Industry Ministry seeks help to curb sugarcane burning

snoop1130

On 2/27/2023 at 11:06 AM, blackcab said:

Punish millers severely for buying burnt cane and the problem would not exist.

Incorrect.....the leaves would be cut off the cane and then burnt on the ground......in fact it is unusual to see sugarcane burnt as it stands these days.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/27/2023 at 11:32 AM, zzaa09 said:

As raw cane leftovers doesn't decay or decompose very fast [reasons why they don't sow it back into the ground], it might be wise for this particular ministry, and the farmers, to set up waste collection stations where such post-harvest materials can be turned into a mulchy mix and eventually distributed as an additive to all farmers in the area. 

Wouldn't be terribly costly - across the board - as everyone [farmers, govt, whomever] pitches in to contribute to the benefit of the local commons.

Farmers would need to be earning as much doing that as they earn from harvesting a crop or they won't do it.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2023 at 12:34 PM, edwinchester said:

Bit harsh on the growers who don't want to burn but have their crop torched by the cutting team who just want to do a quick job and move on to the next.

Easiest solution is to make it illegal to buy burnt cane. The problem would disappear overnight.

Very little is burnt as it stands in the fields......labour rates are so low and the price of burnt cane so low it is more profitable to strip the leaves and burn them as the lie in the field.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Farmers would need to be earning as much doing that as they earn from harvesting a crop or they won't do it.

Yes, of course.

The whole process seems to contradict itself. 

Either figure it out or don't grow sugarcane. 

• Like 1

On 2/27/2023 at 8:44 PM, zzaa09 said:

A positive and constructive note, but the downside is that the overwhelming percentage of cane farmers can't even imagine to afford such a decent practice.........unless acting as a collective along with govt subsidies. 

It is like I said the big growers, a guy we know has 500 rie of cane brought a machine, so I was told, from our local sugar mill ,1.5 million baht, another grower I know he has 50 rie gets the big growers in to cut and haul his cane to the mill they own machine and truck to haul the cane  this year they are charging 380 baht/ton ,he is getting about 1050 baht /ton, depending on sugar contain .

They are some subsidies the mill will pay an extra 50-baht ton on top of the basic price, for the past 2 years the government has paid an extra 100 baht/ton on top of basic price, but so far not this year.

Remember world crude oil prices are still volatile, the government will want all the cane it can get, the by-product molasses is used to make ethyl alcohol,our local mill has plant that makes it, that makes  gashole for all our vehicles, the more gashole produced less crude oil imports. better balance of payments ,I cannot see things changing overnight.

By the way it is the owners of the crop that burn the cane, not the cutters, they just do the job, and get paid as well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/27/2023 at 12:37 PM, edwinchester said:

It's not cheaper. My wife's friend makes more money selling an unburnt crop. It's the cutting teams who want to burn as it's quicker to do the job so they move onto the next and make more money.

Does burning the standing cane reduce the amount of sap? 

11 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Very little is burnt as it stands in the fields......labour rates are so low and the price of burnt cane so low it is more profitable to strip the leaves and burn them as the lie in the field.

Where we live almost everything is burnt as it's standing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Does burning the standing cane reduce the amount of sap? 

No idea, just know that wifeys friend says that she gets a better price for unburnt sugarcane when she sells to the factory. I believe factory costs are higher for burnt cane as it needs more cleaning before processing.

On 2/28/2023 at 1:26 PM, spidermike007 said:

Exactly. It is money over health. Money over the well being of the masses. Money over change and progress. 

Ultimately, the choice to burn sugarcane comes down to money: leaving leaf trash attached to the canes means hauling more material to the processing plant. This requires more trips and more time in processing, which is expensive. Other green harvesting methods, like removing trash in the field, require additional equipment and attention, both of which cut into profits.

https://foodprint.org/blog/sugarcane-burning/

Yep. Like pretty much every commodity we produce and trade it comes down to money. Profit margins are narrow anyway and physically removing it takes more time and hard work.  So burning seems to be a winner and when the density of sugar cane farms was much less, 20 odd years ago you could get away with it 

Air pollution has a financial impact. I read somewhere that something like 300'000 people went to hospital with respiratory complaints on a single day of particularly bad pollution in Bangkok this year..

Maybe the solution is some form of government assisted clearance program. The farmer pays the government a fee. Equal to the usual burning cost. And the government sends in a clearance team who remove and package the cane. 

Wow, I've never seen entire fields set ablaze like that. We live near Khon Kaen. Here the leaves are hacked off and only the cane sticks are taken in. They won't be accepted otherwise. Also, only the leaves are burned on the ground to provide fertilizer. Wife says it works very well. We drove by the huge Mitr Phol factor in KK last week, and saw the huge queue of loaded trucks waiting to dump their loads. I didn't see any burnt cane, don't think it's accepted.

Get your cane in now, posted prices are now are 1700 baht a ton.

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme
  • Like 2

Somethings take time and here in Thailand, maybe a long time. But here where I live north of Korat, I haven't seen a truck hauling burnt cane this year. All have been loaded with those short cut pieces. Only one morning did I see burnt leaves outside that meant someone burned at night.

Edited by bunnydrops
typo

43 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Wow, I've never seen entire fields set ablaze like that. We live near Khon Kaen. Here the leaves are hacked off and only the cane sticks are taken in. They won't be accepted otherwise. Also, only the leaves are burned on the ground to provide fertilizer. Wife says it works very well. We drove by the huge Mitr Phol factor in KK last week, and saw the huge queue of loaded trucks waiting to dump their loads. I didn't see any burnt cane, don't think it's accepted.

Get your cane in now, posted prices are now are 1700 baht a ton.

The burnt leafy material does offer nutrients to the soil - that's why they've been going through the motions forever. 

Could imagine that the same leaf waste could be processed into an ever richer mulch mix....

SOLUTION:

All sugar cane must have leaves left on and the processors (the ones making a fortune at the expense of the farmers) have to strip the leaves and then.......???......mulch them, put into landfill, bundle them, find some use for them....???

Only on-cost, ignoring what the processors would have to do, would be an increase in transport costs. 

It's not only burning sugar cane ,up here in the North they are burning

the forest undergrowth up in the hills ,so when the raining season starts,

they can easier see the Mushrooms that they collect, its the same ever

year, never heard of one arsonist been arrested ,they need to catch a

few ,give them prison time , so the rest know this is not acceptable ,it's

damaging people's health ,and must affect the tourist industry .....

regards worgeordie

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

It's not only burning sugar cane ,up here in the North they are burning

the forest undergrowth up in the hills ,so when the raining season starts,

they can easier see the Mushrooms that they collect, its the same ever

year, never heard of one arsonist been arrested ,they need to catch a

few ,give them prison time , so the rest know this is not acceptable ,it's

damaging people's health ,and must affect the tourist industry .....

regards worgeordie

Selling these mushrooms need to become an illegal act. They are (thanks to the arsonists) a hazard for society. 

• Like 2

The main problem is ALL are here involved, that's why they don't change a S$$t. CP, bla bla bla...all the guys who run this country are in this. and they are lightgassing us that "yes, we made a law for burning...we are discussing,...we have a meeting with a Air scientist from US,....

But nothing will change... rains will come, clean the air...and till next year where this story will repeat.