Wanna make some money? Public get 50% of fines for snaps of illegally reserved parking

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Siam Rath

Siam Rath asked the Thai public in their headline if they were aware that putting out signs - or anything else for that matter - to reserve parking on public highways was illegal.

The practice of putting out barriers, chairs or other objects is standard practice of many businesses or even house owners in Thailand.

Yesterday the central investigation branch of the RTP posted online about the illegal practice.

It breaks a 1992 law regarding cleanliness and orderliness.

Fines can vary but in certain places in Bangkok and Pattaya can be as high as 10,000 baht.

Other fines in other areas can be 500 baht or 5,000 baht.

Either way, members of the public who inform the authorities with still photos documenting the activity can get 50% of fines, said the police.

So how about it - would you do that to generate some extra income?

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-02-21

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, watchcat said:

I'll leave it to the RTP. Is this not why they have a salary?

I guess you could term it as a salary, but if it matched the job description of a normal police force there'd be no corruption to top up the salary.

Wanna make some money? Public get 50% of fines for snaps of illegally reserved parking

RTP wants the public to do their policing for them, so they can stay at the station, or bistro, or café in air-conditioning without patrolling the streets, and still make 50% of fines for doing no work.

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Don't think it was a huge success for reporting fires.

Retaliation seems to be a concern for this sort of tactic.

I don't see this problem if you take pictures and report the problem. Retaliation is an issue if you park a car there without the consent of the person blocking the public space. But it even goes so far that such people charge you for parking - this has happened several times in Pattaya.  The police cannot be everywhere. So good when the public supports them.

15 hours ago, newnative said:

We can add this to the programs for reporting motorcycles on foot paths, polluting vehicles, noisy motorcycles, etc.--all totally ineffective and should be handled by the proper government agencies, not the public.

dont care if theres no cash in it..

5 minutes ago, mikebell said:

There's a dearth of parking spots in Pattaya thanks to stools on the road; I'm not talking about the dog stools that disfigure every soi in the land.

Some are quite sophisticated, I saw one guy get a cone from the back of his truck... they sell them at Homepro!

On 2/21/2023 at 11:26 AM, webfact said:

Wanna make some money? Public get 50% of fines for snaps of illegally reserved parking.

Fines can vary but in certain places in Bangkok and Pattaya can be as high as 10,000 baht.

You are encouraging bad behavior from our members with posting this article.

I can't wait to see how many elderly foreigners here in Pattaya that get their heads blown off by some angry shop vendor with his loaded gun. All these foreigners in town with mental health issues, starting to rant over the signage displayed road side.

We don't need these poorly worded articles.

I'm fed up and embarrassed by some of the foreigners and their disrespectful, angry, nasty attitude towards Thai's here in Pattaya.
Leave this issue for the Thai's to sort out.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, one takes chances parking in 'someone's spot' here.......

Yes, but something must be done. There were even idiots who would charge people to park at the Bali Hai Pier or in a small parking lot near the entrance to the Walking Street.

I remember when I was living near San Francisco more than 30 years ago. In some areas in San Francisco next to nightlife venues you had to pay some private individuals to protect your car when parking. And you parked the car on a public space. If you did not pay... In the end the same. Is it still like this?

Edited by Mickeymaus

I'd love to do this as there are loads of motorcycles taxis and minivans and illegal bus stations ion my town....where the business owners close down the road.

But isn't this 'working'? Won't the immigration department come crashing down and deport you for working without a visa? Don't risk it peoples.

• Sad 1

Wow, snitch culture. How sad.  The world is going to hades in a hand basket.  Do people think it will be limited only to parking?

Why not every aspect of life?  Just put a bounty on each other and we can all have at this depopulation thing.. shall we?

Edited by Cult of the Sun