Critics reject changes to Roald Dahl books as censorship

onthedarkside

13 minutes ago, puchooay said:

I asked you a question.

As usual, you sidestepped that question as you knew the answers would contradict what you wrote.

Never mind. Ho hum.????????

You asked me to explain changes that I am not responsible for (nor for that matter have commented upon) after I pointed out who was behind the changes.

A deflection to be exact as your question had absolutely no connection to the point I made.

So saying an answer to your unrelated question would contradict anything I said is somewhat misleading on your part. 

But ho hum, what’s new about that... 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Would Dahl agree to his stories being mutilated by PC warriors?

Apparently, he didn't leave any instructions in his will that would stipulate they could not be altered.  Some authors and musicians do.  The entire estate was bought by Netflix. 

The streaming giant bought the entirety of the Roald Dahl Story Company from the late author's estate, giving it control over the his books, as well as future adaptations of characters from titles including Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Matilda and The BFG.

Edited by Credo
  • Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 8:57 AM, Credo said:

Apparently, he didn't leave any instructions in his will that would stipulate they could not be altered.

A decision which he is probably now coming to regret as he spins in his grave.

• Thanks 1

On 2/22/2023 at 4:03 PM, puchooay said:

OK. If that is true, please explain why the words edited were chosen. Two examples to start with; "fat" and "ugly".

It is quite clear they have been edited as to not offend certain groups. What groups of people tend to get most offended? The woke community. Simple.

My children are too old now for such stories. Should I, in the future, have grandchildren I will be reading them the original versions. I will use them as teaching aids with regards to certain words and how they should and shouldn't be used. Calling someone "fat" or "ugly" in anger or in order to get a reaction is totally different to an author using they to correctly describe someone in a book and should be kept that way. 

What is the woke community?

Looks like these changes are done by the people in charge of it, being the publishing house and the estate. Personally I think it's nonsense, but most likely it's being done to help sales, now or in the future.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stevenl said:

What is the woke community?

Looks like these changes are done by the people in charge of it, being the publishing house and the estate. Personally I think it's nonsense, but most likely it's being done to help sales, now or in the future.

Get yourself a dictionary. Look up "woke" and then look up "community". That should give you the answer.

I too think the changes are nonsense, I hope it back fires on them. Next thing we know Oliver Twist will be "financially challenged". Fagin was ugly. 555

15 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Get yourself a dictionary. Look up "woke" and then look up "community". That should give you the answer.

I too think the changes are nonsense, I hope it back fires on them. Next thing we know Oliver Twist will be "financially challenged". Fagin was ugly. 555

Since you can't answer the question and seem to agree about the source it's clear your statement was incorrect.

Glad we agree these changes are nonsense but a hyperbole like yours doesn't enhance your argument.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Since you can't answer the question and seem to agree about the source it's clear your statement was incorrect.

Glad we agree these changes are nonsense but a hyperbole like yours doesn't enhance your argument.

Not incorrect at all. I was pointing you in the direction if a substantiated answer, as that seems to be what people need on here.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

A win for the good guys at last.

From the linked article

Puffin said the release of The Roald Dahl Classic Collection, featuring original versions of his children's books, was in order to "keep the texts in print".

Trying to weasle their way out of admitting they were wrong!

Good result, and it shows that we ain't all gone woke yet.

Not wrong at all.

Critics of the revisions can put their money were their angst is an buy the ‘classic version’.

Always assuming they ever actually read books, either now in the present, plant to in the future or ever did in the past.

• Haha 1

On 2/24/2023 at 4:40 PM, James105 said:

Apparently one of the changes was to call the fat guy 'enormous' instead of 'fat' in the chocolate factory book.   Do fatties prefer to be referred to as enormous rather than fat nowadays?  I wasn't aware of this, but will make the effort to use enormous in future when commenting on an enormous persons weight even though this sounds more offensive than the original term...

Big boned?

On 2/22/2023 at 3:22 PM, Bluespunk said:

Nonetheless it is not some imaginary woke pc cancel culture (itself a right wing mythical bogeyman) attempt to change the wording of frankly dated literature but a commercial decision taken by those who profit from dahl’s writings. 

The commercial decision was taken because cancel culture would have got around to Dahl eventually. This is merely an attempt to avoid being the victim of cancel culture.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pedro01 said:

The commercial decision was taken because cancel culture would have got around to Dahl eventually. This is merely an attempt to avoid being the victim of cancel culture.

Nope. No evidence for that at all. Just conspiracy theory nonsense.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Nope. No evidence for that at all. Just conspiracy theory nonsense.

Plenty of evidence if you care to view with an open mind, witness what is going on around you and acknowledge not everything in life needs a link to be proven.

Try walking the road of life more towards the middle. It is far more enlightening 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, pedro01 said:

Nothing to do with Roald dahl and no he didn't. Anyone is free to print his cartoons and equally free not to do so. Enough with cancel culture bogeyman myth conspiracy theory BS.

2 hours ago, puchooay said:

Plenty of evidence if you care to view with an open mind, witness what is going on around you and acknowledge not everything in life needs a link to be proven.

Try walking the road of life more towards the middle. It is far more enlightening 

Please post links to this plentiful evidence there is a campaign ongoing to change the wording of roald dahls writings.

15 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Please post links to this plentiful evidence there is a campaign ongoing to change the wording of roald dahls writings.

Like I said.

Those with the ability to digest and consider the meanings of what they have read and learnt,l don't need to be given links to nurse them to the evidence.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Big boned?

We in the "challenged by gravity" community prefer the phrase "person of size". 

I still remember being referred to as "husky" as a young lad. The wounds linger to this day...  things are better though. My two local department stores have "plus size" sections called Mighty Lord and Greatess.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, puchooay said:

Like I said.

Those with the ability to digest and consider the meanings of what they have read and learnt,l don't need to be given links to nurse them to the evidence.

So as I thought, no evidence at all that there is any campaign to change roald dahl’s writings, just conspiracy theory cancel culture mythology bogeymen.