British woman, 20, left for dead in hit and run motorbike crash faces being thrown out of Thai hospital despite horrifying injuries after being hit with £40,000 medical bill

webfact

This is quote from the injured Ms. Spry's father:

Joe wanted to warn others travelling to places like Thailand or event America to check they have the right paperwork in place before going. He added:

"There must be tens of thousands of people who go to Thailand every year and hire these motorbikes thinking it's oK as everyone has them. You see young kids drive them so people think it'll be OK too, but, if you do not have a motorbike driving licence or the right travel insurance in place for things like this, they won't pay up if anything happens to you."

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/dad-injured-cornish-woman-thailand-8152154

Edited by jerrymahoney

11 hours ago, Blumpie said:

Why are they dragging their heels paying this out?  Is it because she doesn't have a motorcycle license, an international drives licence, and is therefore breaking the law and the insurance company will not pay at all?  That sounds more likely.

Do I know for sure?  No.  

We know for sure because a British newspaper quoted her father as saying that this was the case.

On 2/17/2023 at 2:54 AM, webfact said:

Motorbike crash faces being thrown out of Thai hospital despite horrifying injuries

I don't know what the fuss is about, if she was legal 3rd party insurance (CTP) will cover the costs.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Cricky said:

I don't know what the fuss is about, if she was legal 3rd party insurance (CTP) will cover the costs.

1. What do you mean with "if she is legal"?

2. What third party insurance, the one of the motorcycle driven by Ruby Spry or the one of the motorcycle that collided with her?

1 hour ago, Puccini said:

2. What third party insurance, the one of the motorcycle driven by Ruby Spry or the one of the motorcycle that collided with her?

I'm not here to answer members questions but I will add, you'll probably find she was riding the bike illegally, that's why the gofundme has started.

• Haha 1

On 2/20/2023 at 9:16 AM, jerrymahoney said:

Well then, my apologies. You mean SOME claims do get paid?  One might have a hard time realizing that after reading some of these topics.

whilst my recent claim was denied my previous claim in 2016 was approved.

its a mixed bag !!

10 hours ago, Ralf001 said:
On 2/20/2023 at 9:16 AM, jerrymahoney said:

Well then, my apologies. You mean SOME claims do get paid?  One might have a hard time realizing that after reading some of these topics.

whilst my recent claim was denied my previous claim in 2016 was approved.

its a mixed bag !!

Sure but it's like the old newspaper saw:

It isn't news when the plane lands safely.

There will be plenty of people who point out the lack of insurance, shouldn't have been riding an M/C etc. etc but they miss the elephant in the room - the total lack of ethics in the Thai heath industry..

Ironically many of those who blame the girl for her predicament are already victims of the same system - but they as yet are unaware of it.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

As per Ms. Spry's father:

Since her accident on February 9, Ruby has had issues with her travel insurance who have refused to pay for her treatment first in the nearest hospital to her crash then at a state-funded hospital on Ko Samui. 

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/dad-injured-cornish-woman-thailand-8152154

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

As per Ms. Spry's father:

Since her accident on February 9, Ruby has had issues with her travel insurance who have refused to pay for her treatment first in the nearest hospital to her crash then at a state-funded hospital on Ko Samui. 

I don't think govt hospitals accept insurance claims. Maybe can pay first and claim back

35 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I don't think govt hospitals accept insurance claims. Maybe can pay first and claim back

Maybe it is the other way around:

Some insurers will not pay direct to government hospitals. One pays the hospital first, then is reimbursed by the insurer. That presumes the insurer agrees to reimburse at all.

Edited by jerrymahoney

5 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

Maybe it is the other way around:

Some insurers will not pay direct to government hospitals. One pays the hospital first, then is reimbursed by the insurer. That presumes the insurer agrees to reimburse at all.

Some private hospitals also don't accept insurance claims often unless specific insurers are used. Do you know any government hospitals that accept payment by insurers?

25 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Some private hospitals also don't accept insurance claims often unless specific insurers are used. Do you know any government hospitals that accept payment by insurers?

No. I have never dealt with a government hospital. I think it is mostly the other way around: Insurers will only work direct pay with hospitals that the have previously approved 

Indeed that was the main impetus to my leaving CIGNA Global -- because I was moving to an area where they had no approved direct pay private hospitals. The procedure for dealing with a not previously approved direct pay private hospital was onerous.

I once tried to see if CIGNA Global would work direct pay with KhonKaen Ram hospital who was unapproved at the time while the main Ramkhamhaeng hospital in Bangkok was approved. Sorry -- Could not be done.

That is my personal experience. Not 'I reckon'.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

I have never dealt with a government hospital. I think it is mostly the other way around: Insurers will only work direct pay with hospitals that the have previously approved 

They don't deal with insurers, also insurers don't deal with them if you prefer it that way round

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

They don't deal with insurers, also insurers don't deal with them if you prefer it that way round

As I said, I have never had any dealings with a government hospital. I suspect that it heavily leans toward the insurers not wanting to deal with government hospital accounting departments than the other way around.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Neeranam said:

What lack of ethics?

Do you expect Thai hospitals to give free treatment to uninsured foreigners?

No more than I would expect UK hospitals to give free treatment to uninsured foreigners in the UK.

23 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

No more than I would expect UK hospitals to give free treatment to uninsured foreigners in the UK.

Guidance
How charges for NHS healthcare apply to overseas visitors
Updated 31 December 2020

Within England, free NHS hospital treatment is provided on the basis of someone being ‘ordinarily resident' (first sentence)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-the-nhs-charges-overseas-visitors-for-nhs-hospital-care/how-the-nhs-charges-overseas-visitors-for-nhs-hospital-care

Edited by jerrymahoney

17 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I can confirm that, it happened to me, thankfully the bill was just 1,500 baht. If you have insurance then always make sure you are taken to a private hospital.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/21/2023 at 9:10 AM, Puccini said:

any motorcycle with a tax paid on it will have basic emergency cover, after tht you're on your own. I'm sorry but if hospitals don't think you cn pay they will minimise treatment, and if funds don't come, you'll just slip away.