British woman, 20, left for dead in hit and run motorbike crash faces being thrown out of Thai hospital despite horrifying injuries after being hit with £40,000 medical bill

webfact

21 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Pattaya private hospital I recently stayed in ICU for a few days.

Bout 5 mins after being place on a gurney in ER I  had an admin lady come round asking for a 50k deposit.

This is before any diagnostic work was done.

You didn't just hand her your self-insurance card?

Edited by jerrymahoney

3 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I don't have a self insurance card.

Gravely ill and not wanting to wait for health insurance to approve funding I gave her my credit card.

OK. I jumped too soon on  that one. Hopefully when the insurance came through your deposit was refunded.

Edited by jerrymahoney

9 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

The insurance declined, But it is 50k less that I have to re-pay for my stay there !!

Well I am sorry to hear that.

I guess I am just a Pollyanna on here. I have had 3 major surgeries in my 20 years in Thailand. None were life threatening. All were covered by insurance.

Edited by jerrymahoney

Such a tragic tale. 

She should not have been on a motorbike. 

After reading this story, I am considering investing in accident insurance. 

I have had ZERO insurance of any kind, since 1979. 

So far, so good. 

I suppose my choice to not have insurance might be considered risky behavior. 

But I don't ride bicycles or motorbikes, which is in my favor. 

After reading this story, I am now toying with the idea of paying for some type of MEDIVAC coverage. 

Except, when I really consider it, I truly believe I might be better off just carrying around some sort of L-pill, wherever I go. 

In 1979, I did have a Medivac policy which would airlift me back to my home country. But, the cost is now quite high, I think. And, anyway, at my age, I'd probably be dead by the time the Gulfstream 650 got halfway over the Pacific, flying at 51000 feet and Mach 0.95. 

I've always wanted to take a ride on a Gulfstream G800+. 

Anyway, life is cheap, these days, and getting cheaper. 

At my age, my life is cheaper than most. 

Still, next week, I plan to check out some premium, golden parachute, accident insurance. 

I just hope I won't be too late. 

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Such a tragic tale. 

She should not have been on a motorbike. 

After reading this story, I am considering investing in accident insurance. 

I have had ZERO insurance of any kind, since 1979. 

So far, so good. 

I suppose my choice to not have insurance might be considered risky behavior. 

But I don't ride bicycles or motorbikes, which is in my favor. 

After reading this story, I am now toying with the idea of paying for some type of MEDIVAC coverage. 

Except, when I really consider it, I truly believe I might be better off just carrying around some sort of L-pill, wherever I go. 

In 1979, I did have a Medivac policy which would airlift me back to my home country. But, the cost is now quite high, I think. And, anyway, at my age, I'd probably be dead by the time the Citation 51a got halfway over the Pacific. 

I've always wanted to take a ride on a Gulfstream G800+. 

Anyway, life is cheap, these days, and getting cheaper. 

At my age, my life is cheaper than most. 

Still, next week, I plan to check out some premium, golden parachute, accident insurance. 

I just hope I won't be too late. 

Life might be cheap, but I can guarantee medical/health insurance will not be. I too went for years with no cover. No problem. But there comes a time, like you say. But be wary of personal accident cover alone. Sure, it won't cost you an arm and a leg financially, but there again it might, quite literally, do just that. In my experience the cover for medical expenses with personal accident insurance is paltry.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Life might be cheap, but I can guarantee medical/health insurance will not be. I too went for years with no cover. No problem. But there comes a time, like you say. But be wary of personal accident cover alone. Sure, it won't cost you an arm and a leg financially, but there again it might, quite literally, do just that. In my experience the cover for medical expenses with personal accident insurance is paltry.

I will investigate further. 

My sole concern is sudden catastrophic injury due to accident. I.e, anything that would cost more than USD15,000 to repair. 

Anything less than that amount, then small potatoes, and no need for insurance, really... 

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, actonion said:

Today reports are saying this new  tourist tax is to also help businesses, Thais are worried it will help big businesses, and not the small  ones..!! 

Looking at this in a small scale way, taking 300 baht spending money off all tourists is unlikely to help  their small businesses. 

16 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...there is no limit nor bounds to this country's ignorance, greed, xenophobic loathing, insulting & fleecing when it comes to foreigners". 

You should have prefaced that comment with "if true" also.

You should not pretend to be privy to others' experiences. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Others claimed "experiences" that are clearly inaccurate when applied to the country as a whole should not be generalised as facts.

Sometimes Im wondering what planet someone coming from when experience Thailand as exploiting them! 

Nosetip philosophers 

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You're right, your going on about non-existent insurance policy "small print" is getting tediously yawn-inducing.

Claiming small print, is because people do not ask questions neither read the policy! 

