Double Charging I know it exists but it is still very annoying.

Nip

22 hours ago, sidjameson said:

You lived in western country growing up and was given countless free stuff on the agreement that you stay and spend money in that economy forever after. 

The people of the nation pay for their children to be educated, as it is best for the future of that nation.  However, there is no "agreement" and people are not penalised if they choose to live in another country.

You didn't and benefitted massively from the deal, as did I.

Sure, people who do not live in a developing country benefit from that fact.  That does not mean that you should be penalised if you move to a developing country and begin working and/or paying taxes.

Now you're on the wrong end of deal in Thailand but we're talking a few thousand BAHT a year.

Now you're being exploited by greedy individuals.  There is no deal.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, gomangosteen said:

Anyhow, no drama, just taken by surprise, my first experience as a foreign spy.

I imagine your Western handlers were furious at missing out on all the juicy military secrets you would have uncovered for them.  Presumably squeezing by all the Thais taking photos to post on Facebook to put your hidden camera to good use.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Nip said:

Afterwards my son and I went for a haircut near the museum and the price on the wall was 100 for me and 200 for him so he should have paid 300 Baht but we were charged 600 Baht again my son paid not wanting me to get involved.

This one would have really <deleted> me off.  It's annoying with the tourist attractions, but this is no different to them stealing money out of your pocket simply because you aren't Thai.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

people say principle but it is really the money... 

It's the principle.  Even a haircut being 200 Baht instead of 100 Baht is one step away from simply taking 100 Baht from your pocket because you're foreign.  And 100 Baht isn't a huge sum.

23 hours ago, TravelerEastWest said:

Almost 20 years in Thailand and I also am frustrated as I have a work permit and pay taxes etc.

But to be fair locals get a discount in many places worldwide...

In america I think it is more of a state thing not based on nationality.

So someone from New York will often pay more in Hawaii than a local but move there and show your Hawaii state drivers license and you get the discount.

Yes, elsewhere it's based on residency and linked to local taxes. In Thailand it's based purely on Race.  So, 'to be fair' it's racism. I've experienced it also with 'pretties' handing out free samples, usually outside shopping malls. They see Whitey coming and the arm offering whatever is withdrawn - Thai only.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

If my country treated my wife with the same ‘dual pricing standards’ I witness here I’d be terribly embarrassed, I’d kick up a stink.

I think you'd find that many Thais are embarrassed about it too. My wife certainly is. She's also embarrassed by the ridiculous immigration rules. We have our 32nd anniversary this month, I've lived with her in Thailand for 26 years or more, and still I have to seek permission to 'visit' her and report myself to the immigration police every 90 days.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/4/2023 at 3:43 PM, TravelerEastWest said:

I have a work permit and pay taxes etc.

Me too.

I am glad to inform that at Safari World, if you carry your original WP, you will pay same price as a Thai.

Visited in Jan 2023 and was pleasantly surprised.

I think its a positive step in the right direction by the owners of Safari World.

• Thumbs Up 1

It is annoying, but it’s not the money or principle that annoys so much as the terribly depressing realization of the thinking behind it in some cases. It is hurtful.

I’d guess the kids are handling this as best they can, especially with museums (otherwise every time it’s an ethical decision - don’t go or leave Dad on his own - worse with national parks when it is an all day thing). It isn’t going to change anytime soon and if we are (not saying you are) claiming it is ‘on principle’ that we don’t go into places, that only makes sense if we really live a principle-based life.

I think it’s generally worse for my wife in these tourist places though. Lucky if she gets away with “and what first attracted you to millionaire Nonthaburi Boy?” type questions, even well after she hit 40! Not sure now, as we just holiday elsewhere unless my family are visiting - then she’s taken for the tour guide, which is slightly less annoying. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, DrJoy said:

Me too.

I am glad to inform that at Safari World, if you carry your original WP, you will pay same price as a Thai.

Visited in Jan 2023 and was pleasantly surprised.

I think its a positive step in the right direction by the owners of Safari World.

