British woman, 20, left for dead in hit and run motorbike crash faces being thrown out of Thai hospital despite horrifying injuries after being hit with £40,000 medical bill

webfact

13 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
On 2/17/2023 at 8:47 AM, Tubulat said:

I mean, they always find a way to avoid paying out.

Yet another poster who knows nothing at all about the successful claims' records of UK insurers.

In USofA we call that 'hyperbole' but in UK, I have now learned, it can just be referred to as "I reckon".

• Confused 1

On 2/17/2023 at 9:58 AM, Smokey and the Bandit said:

Whilst I am sure you are correct, if they can wriggle out of paying they will?

Insurance companies like private hospitals in Thailand are there to make a profit?

And if they didn't pay as many claims a Thaivisa posters (wrongly) assert they wouldn't make any profit at all because no one would buy the policies and, consequently, there would not be an insurance industry.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 10:08 AM, Skeptic7 said:

Should have prefaced my post with, "If true...".

That said, have been here long enough (quarter century) to know that there is no limit nor bounds to this country's ignorance, greed, xenophobic loathing, insulting & fleecing when it comes to foreigners. 

"...there is no limit nor bounds to this country's ignorance, greed, xenophobic loathing, insulting & fleecing when it comes to foreigners". 

You should have prefaced that comment with "if true" also.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:
38 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
On 2/17/2023 at 8:47 AM, Tubulat said:

I mean, they always find a way to avoid paying out.

Yet another poster who knows nothing at all about the successful claims' records of UK insurers.

In USofA we call that 'hyperbole' but in UK, I have now learned, it can just be referred to as "I reckon".

What, specifically, in my comment are you saying can only be referred to as "I reckon"?  

On 2/17/2023 at 5:33 AM, ukrules said:

Normally you would expect the other drivers insurance to pay out third party injuries.

However in Thailand it seems to be very normal for the 'other party' to simply do a runner - at which point the liability for treatment seems to transfer from the person who caused the accident to the victim of the accident 

This is a major flaw in the way things are done in this dump.

Liability for treatment transfers to gofundme doesn't it ?

?

5 hours ago, Hummin said:

Then you have to look more closely in to the reasons why most get killed. Most of the accidents could have been avoided with a proper motorbike school training, and licensing.  

How do you control what the other idiots are doing? This woman had somebody smash into her and drive off, many accidents cannot be avoided by training.

• Like 2

I'm not going to count.  I'm just wondering how many AN posters wrote:  "See what happens when you don't have insurance!!!  Ha Ha Ha - Another grift to get money from GoFundMe!!!  Losers!!!"

But?  She had insurance.  Think about that.  - Why don't insurance companies pay out?

Insurance is the ultimate scam that is backed by the "pubic-private partnerships" between governments and corporations as the expense of the public.

Government:  "Everyone needs insurance."
Insurance: "But we're not going to pay out."

Edited by connda
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, connda said:

Why don't insurance companies pay out

In the main because the insured person has not adhered to the "clauses and conditions/exclusions" included in the policy, most of the time because they have not read it fully.

It really is that simple.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, proton said:

How do you control what the other idiots are doing? This woman had somebody smash into her and drive off, many accidents cannot be avoided by training.

Hard to explainif you are not a motorcycle rider your self, but give it a try.

It is how you see room for your self by position, make your self big and visual, and learn to read the traffic. Never box your self in between wericles especially big trucks, and use your mirrors active not only every now and then.

You would be surprised how predictable thai traffic really is after a few days out doing active riding, and not passive like most inexperienced riders do. 

Most who is riding motorbikes should never been out there in first place, and unfortunate many truck snd cars to, but it is what it is and we just have to deal with, or sell the bikes ????

On 2/17/2023 at 8:14 AM, billd766 said:

IMHO the travel insurers should put in large text on the first page, that if you indulge in motorcycling, hang gliding etc, or other dangerous sports, that an extra and more expensive insurance will be required. Without the extra cover you are NOT insured if you take part in those activities.

This definitely should be done , clearly and in vue. Why are they putting it in fine print anyway ? Make proper insurance an obligation for all tourists for the time period spent away. There have been the 2 girls lately, and one more a month back , plus 2 hit and runs on Thepprasit/ Thapraya in around 10 days, and another on 2 nd road in center .it’s not always the tourists fault, but everyone should be warned . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Now I am not British but my travel insurance does no cover riding a motor bike even take out premium cover

What are some common travel insurance exclusions?

Travel insurance policies will not cover you for everything that happens to you while you’re on a trip, and in some cases, you’ll need to take out specific kinds of cover above and beyond standard travel insurance in order to be covered.

Some common travel insurance exclusions are:

• Costs or cancellations that arise from a pandemic or an epidemic (such as COVID-19)
  • Skiing or other snow activities (typically, you’ll need snow cover for that)
  • Dangerous activities (‘hazardous pursuits’) such as such as scuba diving or bungee jumping (some insurers may cover this automatically, but it’s possible you may need to pay extra or buy a separate adventure travel policy)
  • High-value belongings (unless you tell your insurer about them)
  • Risky or irresponsible behaviour on your part, including behaviour while under the influence of alcohol
  • Pre-existing medical conditions that you didn’t tell your insurer about when applying for insurance
  • Intentional illegal behaviour, or breaking local laws and regulations more generally
  • Lost items where you left your belongings unattended
  • Driving a motorbike overseas (you may be able to obtain cover in some cases if you have a motorbike licence and are driving a low-power vehicle – check with your insurer)
  • Acts of war
  • Driving a motorbike overseas (you may be able to obtain cover in some cases if you have a motorbike licence and are driving a low-power vehicle – check with your insurer)
Edited by still kicking
  • Like 2

This is from the UK.GOV report Safety & Security in Thailand -- ROAD TRAVEL:

Motorcycles or scooters for hire in beach resorts are often unregistered and can’t be used legally on a public road. Before you hire a vehicle, make sure you’re covered by your travel insurance and check the small print of the lease agreement. Don’t hand over your passport as a guarantee against returning a motorcycle or scooter.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/safety-and-security

Note: It says to check the small print on your vehicle lease agreement. It doesn't say to check the small print on your travel insurance.

Edited by jerrymahoney

10 hours ago, Umlungu said:

I wonder if the cave rescue team - led by foreign experts - of the Thai boy footballers a few years ago also first asked for payment, a deposit or a credit card when they discovered and swam up tothe stranded boys a few kilometers inside the cave system. This is in response to a comment here - and I had exactly the same experience - where a hospital asked for payment first before even administering some pain relief treatment. This is just disgusting behaviour by a medical institution toward injured or pain-stricken persons approaching them for help. 

Pattaya private hospital I recently stayed in ICU for a few days.

Bout 5 mins after being place on a gurney in ER I  had an admin lady come round asking for a 50k deposit.

This is before any diagnostic work was done.