Death Certificate translate and copy

Not required for a long time yet I hope, but how does one acquire a translated and certified copy of a death certificate.

Morbid subject I know, but I want to get all ducks in row when the time does arrive so the family can do all necessary with as little difficulty as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Take the Thai death certificate to a reputable translator and get it translated.  Take it and the original Thai certificates to the U.S. Consulate in Chiangmai or Bangkok and they will issue you 15 stamped/certified Death of an American overseas as you wait.  Make an appointment first, maybe call the emergency number reporting the death of an American and ask.

If you are not an American, your Embassy's procedure should be similar but check first.

• Like 2

I have the following experience after the passing away of a Dutchman in Thailand, living with a partner but not married. He collapsed and was taken to hospital. The police was involved, as is often the case when a farang is involved to rule out non-natural causes of death. The body was taken to a University hospital. At that point you can either agree to an autopsy or refuse it. In case of suspicion of course an autopsy will be mandatory. Then a death certificate is issued by the district office, in Thai. If a translation is needed for legal purposes, e.g. inheritance, there are many offices (Trendy in Sukhumvit soi 13 has them) that will provide a translation and legalisation by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The latter is not so easy if you have to do this yourself. It cost 2000 baht. Then for use outside of Thailand it needs to be legalized by the appropriate embassy. But all this is only necessary if matters are to be settled outside of Thailand.

On 2/8/2023 at 10:38 AM, Raybangkok said:

I was executer to my friend when he died I sent the Thai death certificat to the UK pensions dept they had no problem accepting it in Thai.

Thank you Ray. They have indeed accepted documents from me previously. However, this is for the executor of my UK Will and having spoken to the UK bank they will only accept a certified translation.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/8/2023 at 1:20 PM, Dirk Z said:

I have the following experience after the passing away of a Dutchman in Thailand, living with a partner but not married. He collapsed and was taken to hospital. The police was involved, as is often the case when a farang is involved to rule out non-natural causes of death. The body was taken to a University hospital. At that point you can either agree to an autopsy or refuse it. In case of suspicion of course an autopsy will be mandatory. Then a death certificate is issued by the district office, in Thai. If a translation is needed for legal purposes, e.g. inheritance, there are many offices (Trendy in Sukhumvit soi 13 has them) that will provide a translation and legalisation by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The latter is not so easy if you have to do this yourself. It cost 2000 baht. Then for use outside of Thailand it needs to be legalized by the appropriate embassy. But all this is only necessary if matters are to be settled outside of Thailand.

Thanks Dirk. All useful information, much appreciated.

13 minutes ago, Surasak said:

Thank you Ray. They have indeed accepted documents from me previously. However, this is for the executor of my UK Will and having spoken to the UK bank they will only accept a certified translation.

I have a last will and testament which is in English and followed by Thai. My assets in Thailand will all go to my son and I do not expect any problems. I am not sure about my assets in the UK I will supply an English will but not sure if they will accept Thai witnesses although one will be my lawyer. Any advice would be helpful.

LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT 2.docx

5 hours ago, Raybangkok said:

I have a last will and testament which is in English and followed by Thai. My assets in Thailand will all go to my son and I do not expect any problems. I am not sure about my assets in the UK I will supply an English will but not sure if they will accept Thai witnesses although one will be my lawyer. Any advice would be helpful.

LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT 2.docx 21.64 kB · 2 downloads

Only thing I can answer to that is, My UK will was witnessed by two English people living in Thailand, one is a business owner the other a teacher, who is now unfortunately dead. However, the will was at the time received by the solicitor in the UK and I have to assume that is OK. If you use a Thai as a witness, I would make sure they have good standing in the community, such as your lawyer or similar, with proof of said standing.

• Thumbs Up 1