Query about unsatisfactory toilet situation.

Toolong

11 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Take off the rectangular cover near the bottom of the toilet, on the side of the toilet, and you will likely find the bolts or where they should have been.

Dante....you were right......but I didn't say so until now because I felt so stupid. How on earth did I miss that??? My goodness, it was always so obvious. Now I do feel rather embarrassed......but grateful to you for pointing this old fool in the right direction. Much obliged. ????

• Like 1

Most Thai toilets are designed to be away from the wall for cleaning all around the toilet and not designed to be up against the wall which is not hygienic . All pans have a recommended distance from the wall to the center of the soil pipe coming through the floor . Your cote toilet has been fitted incorrectly 

3 hours ago, Woof999 said:

Hell no.

I judge each of mine by the quality of the plop. Extra points for a "round the u-bend in once piece".

You mean immediately round the u-bend even before flushing? That's next-level stuff. Way out of my league. Respect.

????

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, itsari said:

Most Thai toilets are designed to be away from the wall for cleaning all around the toilet and not designed to be up against the wall which is not hygienic . All pans have a recommended distance from the wall to the center of the soil pipe coming through the floor . Your cote toilet has been fitted incorrectly 

This is an area of advanced 'toilet science' I am not qualified to speak of, itsari. ????

You may be right. But I am curious to know why it is 'not hygienic' to have them up against the wall. The reason I say that is because I noticed many toilets for sale are of the completey enclosed-base type, with no opening at the rear......which, to my mind, amounts to the same as having an open back toilet sealed against a wall. No?

I would genuinely like to know why one type might be considered better (ie, more hygienic) than the other. I"m on a learning curve here....????????

9 hours ago, Toolong said:

Dante....you were right......but I didn't say so until now because I felt so stupid. How on earth did I miss that??? My goodness, it was always so obvious. Now I do feel rather embarrassed......but grateful to you for pointing this old fool in the right direction. Much obliged. ????

Come on … we are all waited with bated breath as to what will be found when you remove the pan…watch out for snake lol

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Come on … we are all waited with bated breath as to what will be found when you remove the pan…watch out for snake lol

????????

I'm sure you will agree though.....it felt very embarrassing, so I kinda hoped no one would ask ????......though as it turned out I went for the confession instead! Full disclosure!

So yeah.....no bolts. Can't even see signs of a flange of any kind, either, rubber or wax, though it's possible there might be, but doesn't look like it.  

Oh, the rich pageant of it all! ????

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Toolong said:

????????

I'm sure you will agree though.....it felt very embarrassing, so I kinda hoped no one would ask ????......though as it turned out I went for the confession instead! Full disclosure!

So yeah.....no bolts. Can't even see signs of a flange of any kind, either, rubber or wax, though it's possible there might be, but doesn't look like it.  

Oh, the rich pageant of it all! ????

As said that is the norm and works OK as long as good cement seal all around and they remember to fill the bolt holes with cement.  Now, if doing yourself, will have to make sure the drain hole is in proper position if you want to use a seal/bolt down approach.  If you were getting insects they must not have sealed all of toilet base to floor properly or air vent after thought (many do not use) hole extended beyond toilet base.  Once you get it clean should not be that bad - but first look is never pleasant.

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

As said that is the norm and works OK as long as good cement seal all around and they remember to fill the bolt holes with cement.  Now, if doing yourself, will have to make sure the drain hole is in proper position if you want to use a seal/bolt down approach.  If you were getting insects they must not have sealed all of toilet base to floor properly or air vent after thought (many do not use) hole extended beyond toilet base.  Once you get it clean should not be that bad - but first look is never pleasant.

Thanks for your comment, lopburi3. ????

Can I just ask about one thing you say, which I can't quite understand:

'....or air vent after thought (many do not use) hole......'

Not sure what you mean, though I do understand the bit about the hole not extending 'beyond the toilet base'.

Cheers. ????

7 minutes ago, Toolong said:

Thanks for your comment, lopburi3. ????

Can I just ask about one thing you say, which I can't quite understand:

'....or air vent after thought (many do not use) hole......'

Not sure what you mean, though I do understand the bit about the hole not extending 'beyond the toilet base'.

Cheers. ????

