British LGBT Awards: Joe Lycett, Harry Styles, Rod Stewart and Alex Scott among 2023 nominees

onthedarkside

image.png.a724a6f4ba9a5eb576900ca988051b14.png

Joe Lycett, Sir Rod Stewart, Alex Scott and Harry Styles are among the stars nominated for this year's British LGBT Awards.

Lycett made headlines ahead of the World Cup in Qatar, where homosexuality is illegal, in November, when he publicly urged David Beckham to pull out of a reported £10m deal with the host nation - threatening to destroy £10,000 of his own money should the football star fail to do so.

Stewart also spoke out against Qatar's human rights record in an interview with The Sunday Times, agreeing it "would have been good" to play his song The Killing of Georgie, about the murder of a gay man in the 1970s, at the opening ceremony as a protest.

https://news.sky.com/story/british-lgbt-awards-joe-lycett-harry-styles-rod-stewart-and-alex-scott-among-2023-nominees-12810874

image.png.8033fc895fa83122f8818dec54a3285d.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, onthedarkside said:

when he publicly urged David Beckham to pull out of a reported £10m deal with the host nation - threatening to destroy £10,000 of his own money should the football star fail to do so.

What a thread!

I guess Beckham was so scared that he declared right away that he doesn't want the 10 million anymore.

You can't make it up.

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What a thread!

I guess Beckham was so scared that he declared right away that he doesn't want the 10 million anymore.

You can't make it up.

What is he getting an award for ?

He was willing to give David Beckham 10 000 Pounds on the condition that he pulls out ?

David Beckham didn't accept the money and he didn't pull out

Joe Lycett is a comedian, and he doesn't take himself very seriously. He frequently pulls these publicity stunts to draw attention to different things. Like when he changed his name to Hugo Boss just to mess with the company after they did some dubious stuff in regard to copyright infringement.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

What is he getting an award for ?

He was willing to give David Beckham 10 000 Pounds on the condition that he pulls out ?

David Beckham didn't accept the money and he didn't pull out

It seems David Beckham knows that 10,000,000 is more money than 10,000.

Amazing.

And why does the guy who thought Beckham would take 10,000 instead or 10,000,000 get an award? For the most idiotic idea or what?

Maybe one has to be part of that LBGTQ+/- whatever group to understand all this. 

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

What channel is the 'Straight Award 2023' on, as I'd like to watch that ...

... oh wait, that would be 'homophobic' and woke cancelled.  

Along with any other 'white' or 'straight' awards.   Amazing the bigots don't see the hypocrisy of their special interest groups, crying to be all inclusive and treated equal, while demanding exclusivity for themselves.

Google 'gay' or 'black' awards or events ... the list is endless.

Then Google 'white' or 'straight' for a reality check, and then tell me who the bigots & racist are again.

Poor you, you have my sympathy.

Missing out on so much in life on account of your race, gender or sexual orientation must be tough.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Ah, yes, because just this morning I woke up and thought to myself, "You know what I want today? A big, black <deleted> in my <deleted>."

No, actually, I am happy with a cup of tea. That's enough excitement.

And I am happy with my own race, gender, and orientation. Thank you.

Each to their own.

That’s a very interesting thought you had, then wrote down and then tried to tell us you never had.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

13 hours ago, onthedarkside said:

Stewart also spoke out against Qatar's human rights record in an interview with The Sunday Times, agreeing it "would have been good" to play his song The Killing of Georgie

Excellent tune, legend singer, the great Sir Rod Stewart. It would have been fantastic to have had that played in such a repressed country as Qatar

53 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Excellent tune, legend singer, the great Sir Rod Stewart. It would have been fantastic to have had that played in such a repressed country as Qatar

Let's not forget that Stewart played Sun City during the apartheid era. However, better late than never to discover a moral compass. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, RayC said:

Let's not forget that Stewart played Sun City during the apartheid era. However, better late than never to discover a moral compass. 

Maybe Stewart is rethinking his role in the world these days, he turned down over a million for a 15 min slot in Qatar 15 months ago

Rod Stewart has been knighted?  In the 1970s he was one of those hapless celebrities always in the news for something embarrassing.  He (supposedly) shed his UK citizenship because taxes were too high; a flight he was on had to make an unplanned stop in England, where there was a warrant of on him for tax evasion and he refused to leave the plane.

And there was the time he OD'd on some recreational substance and when they pumped his stomach, supposedly found semen -- maybe that boosted his popularity.

Yeah, he and his then gf Britt Ekland was scandal sheet fodder for a few years, so all the things above may be only slightly truthy.

On 2/15/2023 at 1:20 PM, onthedarkside said:

Stewart also spoke out against Qatar's human rights record in an interview with The Sunday Times, agreeing it "would have been good" to play his song The Killing of Georgie, about the murder of a gay man in the 1970s, at the opening ceremony as a protest.

If that is all it takes to win an award at the lgbt ceremony the bar is set rather low, IMO.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1