ECONOMY Inflation rose 0.5% in January, more than expected and up 6.4% from a year ago

Scott

1,660,602 Stock Market Images, Stock Photos & Vectors ...

Inflation turned higher to start 2023, as rising shelter, gas and fuel prices took their toll on consumers, the Labor Department reported Tuesday.

The consumer price index, which measures a broad basket of common goods and services, rose 0.5% in January, which translated to an annual gain of 6.4%. Economists surveyed by Dow Jones had been looking for respective increases of 0.4% and 6.2%.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/14/consumer-price-index-january-

2023-.html

cnbc-logo - McKesson Ventures

11 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

"Nothing" Oh so you just added it for fun

I thought the graph and link put that in perspective?

"Taking the longer view, economic growth during Mr Biden's first year in office (from January 2021) was greater than under both Presidents Trump and Obama."

I didn't add anything. Just answered your question. And your so-called "perspective" does not allow for the remnants of rebound growth post Covid. Just like the 10 million jobs claim, most were revived jobs, technically (but temporarily) during the pandemic.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Just now, nauseus said:

I didn't add anything. Just answered your question. And your so-called "perspective" does not allow for the remnants of rebound growth post Covid. Just like the 10 million jobs claim, most were revived jobs, technically (but temporarily) during the pandemic.

And your so-called "perspective" does not allow for the remnants of rebound growth post Covid

It does if you read the article

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

And your so-called "perspective" does not allow for the remnants of rebound growth post Covid

It does if you read the article

The article does, Biden doesn't!

His tweet:

We have now created nearly 10 million new jobs since I took office—the fastest growth in American history.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, nauseus said:

And your perspective doesn't account for the inflationary effects of supply side shortages. 

edit: And the effects of the war in Ukraine.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Well, for one thing, the economy is growing strongly. For another, unemployment hasn't been this low since 1969.

Had the layoffs then been also so high?

As we read currently (sometimes rather not so much publicised), there are 4 digits figures from many big companies, retailing chains also closing, but the "unemployment hasn't been this low since 1969"?

Similar confusing news about the inflation - one month the highest in 40 years, another month the lowest... 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Credo said:

Well, for one thing, you can get things you need.  Under Trump, the grocery store shelves were empty.  No toilet paper to be had at any price.  The only thing that wasn't in short supply was silly tweets from the Conman-in-Chief.  

How did Americans manage to eat if there were no food on the shelfs at grocery stores for the four years Trump was POTUS...............................or are you exaggerating again ?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Credo said:

Well, for one thing, you can get things you need.  Under Trump, the grocery store shelves were empty.  No toilet paper to be had at any price.  The only thing that wasn't in short supply was silly tweets from the Conman-in-Chief.  

And then empty again under Biden nearly 2 years later. So what?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

How did Americans manage to eat if there were no food on the shelfs at grocery stores for the four years Trump was POTUS...............................or are you exaggerating again ?

Well, when all else fails, resort to trolling.  Did I say 4 years?  I think not.