There should be a direct air vent from the immediate toilet drain area to allow fast downward flow from toilet bowl - but often they only have one air vent located from the actual septic tank.  Will be a pipe going high enough to keep smells into the wind (although some just end in attic).  Will look like below but may be at floor surface if added later.

plumbing - Cheater vent from Behind Toilet - Home Improvement Stack Exchange

25 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

There should be a direct air vent from the immediate toilet drain area to allow fast downward flow from toilet bowl - but often they only have one air vent located from the actual septic tank.  Will be a pipe going high enough to keep smells into the wind (although some just end in attic).  Will look like below but may be at floor surface if added later.

plumbing - Cheater vent from Behind Toilet - Home Improvement Stack Exchange

Thanks for the very clear illustration. I can see what you mean. ????????

We only have the outside air vents, one large diameter vertical pipe before the sceptic tank, and one thinner pipe after the sceptic tank. The vent before the tank is large diameter, but being along the output pipe 2 metres from the toilet itself, it isn't really in 'the immediate toilet drain area'. But, water flow doesn't seem to be a problem at all.

After considering the helpful advice of yourself and many others, I'm set to: a) get myself a wax or rubber sealing ring kit, and b) a proficient handyman who recognizes without any hesitation what the ring kit is for and how to properly fit it! (Under my supervision!)

PS: if b) proves impossible, I'll try and do it myself. But I'm getting too old for that stuff! ????

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Toolong said:

59,900 baht!!! Pass me the smelling salts, Muriel! ????????

I was not born to enjoy these finer things in life, Encid! ????

PS: Then again, no USB ports? No cigarette lighter? No built-in toaster? No wine rack, obviously.  Beginning to wonder whether one really gets one's money's worth here, Encid......????????

You want the finer things in life?

How about this gold-plated beauty?

image.png.e0c8f73cdc60bce54df7d7213fa6242d.png

You can even get a matching urinal and sink for it too... :cool:

image.png.cb42e3fe44f145a4242d90de3da85ebe.png

9 hours ago, Toolong said:

Why am I not surprised? :cool:

You can buy a complete kit for your toilet (the image below is a Cotto kit) that contains all the bits you need (including the sealing wax ring and the holding-down bolts) at any HomePro or other DIY store.

image.png.f9ec540f2b4e67a30836571791b5a8aa.png

I removed my toilet last week so i can tile floor, no seal and only fixed down by cement. I did find an empty plastic milk bottle under the toilet, why someone would do that i cant imagine TIT! What amazes me is the small size of the hole in the base of the toilet which was just hovering over the 4" soil pipe , the floor was soaking wet under there.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Encid said:

You want the finer things in life?

How about this gold-plated beauty?

image.png.e0c8f73cdc60bce54df7d7213fa6242d.png

You can even get a matching urinal and sink for it too... :cool:

image.png.cb42e3fe44f145a4242d90de3da85ebe.png

????????......Well, I won't be ordering one anytime soon, but it's got me thinking - seriously - why go with boring white? Can't see why makers can't offer normal-priced stuff in different colour schemes. No doubt they do, I reckon, but tend not to see them much. (Not around where I am, that's for sure!)

Ermm.......definitely got me thinking! ????

14 hours ago, Encid said:

Why am I not surprised? :cool:

You can buy a complete kit for your toilet (the image below is a Cotto kit) that contains all the bits you need (including the sealing wax ring and the holding-down bolts) at any HomePro or other DIY store.

image.png.f9ec540f2b4e67a30836571791b5a8aa.png

Encid....brilliant! That's the baby I need. Will download picture and take it to Home-Pro. 

Thank you so much! ????????????????

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Boyn said:

I removed my toilet last week so i can tile floor, no seal and only fixed down by cement. I did find an empty plastic milk bottle under the toilet, why someone would do that i cant imagine TIT! What amazes me is the small size of the hole in the base of the toilet which was just hovering over the 4" soil pipe , the floor was soaking wet under there.

'TIT' indeed. (Bins around the country must get full of brand- new, unused toilet ring seals just discarded!)

The small size hole? Did it not match the 4 inch soil pipe? Aren't they a standard size?

(These are all genuine questions, by the way. I honestly don't know. I just assume they must be a standard size. Oh, well. ????)

14 hours ago, Boyn said:

Most people cannot produce turds bigger than about 1.5” in dia, so exit hole from toilet doesn’t need to be that big.

• Haha 2