new 25 X 455w installation in CM by contractor

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Your arc welder works at 50-60V and 100A or so. It's pretty bright and hot. It's also current limited and easy to disconnect.

Imagine an arc capable of a few kA at 400V with no current limit and no means of disconnection!

That will blind, cause severe burns and even kill unless the correct PPE is in use.

Many,many,many years ago I maintained elevators that were circa world war I.

Many of the buildings with these elevators were totally powered 440v DC,the generators were giants as they powered the tramways networks in Melbourne Australia.

The controllers for the elevator motors were all also very large with out arc suppression on the contactors so when they opened they drew huge,frightening arcs.

On one occasion I was sent to such a building designed by American architect Walter Burley Griffen,as the elevator was out of order.

After climbing the stairs to the roof found supply failure, only had 220v,down to ground floor,located main switch in cupboard under stairs.

The lobby was very small so that opening the door to the main switch blocked off any exit from the foyer.

So opened the door and found the main 2 blade knife switch glowing ,sputtering flames from a high resistance on one blade. In this space there was also a leaking town gas meter and loose newspaper pages that had previously blown into the lobby. There was also a broom that I used to scrape out as much paper as I could. Fortunately the supply authority depot was less than a 500 yards away,they came opened a box in the pavement at the front of the building removed fuses and I decamped quickly .

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oddly enough, the first recorded death by electrocution of a Royal Navy sailor was by a 48V DC supply. Apparently, he became trapped against a bus-bar, couldn't escape and basically "cooked" slowly ????

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Oddly enough, the first recorded death by electrocution of a Royal Navy sailor was by a 48V DC supply. Apparently, he became trapped against a bus-bar, couldn't escape and basically "cooked" slowly ????

True story about a man. An AVO 8 and an 11kv board. A technician (articifer) needed to check something with his meter but didn't lock off the board after disconnection. A colleague switched the board back on unaware of the situation.

The AVO 8 went into orbit and undoubtedly saved the technicians life. The technician spent a week in hospital before honourable discharge on medical grounds.

Edited by Muhendis
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, 007 RED said:

@gamb00ler  Have to say that looks a really great job and I hope that you get your monies worth out of it.  Definitely something well above the 'pay grade' of the average DIYer like me.  WELL DONE.

100% agree. :thumbsup:

For a system like that fully installed by professionals, and all PEA-approved kit, for just over 700K baht it's pretty impressive.

I am now starting to re-think my own requirements... the DIY route may be cheaper, but my age and physical condition is going to force me to use alternative/additional labour for much of it anyway... the contractor installed route may work better for me too.

This has given me a lot more homework to do... :cool:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

I'm not quite tall enough to get this next shot... I stole it from the contractors FB page.  Only 22 panels up at this point.  Final count is 25.

panels.jpg

Another positive about your installation is that none of the PV panels are visible from the road... maintaining your "street appeal" and keeping it out of sight of any prying (PEA) eyes... :cool:

On 2/11/2023 at 3:42 PM, gamb00ler said:

Apparently PEA doesn't allow solar system over 10Kw to feed into the grid.

Does that mean that it can't/won't feed into the grid, or that you have been advised that you shouldn't feed into the grid? :whistling:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Encid said:

Another positive about your installation is that none of the PV panels are visible from the road... maintaining your "street appeal" and keeping it out of sight of any prying (PEA) eyes... :cool:

Does that mean that it can't/won't feed into the grid, or that you have been advised that you shouldn't feed into the grid? :whistling:

We're doing everything by the book.  Our installation requires and will have a permit to attach to the grid.  Plus, our 3 phase meter is the new smart one that doesn't turn backwards.  The best I can hope for is a relaxation of the rules on size of solar installation.  Our inverter does have export capability.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very nice looking install.   My biggest concern for solar on my house is the roof mounting causing leaks.   I have asphalt shingles 20 years old.  So I would want to do a new roof at the same time 12-15k USD.   Also freezing climate here so more important the top roof drainage plane is leak proof.  

Did the panels go on with roofing contractor there or after roof was done.  It looks like the cement tiles?  I see horizontal mounting brackets I think?  I would like to see and understand how they mounted things and how your tiles are mounted.   I'm careful around 12v batteries after I let a wrench touch both terminals.  That was enough of arc flash for me and the missing metal on my wrench is my reminder to not do stupid again.  

Oh also I don't think most Americans understand water penetration unless they have been roofers for 20 years.  Most minor roof leaks are not discovered for 5 years.  I do have a 12x34' workshop, with South facing slope, but with the requirements of walking space around the panels I don't think I can get many there plus I think the wires to the house would need to go underground and that means sawing a  40' trench in my cement.