GOP targets drag shows with new bills in at least 14 states

onthedarkside

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

Jesus Christ...get real, you left out the fact that women dress as men in panto also and that it is panto, not drag.  You'd take your children to a real drag show?

Pantomime or "Mrs. Doubtfire" or Jack Lemmon in "Some Like It Hot" is not what is at issue.  "Drag" implies hypersexualized and overdone stereotypic female behavior and mannerisms. It is a performance. Not a gender identity. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's interesting that you write here that you know it's all harmless but then you say you never visited such a show. So how do you know it's harmless? Just a picture of a family with some ladyboys is not exactly evidence for anything. 

You don't have to go to a cabaret show in Phuket when there are dozens of vids and hundreds of reviews from real customers who have been do you? Sorry when my mum came over for a visit it was not an item on her agenda.

Pros & Cons of a Republic ...

... people of that town, city, township, county, parish, state decide what is best for them.

Don't like it ... file a suit if you think your rights are infringed or move.

Edited by KhunLA

16 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Pantomime or "Mrs. Doubtfire" or Jack Lemmon in "Some Like It Hot" is not what is at issue.  "Drag" implies hypersexualized and overdone stereotypic female behavior and mannerisms. It is a performance. Not a gender identity. 

You’ve obviously never been to a pantomime.

‘Oh yes I have’

, is the expected response.

To which the audience will respond….

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's funny when some people here pretend they saw something in real but then they saw edited videos.

I saw enough edited videos of gogo bars, even on YouTube. 

And I saw a lot more in real.

I can assure you the YouTube vides show only a small part of what is going on in the gogo bars.

And that might be similar with the drag shows. So be careful when you pretend you know what is going on. 

Unless been to, and recently preferred, people shouldn't comment on what they don't know.

Recent shows ... can't help.

40 yrs ago, attended, and simply can describe as female impersonators, all singing (hindsight, maybe lip-sync), but quite talented, and none of the major flamboyancy you see now in the news or YT, IF your watching such things.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

It might have something to do with the rude and overtly sexual nature of the vast majority of drag shows.  Attempting to suddenly recast them as "wholesome entertainment for the entire family" is utterly ridiculous. 

How many have you seen? Could you write a review?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

You don't have to go to a cabaret show in Phuket when there are dozens of vids and hundreds of reviews from real customers who have been do you? Sorry when my mum came over for a visit it was not an item on her agenda.

It seems you have difficulties with the concepts of videos and reality.

Videos often show only a part, maybe a small part of reality. If you just watch videos, you don't get the whole picture.

And that is obviously not exactly news, and you should know this. Now the question is do you pretend that you don't understand the difference or do you don't understand that there is a difference. 

12 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

In the U.K. dedicated drag acts (female impersonators) like Danny LaRue, Dame Edna Everage and Lily Savage appeared regularly on t.v., even in Conservative Britain.  If the content was deemed racy they would appear after 9pm , the so-called watershed. No one died.

In fact, I'm struggling to think of a famous U.K. comedian in the 60s and seventies who didn't 'drag up' at one stage or another.

• Haha 2

Out of context edited quote removed and replies

28. You will not make changes to messages quoted from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. Do not shorten any post in a way that alters the context of the original post. Do not change the formatting of the post you are quoting.

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Innocent children? What do you think they're going to do to your children? This is sheer bigotry, nothing more. 

Homosexuality is inherited, not learned.

This has nothing to do with bigotry on my end. Nor am I saying that it teaches children to become homosexual. That is what you are thinking. This may not hurt children. I don't see how it could help them. You tell me how this would be good for children. Oh and while you're at it, do you think it's ok to put them in the back of your pick up with the dogs, or smoke in the car with them....no it's not the same is it, not for you!

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, 300sd said:

This has nothing to do with bigotry on my end. Nor am I saying that it teaches children to become homosexual. That is what you are thinking. This may not hurt children. I don't see how it could help them. You tell me how this would be good for children. Oh and while you're at it, do you think it's ok to put them in the back of your pick up with the dogs, or smoke in the car with them....no it's not the same is it, not for you!

Growing up in an environment that denies  any gender identity other than the binary heterosexual view the religious right wish to foist upon the world helps how?

There’s not a school or any classroom that doesn’t include people, staff of pupils that do not conform to the heterosexual ‘norm’ the religious right want to force on kids.

Gender and sexuality is a spectrum, educating kids to understand that is absolutely the right thing to do.

That this is even a question amongst people commenting on a Thailand, of all places, related forum is quite remarkable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1