Anutin rejects Chuwit’s claims about Bangkok’s mass transit Orange line and Bhumjaithai’s odds

webfact

image.jpeg

Whistleblower Chuwit Kamolvisit made his presence felt outside Government House on Wednesday as his anti-corruption campaign took aim at the Orange line infrastructure project in Bangkok overseen by the Ministry of Transport and which is already the subject of an Administrative Court lawsuit related to the bidding process for the western segment of the line. Deputy Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul, speaking later to reporters, described the comments made by Mr Chuwit suggesting irregularity and monies diverted from the project were targeted at the Bhumjaithai Party which oversees the key ministry with Minister of Transport Saksayam Chidchob being the party’s Secretary-general.

by Joseph O' Connor

Chuwit arrived at Government House on Wednesday and waved the Thai flag before being invited inside to meet Prime Minister Prayut Chan ocha. His latest revelation comes as his campaign has begun to pivot more and more towards examining officials in government after his campaign led to the smashing of a Chinese triad network in Thailand which has raised corruption to the top of the political agenda just before the economy.

Minister of Public Health Anutin Charnvirakul, on Saturday, campaigning in Phatthalung, played down claims by Mr Chuwit Kamolvisit that the Bhumjaithai Party will not win seats in Bangkok in the forthcoming General Election after earlier in the week suggesting that allegations of graft linked with the Bangkok mass transit Orange Line were an indirect attack on his party as it oversees the Ministry of Transport.

Deputy Prime Minister Anutin, on Thursday last, put it up to whistleblower extraordinaire Chuwit Kamolvisit to back up claims made by the activist suggesting impropriety in the bidding process for a ฿140 billion mass transit project connecting Bangkok’s Thailand Cultural Centre with the Bang Khun Non sub-district of Bangkok Noi on the west of the city as part of the Orange line in the city’s mass transit plan.

Full story: https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-news-foreigners/2023/02/25/anutin-plays-down-chuwit-corruption-claims-orange-line-bangkok/

Tex.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Examiner 2023-02-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

33 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

There is alot of room for a whistle-blower here. The extent of the likely corruption and rot under Anutin, Cha Cha and the toxic Thai army would likely boggle the mind. Exposing them can only be good for the nation. It requires alot of nerve, of which Chuwit does not seem to be lacking. 

Even though it's a bit of a show, hopefully something positive might come of it.

The boulder growing substantially - if more get behind the movement. 

Off with all the rascal's heads

20 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

30 billion baht can be sucked off so easily,

But it must go somewhere.  I thought the law of 'being/becoming unusually rich' was meant to stop this.  All senior figures should be forced to reveal their assets; that includes officials in the police/armed forces; politicians; the Business world and Prawit.

• Love It 1

3 hours ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

He has a right to his opinion but as health minister why does he feel compelled to comment other than CYA and possible run for prime minister...?

He's defending his party, BJT, and his fellow party member Saksayam Chidchob, the minister of transport.

Some would argue that NOT pilfering from the MoT budget would be cause for dismissal based in incompetence.

There was a party last week of 7 days in a temple for a ordination of a monk with the music so loud that we couldn't hear ou own tv, while the temple is 500 meters away... My partner said it is a rich family we can't do anything about it...... and we met a person who is working at a high position in the local government here and she said , that she was also very annoyed with the loud music, but they couldn't do anything... I wonder how much the organizer had paid as he is rich and it seems they have all rights..... Just a example of corruption, as even government officals can't interfere, while a whole neighbourhood is being terrorized by this family

• Like 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

suggesting that allegations of graft linked with the Bangkok mass transit Orange Line were an indirect attack on his party as it oversees the Ministry of Transport.

Interesting! I wonder who were the eventual contractors for the Orange Line - Sino Thai by any chance??

2 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Interesting! I wonder who were the eventual contractors for the Orange Line - Sino Thai by any chance??

BEM (Bangkok Expressway and Metro PLC) won the bid over Italian-Thai, by bidding quite a bit LESS than Ital-Thai.

Shenanigans are possible through the usual routes, mostly kick-backs and overcharges and delays. But on this one it may be the land/property buy-back that is "curious", and has caught Chuwit's attention?

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Many thanks for answering my question.

I was referring to the new western section. Which is what, I think, Chuwit is talking about.

The eastern section, which is nearing completion, is what Forza2002 posted about.

• Thanks 1