When I change insurance company, I ask all important questions, and get the answers printed and highlighted in the policy, and If I do not understand, I ask again. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hummin said:

Claiming small print, is because people do not ask questions neither read the policy! 

When I change insurance company, I ask all important questions, and get the answers printed and highlighted in the policy, and If I do not understand, I ask again. 

In my experience (I’ll admit I haven’t bought UK based travel insurance in > 15 years)  it very clearly states that you should check the UK Gov FCO site (https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice) for travel advice before travelling & the “Safety & Security” section I quoted on page 1 should be the 1st section that people check… No small print involved in that at all. 

However, 1 thing worth highlighting that could well be buried in the small print is your Travel insurance will not cover you for anything > 125cc irrespective of what licenses you hold so if you were to rent something like a Yamaha Aerox (155cc) you need separate motorbike insurance even if you’re licensed to ride big bikes at home. 

5 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

In my experience (I’ll admit I haven’t bought UK based travel insurance in > 15 years)  it very clearly states that you should check the UK Gov FCO site (https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice) for travel advice before travelling & the “Safety & Security” section I quoted on page 1 should be the 1st section that people check… No small print involved in that at all. 

However, 1 thing worth highlighting that could well be buried in the small print is your Travel insurance will not cover you for anything > 125cc irrespective of what licenses you hold so if you were to rent something like a Yamaha Aerox (155cc) you need separate motorbike insurance even if you’re licensed to ride big bikes at home. 

That's why I ask if their insurance is valid if I'm training Thai boxing, paragliding and big bike riding, diving and free diving. I also read the entire policy. 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Hummin said:

But you're an experienced old guy that's travelled all over the world, and not a 20yo woman with no previous life experiences.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

But you're an experienced old guy that's travelled all over the world, and not a 20yo woman with no previous life experiences.

Parental mistakes in a crucial world, or just pure stupidity and seems like it is accepted to be young and excluded from responsibility. I have done stupid lethal things in my life, but I would for sure and accept the outcome if something happend, and I for sure would know if I was going to do something stupid. I continue to do stupid things like riding bikes in Thailand, but as said, I know, and I accept the risk, as well trying to minimize the outcome if something goes wrong. 

Everybody knows if you take drugs on Koh Phangan, especially uk kids, what can happen, because many documentaries and news during the years have shown kids in trouble, especially from UK. Same with motorbike accidents! Why do people still do it? Because everybody else doing it! 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

It's because experience is something you need to gain for yourself, other people telling you doesn't work.

Maybe thats why every young lady should have a older sugardaddy to protect and teach them right? 

Unfortunate for this 20 year it is a costly and painful experience, but truth is, every basejumper friend who died, did teach me something, and maybe saved my life later on. So is her experience going to teach many young ladies to not drive motorbike in Thailand or at any holiday 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/17/2023 at 5:33 AM, ukrules said:

Normally you would expect the other drivers insurance to pay out third party injuries.

However in Thailand it seems to be very normal for the 'other party' to simply do a runner - at which point the liability for treatment seems to transfer from the person who caused the accident to the victim of the accident.

This is a major flaw in the way things are done in this dump.

Can be difficult to prove who caused the accident unless there is clear CCTV footage. A similar thing happened to me, a bike collided with me head on, but who was in the wrong? Luckily only minor injuries.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/17/2023 at 8:37 AM, BritManToo said:

The Thais get treated in hospitals that aren't ripping them off.

These are the same hospitals that make you look like Frankenstein when you're put back together.

I went to one of these hospitals with a pretty nasty hand wound ( needed 26 stitches ), when i pulled of the towel i had covering the wound i was told to go to another hospital.

4 days in Bkk / KK hospital 160K, hardly see the scar, when i went to A & E there i was in surgery within an hour, this was at 2300!

• Love It 1

Here`s an interesting thought re. travel insurance - if the insurance co . find out you have a medical condition ( nothing serious ) that you did not disclose when taking out the policy , could they refuse to pay a claim , even if the medical condition had nothing to do with the claim ? 

47 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It's because experience is something you need to gain for yourself, other people telling you doesn't work.

So they're told or read about other, uninsured tourists enduring pain, injury and financial loss as a result of doing something that's risky and not covered by insurance and then go ahead and do it as well just to gain life experience?

Sounds more like extreme Darwinism.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

"Small print" is an idiom.

Not sure why you have your panties in such a twist over this.

While you are right about "small print" being an idiom, some people use the term to suggest that the insurer employs it to be able to build exceptions into a policy that it hopes the casual policy holder will fail to notice.

1 hour ago, persimmon said:

Here`s an interesting thought re. travel insurance - if the insurance co . find out you have a medical condition ( nothing serious ) that you did not disclose when taking out the policy , could they refuse to pay a claim , even if the medical condition had nothing to do with the claim ? 

Is there any travel insurance who require your statement about your medical condition? 

Edited by Hummin