Do You Need An Athentication Letter From The British Embassy When You Get A New Passport?

Dear All,

The last time I got a new passport I went to the passport office in Liverpool to collect it in person.

I remember that I had to go to the British embassy in BKK on my return to get a letter stating that the passport was genuine which I had to present at the Immigration Office to get my visa and stamps transferred to the new passport.

Please can someone tell me if that is still the case?

Many thanks in advance.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

If you get the new passport when you are in the UK and show the current visa in the old passport at immigration when you come back in, they will stamp the new passport, and you don't need the letter when you transfer your visa over. (At least, that's how it worked for me a couple of months ago.)

If you apply from here, you will get the letter automatically anyway.

Thanks for that.

Maybe it was just something they did a few years ago?

You can apply to UK embassy for a letter requesting the transfer.

https://www.contact-embassy.service.gov.uk/Enquiry/?enquirytext=Transfer of Stamps to new Passport&country=Thailand&post=British Embassy Bangkok

Be prepared for a long wait and two or three irrelevant replies, it took me three messages and 5 weeks before I finally penetrated their brains.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Maybole said:

https://www.contact-embassy.service.gov.uk/Enquiry/?enquirytext=Transfer of Stamps to new Passport&country=Thailand&post=British Embassy Bangkok

Be prepared for a long wait and two or three irrelevant replies, it took me three messages and 5 weeks before I finally penetrated their brains.

Now I am confused.

Some people say you don't need a letter...Others think you do.

6 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

You are overthinking this.

If you renew from here, you need the letter, and you will automatically be given a copy.

If you renew in the UK, and then come back into Thailand, you don't need the letter. 

If you have someone else apply for you in the UK and bring/send your passport back here, so it doesn't have a stamp in it, you need to request the letter. (Technically, you are not allowed to do this, but people do.)

But if you got a new passport in the UK and you are going to keep worrying about it, just ask for a letter.

Thank you for your answer.

Before Covid I travelled to the UK every year.

I will get the new passport when I am in the UK next time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Troy Tempest said:

Thank you for your answer.

Before Covid I travelled to the UK every year.

I will get the new passport when I am in the UK next time.

Then you won't need the Embassy letter to transfer your Extension stamps. It's only required when you receive a new passport in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

I recently renewed my passport and asked for the consular letter to present to Immigration for the transfer of my 1 year extension stamps.

It was not offered by the person dealing with my passport collection.

Duly arrived at my IO and all done in about 30minutes.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/25/2023 at 12:57 PM, samtam said:

If you apply in Thailand the VFS application office provide a British Embassy letter for IMM to allow you to transfer stamps from old passport to new.

I never received such a letter from Trendy House, the visa transfer wasn't a problem, took 20 minutes at Surin IO 8 years ago.

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

I never received such a letter from Trendy House, the visa transfer wasn't a problem, took 20 minutes at Surin IO 8 years ago.

Your next renewal will contain the letter from HMPO which you will need to take to Surin Immigration office to facilitate the transfer of the stamps.

On 2/26/2023 at 8:39 PM, Maybole said:

I would put that in the category of a miracle if you actually managed to penetrate their brains.

• Like 2