also have sprinkler systems. 

Do the sprinklers work? I had 2 condos in Jomtien Beach Condo and the sprinkler system was never maintained to my knowledge.

Edited by Photoguy21

3 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

You must have a lucky face.  

Unnecessary, as the odds are so extremely low. Your basic issue is that you "loath" (sic) living in a condo, so you'll just troll and stir the pot with whatever comes to hand. And you're off topic again. 

On 2/4/2023 at 1:42 PM, Skallywag said:

According to google, Amazon Residence was completed in 2014.  I live in a condo in south Pattaya that was completed in 2015 and it has a sprinkler system, so I had the idea that it was part of building code here.

I had a condo at Amazon about 5 years ago and it was probably only a couple of years old at that point. I am pretty sure they had a sprinkler system.

There is no gas as far as I am aware, all units had electric hobs.

16 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

Do the sprinklers work? I had 2 condos in Jomtien Beach Condo and the sprinkler system was never maintained to my knowledge.

Difficult things to test fully... run the pumps and alarm system by bleeding it somewhere. I have little confidence that such a system would be maintained very well here....

19 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, they don't.

Thanks, I was going on personnal experience. A late friend had a condo in Hua Hin, believe it or not called "The Flame Tree", and they did not allow them. Also, my Son's apartment, also in H.H. does not allow them either.

We own a condo in Amazon and there is no gas appliances fitted. Cooking hob is electric (the new type where you need use specific pans). So if there is any gas in any of the rooms, then that is free standing and put there by the individual owners/renters. If that is the case, it would be difficult to monitor and control that. They do annual fire system testing and give advance warning of such. There are smoke detectors and alarms in the condos and there is a security link up but have not seen any sprinkler system installed (but I could be wrong).

On 2/4/2023 at 3:33 PM, Longwood50 said:

So you would propose having pipes affixed to the exterior walls and ceiling.  Yes, you could do that but consider aesthetically what that would do to the hotel or condo.  Also lets say the building is 5 to 10 stories.  Just exactly how do you propose getting the water line from each story if it is not drilled through the ceiling. 

most buildings including older one's have what's called a pipe shaft .... which is a void usually in the corner for all pipes, water, electrical and conduits etc ...  and each condo has it's utilities run from there.

• Like 2

On 2/4/2023 at 11:01 AM, Peterw42 said:

You wont find many (if any) condo buildings with sprinklers in Thailand. I come from Australia, and its not that common there either.

Mine has them, plus a warning system in the bedroom that will play a recorded voice that you must evacuate the building if there is a fire. And no, it not a brand new condo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

most buildings including older one's have what's called a pipe shaft .... which is a void usually in the corner for all pipes, water, electrical and conduits etc ...  and each condo has it's utilities run from there.

I was not aware of that.  If that is true, certainly the retrofit would be far easier.  However it still does not change that such an installation is expensive.  Getting every condo owner to pay is more than a challenge.  For apartment buildings or hotels that have gone through two years of Covid, I doubt they have money just laying around for installing a sprinkling system.  

In the USA, all new facilities must have them.  Older facilites retrofitted if they are like for children or nursing homes, hospitals etc. 

• Like 1