new 25 X 455w installation in CM by contractor

16 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

Total was 709K฿, of which 60K was for labor and permiting, 61K for mounting hardware and cabling.

There was some extra cabling required because both houses have consumer units for their own breakers.

I'm not sure what pictures you would like to see.  Open the consumer units? and the box with the ATS  and volt and amp meters?

Wayyyyyyyy too expensive IMHO.

2x 10kWhr batteries = 100kbht

25 panels = 100kbht.

10kW inverter = 35kbht

Cables/mountings/breakers = peanuts.

So effectively you paid 3x the price of the parts.

And it will be interesting to see how many leaks your new roof has in the monsoon.

Not keen on roof mounting, the Thai workers usually aren't up to that job.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

Here's a short video by a different solar contractor in Thailand.  The installation depicted is almost exactly what we have.  I had contacted the contractor in this video but he doesn't work in CM so he referred me to the contractor I did use.

https://www.facebook.com/561102171/videos/1275039493075446/ 

image.png.fc6a476453b81e37e1239eecdf465789.png

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

17 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

Total was 709K฿, of which 60K was for labor and permiting, 61K for mounting hardware and cabling.

There was some extra cabling required because both houses have consumer units for their own breakers.

From what I have been seeing lately you have got a pretty reasonable price for a professionally installed system. :thumbsup:

Sure, there are cheaper systems around, but for a contractor-installed system comprising 11.25 kW of PV plus a 10 kW 3 phase on-grid hybrid inverter with 16.4 kWh of ESS (high voltage means faster charging and discharging rates) I think that it's a pretty good deal.

The installation looks very professional, although I'd be a little concerned over the bottom battery being susceptible to the occasional accidental swipe from a wet mop... I'd prefer to see it raised about 20cm.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:

The Alpha kit is certainly not "budget", it's also not DIYable (HV batteries etc.). 

Apart from the faster charging and discharging rates are there any other benefits to using an HV (389-400V) ESS?

What about longevity compared with LV (48V)? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

2 X  Alpha T10 High Voltage Battery 8.2kwh

I see that both the inverter and the battery packs have 5 year product warranties, and the battery pack has a 10 year performance warranty.

image.png.b84aad42b51f4b6db35ebc6c62899dfa.png

34 minutes ago, Encid said:

Apart from the faster charging and discharging rates are there any other benefits to using an HV (389-400V) ESS?

What about longevity compared with LV (48V)? 

Using a HV pack reduces the load / charge currents.

10kW @ 50V (48V pack) is 200A = pretty fat wires.

10kW @ 300V (288V pack) is 33A = much more manageable cable sizes.

Also, you can use smaller individual cells, cheaper to manufacture, more mature production process.

10kWh @ 50V = 200Ah so 16 x 200Ah cells.

10kWh @ 300V = 33Ah so 96 x 33Ah cells.

Of course, this comes with a more complex BMS, but electronics is cheap and reliable these days.

The dangers associated with HV DC supplies really preclude DIYing, the risk of shock and arc-flash is just too great. Stick to 48V in the DIY world although even 48V can get pretty "exciting" if poorly implemented.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

Arc flash at 400v?

Your arc welder works at 50-60V and 100A or so. It's pretty bright and hot. It's also current limited and easy to disconnect.

Imagine an arc capable of a few kA at 400V with no current limit and no means of disconnection!

That will blind, cause severe burns and even kill unless the correct PPE is in use.

14 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Imagine an arc capable of a few kA at 400V with no current limit and no means of disconnection!

That will blind, cause severe burns and even kill unless the correct PPE is in use.

It would also vaporize whatever was being welded including the welder maybe. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I imagine it's along the lines of the EV pack warranties, 90% (or whatever) capacity after 10 years.

That's exactly what I was referring to...

The warranty typically guarantees that the battery won’t degrade past a certain percent of the original charge capacity during the warranty term.

I'd be happy with the warranties provided by Alpha.

38 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

Hmmm.

A contactless contractor.

I guess he left his contact details in the event of any rework required............:whistling:

:cheesy:

They've taken away the laughing emoji so here's another one just for you.

• Like 1

Sorry about the private link to the video.  Try this one to the solar contractors FB page.  Currently the video I linked to is the first one listed on his page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/300126774329850/?hoisted_section_header_type=recently_seen&multi_permalinks=931140141228507

@Crossy we don't have a carport type roof available, same problem on garage as main roof

garage.jpeg

The ATS for backup power to selected circuits:

ats.jpg

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Not sure if this is the same video.

That's my installer, Sean.  The video I tried to link to was by another foreign owned solar installation company that referred me to Eyekandi Solar.

• Like 1