Government Recruits Retirees for Lifelong Learning Program

snoop1130

89fdb76ff0d785dc75cc6287934b65e8_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Ministry of Education has launched a volunteer program to assist the elderly and others who need help with lifelong education and occupational training, aiming to recruit over 30,000 retirees who can contribute as educators for the betterment of society.

Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha on February 14 initiated the volunteer registration process by becoming an education volunteer himself. Education Minister Treenuch Thienthong then led a team of government officials to promote the program at Government House.

The volunteer program seeks to help address the challenges presented by Thailand’s rapidly aging society, which could become a major issue for the country. Retirees who wish to join the program can register online at www.volunteers.moe.go.th or www.moe.go.th until February 26.

According to the education minister, volunteers will be divided into two groups. One will work to support the formal education system, while the other will transfer knowledge and experience to people of all ages, helping them to learn new skills and generate income. In the program’s next phase, the ministry will join several private companies to train and support elderly people, enabling them to find suitable work.

Trinuch noted that the program represents a significant step in addressing the challenges presented by Thailand’s aging population.

Source: https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG230215120808313

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2023-02-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Ministry of Education has launched a volunteer program to assist the elderly and others who need help with lifelong education and occupational training, aiming to recruit over 30,000 retirees who can contribute as educators for the betterment of society.

I wonder if Prawit will enroll?

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

According to the education minister, volunteers will be divided into two groups. One will work to support the formal education system, while the other will transfer knowledge and experience to people of all ages, helping them to learn new skills and generate income.

Did the horse not bolt long ago? Is this not a way to dispurse the enormous education budget while maintaining the poor quality of education?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2baht said:

What? Impart foreign knowledge....oh, come on! The main thing they learn is that they were never colonised and only tolerate foreigners because they have money to spend!

Or just the main thing you imagine you've learned about what Thais learn.

Good thread to bring out our paranoia and imagined victimization. Poor us, not loved just for being our kind, lovable, hansum, pleasant selves with such respect for Thais and their culture.  

• Love It 1

27 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Or just the main thing you imagine you've learned about what Thais learn.

Good thread to bring out our paranoia and imagined victimization. Poor us, not loved just for being our kind, lovable, hansum, pleasant selves with such respect for Thais and their culture.  

Indeed, some very paranoid bashers on this thread.

Expat retirees are not welcome blah blah, poor me, poor me, pour me another. 

12 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

To keep the brainwashing going on....lifelong learning program.. Yung people new idea's and views but the eldery has to come to tell how to do things different, better, as in the old days....of course in education as the kids are the thread 

What brainwashing?

Sounds like you are not happy with your choice of pasture. 

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Expats are no-body's... worthless creatures that use up valuable Thai oxygen.

So many of my friends try to speak Thai but end up getting it all wrong. So if we all can teach English for nothing a lot more Thais can understand us.

Edited by vandeventer
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yet only Thai retirees and not Expat retirees can be used, correct?

Expat can help I guess, in their own countries. I don't see how, as a foreigner, what I could do to help these people who are so content with their illiteracy and pathological laziness. 

17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yet only Thai retirees and not Expat retirees can be used, correct?

Here is another "confused" emotican. This poster has asked a question which is easy for any educated person to understand, so why the confused emotican?

15 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Perhaps he can educate himself on democracy ????

He was educated at a Military Academy, I don't think the subject of democracy would come up there, and yet he is supposed to be leading the country.

That is what you get when you have an unelected PM.

46 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Taking jobs from the young English teachers trying to eke a living, or lowering their wages.

Please show me where the young English teachers are working to help the elderly as the OP indicates retired volunteers are needed.

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

while the other will transfer knowledge and experience to people of all ages, helping them to learn new skills and generate income. In the program’s next phase, the ministry will join several private companies to train and support elderly people, enabling them to find suitable work.

Trinuch noted that the program represents a significant step in addressing the challenges presented by Thailand’s aging population.

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Ministry of Education has launched a volunteer program to assist the elderly and others who need help with lifelong education and occupational training,

38 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

So many of my friends try to speak Thai but end up getting it all wrong. So if we all can teach English for nothing a lot more Thais can understand us.

After all it is Thailand, their own language, why not get all visitors to learn and converse in Thai whilst in the country.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Indeed, some very paranoid bashers on this thread.

Expat retirees are not welcome blah blah, poor me, poor me, pour me another. 

Come on now, how many expats have Thai citizenship, or whatever it is they call it, like you?

12 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Please show me where the young English teachers are working to help the elderly as the OP indicates retired volunteers are needed.

I quoted someone saying expat pensioners should teach them Thais English.