US authorities seeking Thai woman who fled to Bangkok after fatal hit-and-run

snoop1130

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Deputies say Kable was “in the roadway” when he was hit by the BMW, but it’s not clear if he was “standing or walking in the roadway when he was hit.” Kable was home for holiday break when he was killed, according to court documents.

I wonder if he was using a Zebra crossing and didn't know what Thais in BMW's think of pedestrians?

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

25 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

From the Yahoo article:

"Howson arrived in Thailand on Jan. 5, and police said they started to trace her on Jan. 12 at the FBI’s request, finding her on Jan. 14 in the western province of Ratchaburi, where they suggested she turn herself in."

“We did not arrest her. After she knew the facts, she showed the intention to accept the punishment in the U.S.,” he said. “This will be a good example for Thai society.”

Amazing how they can spin this as a 'good example'?

Seems consistent with what ANF posters think about Thais and their usual poor examples.

6 hours ago, Thomas KH said:

This poor young man's life cut short. Dying at 22 is just incredibly tragic. Just 1 more year and he would have graduated with an engineering degree. 

She should do the right thing. Return immediately, make reparations to his loved ones and do the time.

There goes that BMW , up for sale!

16 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

^ We understand perfectly. She was guilty and only got eight months. What you guys fail to understand is that she still ran away

Diplomatic Imunity gives one the ability to legally walk away, yes legally,  that's what you don't seem to understand. Is she quilty yes she is, but does she get the ability to flee the initial arrest and possible prosecution unlike Howson who this OP is about, yes she does, while Howson does not. Ergo why the amount of time being sentenced to is different.  Howson will be charged for the accident causing death,  possibly manslaughter, and then charged additionally for fleeing to avoid prosecution. 

Crazy I know.

Edited by ThailandRyan

Amazing how the Thai government is trying to spin this into a positive example of Thais standing up for their misdeeds.

She has been in country since January 5th. 

She avoided police who went to her home in Chonburi multiple times. 

She was captured 6 weeks after arrival on the other side of Thailand, near the Myanmar border where she was contemplating crossing the border. 

It was only after her capture that she "came to her senses".

In a news report I read (which I assume is translated from the statement she gave to the Thai police), she saw Brian and the Uber parked on the side of the road.  Then she realized she hit something and thought is was a deer.  What?  A deer?   Standing next to a human and an Uber?  Does she expect anyone to believe that?

If she gets less than 10 years, (failing to provide aid, fleeing the country, vehicular manslaughter), I will be very disappointed (but not surprised).  I hope this trial gets plenty of press in the US.

And let's not forget.  She was not arrested and she is not in the US yet...

Edited by NotReallyHere
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

May she be successfully prosecuted for the manslaughter and the additional charges,  have her US citizenship revoked and then be deported back to Thailand after serving her time.

I’m not sure the actual circumstances of the accident are clear yet. Maybe the young man was drunk out of his skull or high as a kite (6 a.m. on New Year’s Day) and ran across the street just as she was passing through, who knows? 
Of course it’s very wrong to leave the scene of the accident and then fly to Bangkok three days later, but that doesn’t automatically mean that she is guilty of manslaughter. Guilty of leaving the scene of the accident, that’s for sure. Other than that, we don’t know yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

I’m not sure the actual circumstances of the accident are clear yet. Maybe the young man was drunk out of his skull or high as a kite (6 a.m. on New Year’s Day) and ran across the street just as she was passing through, who knows? 
Of course it’s very wrong to leave the scene of the accident and then fly to Bangkok three days later, but that doesn’t automatically mean that she is guilty of manslaughter. Guilty of leaving the scene of the accident, that’s for sure. Other than that, we don’t know yet. 

There are different levels of Manslaughter. One with Gross Negligence and the other without.  Felony Hit and Run causing injury or death could go either way depending on the District Attorney’s office as far as the manslaughter charge goes.  

Edited by ThailandRyan

She appears to be a very small human, who is not emotionally equipped to take responsibility for her actions, nor the damage she causes in life. 

And in the US, fleeing from the scene of a crime is taken very seriously, unlike here. Let us hope she is extradited, and spends decades in prison. She richly deserves that. And it will be alot harder for her to buy her way out of this in the US, though not impossible if she has $5 million to throw at a legal team.

She deserves punishment not necessarily for the accident, which may or may not have been her fault. But, for the extreme cowardice of fleeing the scene, then leaving the country. Reprehensible behavior. 

Pol. Gen. Surachet said Mrs Tabthim was sorry for what had happened and police will now coordinate with the US authorities to extradite her.

Fortunately, in the US sorrow is rarely taken into account, when it comes to sentencing. I hope she is locked up for a very long time. She richly deserves this. She is a small coward. 

9 minutes ago, The Theory said:

It does not matter anymore, because she is the one who did the "hit-a-run". 

I agree she did the hit and run, which was very wrong, and she should be punished for that. Sending her to jail for decades, like one poster here advocated, seems a bit over the top for me, though. Depending on the circumstances of the accident, of course.
Like I said already, maybe the young man suddenly crossed the street and she couldn’t avoid hitting him. Or maybe she was texting or playing on her phone and not paying attention, in which case her punishment should be much more severe. Hopefully things will become clearer once she has returned to the States.