Thailand votes for Peace in Europe

webfact

The fuller resolution as from the article:

"The resolution encourages all sides to the conflict to devise plans for bringing about peace. It called an immediate end to hostilities and requested that Russia “immediately, completely and unconditionally withdraw all of its military forces from the territory.”

"The resolution urged members and international organizations to step up efforts to combat war crimes"

Peace can only be achieved when Russia “immediately, completely and unconditionally withdraw all of its military forces from the territory"

Yes I know that's not happening anytime soon but Thailand has also signed up for that officially. Unofficially...........?

• Thanks 1

What kind of absolute morons do this?????????????????????

I remember during the Holocaust the UN had a 2-year meeting........ Vote if genocide is bad.   I vote bad.   OK, great.   Next meeting next month .... same topic!!!!    

How can I get this dumb job, I'm sure it pays well.      Mr. Farang, do you vote for peace?   Yes.  Thank you for your support!!!

Welcome!!!!  (one of the most incorrectly used words in LOS).

Next week we will ask if you vote for Happiness.    Great, send me my check!!!!  

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 3

All this is mostly for show, but I find interesting what Orban is reported as having said: that Russia at this point can't win, but as a political matter Putin can't afford to lose, so what's left is to turn Ukraine into a wasteland and then depart. 

Further, I know Russia is a (very) bad actor, but I still think the EU could have handled their side of it all better before the invasion started. Unless of course, they wanted it to happen; but incompetence may be a better explanation.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

However, seven countries—Belarus, North Korea, Eritrea, Mali, Nicaragua, Russia, and Syria—opposed the resolution.

32 countries, including China, India, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Vietnam, and Laos, chose to abstain.

Half of the world population or close to it.

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The resolution encourages all sides to the conflict to devise plans for bringing about peace. 

Well, Putin's plans for war haven't worked out at all, so I doubt he is capable to come up with any viable peace plans. Or any plans at all that require thinking. :passifier:

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Thailand votes for peace where a portion of a sovereign nation has been occupied by a neighbor since 2014? Look at thy self Thailand in seeking Peace as an unrepentant aggressor of similar circumstance.

Your UN vote for peace is hypocrisy.

Which of the other options would have been a better choice for Thailand ?

• Like 2

forgive my lack of knowledge on this matter but can somebody explain what exactly means "Abstain" , I can't figure it out, if one doesn't or decline to vote that means they are against the vote

as an example :   He took a vow to abstain from alcohol/smoking/sex. in other words, he will Not do any of the mention things, thus he's "against" such things, therefore Not neutral

abstain
/əbˈsteɪn/

verb

• 1. restrain oneself from doing or enjoying something: "the terms stipulate that he must abstain from consumption of alcohol and controlled substances"
  • 2. formally decline to vote either for or against a proposal or motion:

abstain verb [I] (NOT DO)

to not do something, especially something enjoyable that you think might be bad:
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Given that the intention of the resolution was to send a message to Russia that their aggression is not acceptable - the 'toning down' seems to have worked in Thailand's case.

A previous vote that was more critical of Russia resulted in more abstentions - mainly from countries that wanted to buy cheap oil from Putin. Thailand had been cosying up to Putin at that time and for exactly that reason - they abstained.

Time for the European Union and mainly the USA to wake up and realise that the world goes beyond the borders of US Mexico or beyond Schengen, Sending arms and military logistics to Ukraine will never stop the war that is killing innocent people on all sides. But considering the stakes and the billions that a war generates in profits to to either Shell, Total or Lockheed Martin, will the madness stop ?

One can only be thankful that the UN has other countries who are highly responsable and call for the madness to stop throught diplomacy and negociation with perhaps a bit of compromise from each side.

• Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1