Certificate of residence - Rental contract enough to show ?

I hear many people say that about CW, that you need a 90 day report first. It's not logical at all to me honestly and I know its not the case in Hua Hin and Phuket.

My situation: Staying long term in an hotel, got TM30 from them, got a 20 year Thai Elite Visa. Because I work outside of Thailand, I travel every month 1 time at least, I will never do 90 day reporting, as I never stay 90 days.

So that would mean I can never get a residence certificate to get a driving license, buy a car/motorbike basically, I find that weird. One way or another, I will try to fix something.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to get a residence certificate somewhere, Watthana or CW. Let's see what happens. Need it to convert my driver license.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Doctor Martin said:

I was asking about the documents I need from my landlord. I know about the 90 days report.

So there is absolutely no way around this 90 day reporting thing in Bangkok? I have a 5 year visa (part of Elite 20 years), but will never stay 90 days.

• Like 1

You simply need to have your landlord register you as living in his house or condo. Once he does that you can record your residence. I dont think you would have to do a 90 day report as you dont stay 90 days. But you do have to register where you live. 

PHUKET:
90 day report not needed, i got a cor on a visa exempt entry with screen shot of the tm30 report the hotel did when i checked in
passport copy, vise exempt entry stamp copy
used it to buy a bike and get an appt for motorcycle license

Edited by zzzzz

2 minutes ago, marin said:

You simply need to have your landlord register you as living in his house or condo. Once he does that you can record your residence. I dont think you would have to do a 90 day report as you dont stay 90 days. But you do have to register where you live. 

Yeah sure, I have the TM30 from the landlord registering that I live here.

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Correct. 

Well that sucks and is pretty stupid, right? As we are reading also here on the forum, Phuket no problems and I know many cities in Thailand do not require this.

Guess I'm going to Hua Hin then tmr evening to arrange it there!

43 minutes ago, Doctor Martin said:

I was asking about the documents I need from my landlord. I know about the 90 days report.

I last obtained a residence certificate 2 years ago in Bangkok.

I had my lease and copy however didn't take it.

I provided TM47 receipt (seemed to be main item) 

Also some basic pages from pp.

200baht and posted out within 1-2 weeks. 

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

As far as I'm aware CW is the only immigration office that has this requirement. 

No point in comparing Phuket.

I agree, no point of comparing. But I will register with a friend in Hua Hin then this week, I just need to get it done, one way or another. Thx for the info here guys!

• Thumbs Up 1

Update here:

This morning with an agent (costing 3000 baht) who said she could get Residence Certificate at CW without 90 day report (I never stay over 50 days without leaving).... and in the end.....she also couldn't. So what a waste of time.

I feel ELITE visa is not so ELITE at the moment lol, such stupid rule and ONLY in Bangkok.

So.....tmr I go to another city and will get it there. Will also do my driving license there. I'm told that in 2 days from now I will have both driving license in hand and I can finally buy a car with the other residence certificate.

Bottom line: Forget about CW in BKK for now for Residence Certificate if you have no 90 day report from the past.

3 hours ago, Wout888 said:

So.....tmr I go to another city and will get it there. Will also do my driving license there. I'm told that in 2 days from now I will have both driving license in hand and I can finally buy a car with the other residence certificate.

Thanks @Wout888, your post is helpful as I'm in the same situation. Never stay in Thailand longer than 60-70 days without leaving. Glad that my embassy issues the certificate of residency (though it's 1600 THB).

Wondering where will you register your car? When you have a residency certificate from another province, you probably can't register your car in Bangkok. So do you plan to live in Bangkok with a car registered in another province on an address you don't reside?

to get a residency certificate u need file a TM 30 OR stay in a hotel and get the hotel to give you a screen shot when they report you

dont expect to get a license in 2 days unless ur really lucky>
Here in Phuket there is a 2 month backlog,  even Phang nga is at least a week

did you do https://www.dlt-elearning.com/Passport   yet?

Edited by zzzzz

A lot of mystery surrounds this certificate of residence from immigration.

1. Unlike other immigration forms, it has no TM number.

2. Neither the Immigration Act nor any Ministeral Regulation or Police Oder or other rule based on the Immigration Act mention it.

3. Apparently only the Department of Land Transportation (DLT) requires it.

When did this form come into existence?

Is it possible that the DLT and Immigration are in cahoot over this, invented this form and introduced the DLT requirement to get a nice little side income being shared between them?

50 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Is it possible that the DLT and Immigration are in cahoot over this, invented this form and introduced the DLT requirement to get a nice little side income being shared between them?

Banks also in recent times require certificate of residence to open bank account.

1 hour ago, Maestro said:

A lot of mystery surrounds this certificate of residence from immigration.

1. Unlike other immigration forms, it has no TM number.

2. Neither the Immigration Act nor any Ministeral Regulation or Police Oder or other rule based on the Immigration Act mention it.

3. Apparently only the Department of Land Transportation (DLT) requires it.

When did this form come into existence?

As I personally found out this week, Samui Immigration have stopped issuing them.

DLT will only issue to holders of Pink Card and Yellow Book.

Tessaban will only issue to holders of Yellow Book.

13 minutes ago, phetphet said:

As I personally found out this week, Samui Immigration have stopped issuing them.

Samui has always had it's own rules.

Not really applicable to most of Thailand. 

You also state....

"DLT will only issue to holders of Pink Card and Yellow Book.

Tessaban will only issue to holders of Yellow Book" 

Where is that. 

Those items you mention will not cut it in most locations

Edited by DrJack54

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Samui has always had it's own rules.

Not really applicable to most of Thailand. 

You also state....

"DLT will only issue to holders of Pink Card and Yellow Book.

Tessaban will only issue to holders of Yellow Book" 

Where is that. 

Those items you mention will not cut it in most locations

This is in Samui. I went to all three this week try and get one.

12 hours ago, phetphet said:

DLT will only issue to holders of Pink Card and Yellow Book.

Tessaban will only issue to holders of Yellow Book.

so in samui u cant buy or sell a car/bike, or get, renew ur license 
OR is this all handled over in Surat Thani

1 hour ago, zzzzz said:

so in samui u cant buy or sell a car/bike, or get, renew ur license 
OR is this all handled over in Surat Thani

Or open a bank account if that is a requirement.

My next step is to contact Surat Thani Immigration. If that doesn't work, I will have to apply for a Yellow Book.