Hotel/condo safes and small laptop/tablet

InlandSea

it depends on the safe. I have managed to put my laptop in some hotel safes, in others it won't fit.

My 11" ipad normally fits OK.

They are not really secure, but apart from carrying it all day, what can one do?

The only thing I have thought of is to take a photo of the computer and other contents in the safe as proof that they were indeed put there. Most theft from hotel safes is usually staff.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, phetphet said:

it depends on the safe. I have managed to put my laptop in some hotel safes, in others it won't fit.

My 11" ipad normally fits OK.

They are not really secure, but apart from carrying it all day, what can one do?

Yeah, I am not sure there's another option other than hiding it somewhere. I expect that a long-term condo rental wouldn't have the same security concerns, but I guess that depends on who you rent it from. I don't mean to be overly paranoid; I'm really just trying to figure out what size of laptop/notebook that I want to buy. Thanks for the info.

3 hours ago, phetphet said:

My 11"【28 cm】 ipad normally fits OK.

The only thing I have thought of is to take a photo of the computer and other contents in the safe as proof that they were indeed put there. Most theft from hotel safes is usually staff.

What can one do, indeed.

My solution was to get a cheap throwaway laptop and tablet. No banking or shopping apps, no automatic logins, passwords kept in Bitwarden. I don't much care if they're stolen. I lock them in my bag. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Room safes differ in size.

All I can tell that my 14" notebook fits in a half decent hotel safe. Taken so many pictures but never of the room safe :biggrin:

Not the super primitive type with the wheel handle to open.

Many Some room safes take up to 17" notebooks.

Just checked one from a four star in Pattaya and 15" notebook/laptop would be the maximum.

But really to be sure you would have to ask at the accommodation before booking.

safe.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

You wont get it in most safes.

Ive never put my laptop or phones in any safe just leave them in the room and as mentioned Ive never had anything nicked and probably spent hundreds of nights in all manner of hotels.

Only thing i have had taken was a camou baseball cap, which a lady of the night took on her way out of my room one morning, no payment had been made so i looked at it as a good deal.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/11/2023 at 6:41 PM, Gottfrid said:

As you know, size does not matter. It´s all about safety. ???? When it comes to hotel safes, that it basically like leaving the laptop on the bed as cleaning tip for the maids.

In twenty years of my visit to Thailand and keeping my laptop in hotel outside the safe (in my bag when I am out), I never had anything stolen. 

An alternative, which I always use, is a security box at the cashiers. There are large boxes as well as the small ones. 

They are safe.

However, the safety box key is the punter’s responsibility and one has to take care not to lose the key or there’s a fine!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, ArnieP said:

An alternative, which I always use, is a security box at the cashiers. There are large boxes as well as the small ones. 

They are safe.

However, the safety box key is the punter’s responsibility and one has to take care not to lose the key or there’s a fine!

Yes, a safety box at front desk is the safest of all. Very handy for things you don't use often like passports, emergency cash, credit cards, banking smartphone. Hardly practical for something you will use every day like maybe a laptop or a smartphone you use nearly all the time. 

• Thumbs Up 1