Looks like Argentina is planning to take Islas Malvinas, (Falkland Islands) back.

4 minutes ago, simon43 said:

This might not end well.  Britain's navy is now severely depleted and no PM was as tough as Maggie.  I'm sure the Argies know this and realise that they can take the Falklands by force and Britain will be unable to do anything about it.

And anyway. It says they want to renegotiate. Not try and retake the islands. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

And anyway. It says they want to renegotiate. Not try and retake the islands. 

Population of The Falkland Islands voted to remain part of the United Kingdom. Anyway, it doesn't matter even if UK had no Navy. NATO has to back-up any member nation if invaded.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Well... to be fair, If Argentina owned the Shetland Islands Scotland many would see a very fair claim from Scotland, particularly if Scotland has always historically laid claim. 

To the independent observer it would only seem fair that the Islands are returned to Argentina. 

Obviously there is a ‘human’ side to this thus a prolonged handover would seem reasonable.

OR... We just go to war again over some land half the size of wales with the population of a village some 13,000 km away...  27x further than the Patagonian mainland. 

Valid points Richard! At the time we thought 'The Falklands' was going to be a mere skirmish with a very rapid conclusion with Argentina quickly withdrawing when they realised we were serious.   

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Well... to be fair, If Argentina owned the Shetland Islands, many would see a very fair claim from Scotland, particularly if Scotland has always historically laid claim. 

To the independent observer it would only seem fair that the Islands are returned to Argentina. 

Obviously there is a ‘human’ side to this thus a prolonged handover would seem reasonable.

OR... We just go to war again over a ‘fishing island’ with no other resources, half the size of wales with the population of a village some 13,000 km away...  27x further than the Patagonian mainland. 

Why should the UK hand over the Islands with all its natural and mineral resources ?

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, norfolkandchance said:

Why should the UK hand over the Islands with all its natural and mineral resources ?

It is complicated, to say the least. Stolen by colonials (Spanish), not part of Argentina when became independent, then stolen by Britain and a number of Argentinian inhabitants expelled. Vast majority of present inhabitants wish to remain Brits. Who are the actual original owners? 

20 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Returned to Argentina? That's impossible.

The Falklands have never been Argentinian.

Well, a few French lived there before the British laid claim in about 1833...  

So the French may have laid claim before that...   but before that the Spanish passed on Las Malvinas to the Argentinians in circa 1800.... 

so... I think you’re just avinalaff.... :clap2:

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Sad 1

If I'm not mistaken the reason the UK wanted to hang on to those islands was because oil reserves were suspected nearby. Now those islands are only a dead loss. If I were the Argentines I'd let the UK pay until the cows come home to maintain the life-line.

• Sad 3

The UK will never stop paying.

36 minutes ago, JackGats said:

If I'm not mistaken the reason the UK wanted to hang on to those islands was because oil reserves were suspected nearby. Now those islands are only a dead loss. If I were the Argentines I'd let the UK pay until the cows come home to maintain the life-line.