Always been that way at certain places but never sure where or if it stays the same. Sometimes I’ve even got into national parks for local rates but sometimes not. Anyway, it’s too much research in practice, but thanks for the information.

The 80-baht martyr

The National Maritime Museum is in Chanthaburi province, about 7km from the city at Bang Kacha inside the walls of a fortress built around 1834 during the reign of Rama III against invading Vietnamese, walls still lined with cannon.

This review from a farang visiting from Bangkok - hope whoever he was traveling with also agreed on his 'principle' and missed seeing the museum altogether.

The 100 baht charge for foreigners didn't inspire us to delve deeper, so we left without visiting at all.

Guessing it was a sour journey home with a miserable git moaning the whole way.

"It's the principle!"

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, sidjameson said:

Who paid for your schooling to 18?

Health care to 18?

Precisely.  Not "free".  Somebody paid.  The same way I have pitifully paid taxes and respected the law all my adult life - both for myself and for the moribund community of which I was a part.

I know what you meant when you used the word "free".  But, really, there ain't no free lunch.  Unless you're an illegal migrant to the West - then everything is free.  But we won't go there.

Edited by Lee65

So maybe it's not really the dual pricing in itself that's so very terrible.  It's Thailand's other 999 cuts to the death in addition to the dual pricing that add up and can occasionally cause one to, let's say, balk.

"Death by 1,000 Cuts in Thailand: Here's The List!" 

Someone wanna start that thread?   :whistling:

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yeah, feet stamping and sulking and spoiling the Thai family's proposed day out for a couple of hundred baht and "principles" in a country that you chose to live in as a temporary visitor, knowing it's drawbacks.

Did Liverpool loose today? 3-0 to bottom of the table Wolves I see. That is a good reason stamp your feet and sulk. There was no stomping and sulking on my part and nobodies day was ruined. It's the double whammy of being scammed ie getting a haircut too and being charged 600 when the price list says 200 + 100 ie 300 baht. Its the principal it was my money and they have no right to steal it.  

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

It's the principle.  Even a haircut being 200 Baht instead of 100 Baht is one step away from simply taking 100 Baht from your pocket because you're foreign.  And 100 Baht isn't a huge sum.

Most places have the price posted - - 

4 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Most places have the price posted - - 

According to the OP's story, the price was posted, but they still charged him extra.

He said that his son paid so as not to make a fuss, but it kind of sounds in this instance they were trying it on and perhaps pointing at the sign and saying they know what the price is would have got the guy to back down.

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

According to the OP's story, the price was posted, but they still charged him extra.

He said that his son paid so as not to make a fuss, but it kind of sounds in this instance they were trying it on and perhaps pointing at the sign and saying they know what the price is would have got the guy to back down.

I have been here more than 20 years- - I never have problems like that... the fact that his kids get involved and are embarrassed at least tells me there is more to the story... why is it most people never have problems like that but some have it all the time? 

21 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I have been here more than 20 years- - I never have problems like that... the fact that his kids get involved and are embarrassed at least tells me there is more to the story... why is it most people never have problems like that but some have it all the time? 

Ha Ha Ha there is always ONE with the inane 'more to the story' statement. The Pink Panther has caught me out. Looks like you have been in the same spot in Thailand for 20 years. You should get out more! The kids are not in the slightest bit embarrassed they find it amusing. I was just passing a comment. Anyway in this big bad world Pinky it is good for children to learn to stand up for themselves. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Nip said:

Ha Ha Ha there is always ONE with the inane 'more to the story' statement.

Yo Nippy - There is always one to call that out... hey, I am not the one whose kids have to pay for me - - or who has the old - - its not the money - issues... I have lived in many places in Thailand and my daily life goes on w/o conflicts over 10 baht here and there... why do you think you are getting overcharged so often - - - attitude problem? 

12 hours ago, BangkokReady said:
14 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What the duck are you talking about?  Did Liverpool "loosen" what, their corsets, belts...what?

To "loose" (verb) something would mean to set something free or let it go.

I'm very well aware of the meaning of both "loose" and "lose", thanks.  Perhaps your comment should have been addressed to another poster?