Thailand’s transport minister Saksayam ordered to cease performing his duty

snoop1130

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

And long may it continue ! 

Many problems can be made to disappear here, for the price of a good night out back home.    Money makes the world go round and corruption is in no way unique to Thailand or Asia. 

Many westerners moving here  have difficulty accepting this concept. They think that corruption does not exist "back home"    It does.    However the "system" has ensured that this advantageous method of achieving ones objectives is out of reach of "normal" people, It operates at a much higher level,  Its difficult to make contact with the necessary people ,  (government ministers, police chiefs etc. etc ) and the amounts of money required are  way too high.

Social engineering, and petty jealousy  have  ensured that those who don't have enough money to avail themselves of this practice are generally not in favour of it.  An example would be the scorn poured on people who pay money to jump hospital waiting lists by "going private"   or who choose to pay money to provide a better education for their kids.  The criticism, understandably,  always comes from those to poor to play the game, and who feel that they are missing out 

But this is not  "back home"  and nobody needs to feel they are missing out,  thankfully corruption is much more accessible here and  its often quite reasonably priced , when compared to the alternative.  Many difficult situations can  be made less difficult if one is prepared to play the game and  be a little "generous " when required. 

People  can huff and puff with righteous indignation all they  like but they will be doing it from  " the back of the queue"  or as they return home without their visa extension or whatever.    They should spend more time trying to  assimilate into this fascinating aspect of  Thai "culture"  but if , like price haggling at the market, they just can't bring themselves to do it, then they should  leave it to the missis (but i suggest setting a limit first) 

This is the best answer I have seen to explain how it works here and in Asia generally. Having been here for 24 years I can affirm that this is how it is and the advice is good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob has been ordered by the Constitutional Court to cease performing his duty,

I've seen very little evidence that he has been performing his duty in years.

15 hours ago, MikeandDow said:

Does Thailand have any honest people , seems not all you see is Thais running scams,  Thai corruption, its all over Thailand is becoming a State of scams and corruption from top to bottom .

Constantly!

It's not new unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, ChrisKC said:

Tell me what he has actually been doing for how many years. 

Well, he partied at Krystal Club, Thonglor during lockdown, got Covid and then likely spread it around because "sharing is caring".

Other than that I don't know...

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jack Cook said:

Obviously not. It seems the same the world over.

The difference is that the soldiers and politicians who are running this country do not have the brains or knowhow to work their way around corruption the way the UK government and probably other western governments have.

21 hours ago, transam said:

Well at least this bloke has been called out, though I would have thought his money making investments would have been common knowledge to gov folk..:whistling:

guilty for not sharing 

8 hours ago, jesimps said:

It's just that here corruption is a way of life and mostly a blind eye is turned to it, whereas in the west, it's much better policed.

I came to Thailand to live and work in 1997 - and the very first headline I read was a public outcry against the corruption at the airport and the docks. It seemed that the public were taking a stand against the indemic corruption.

But then, reading further, this was not the case at all.

The outcry was about the amount of the bribes - it was far more expensive to pay-off the officials at the airport than it was at the docks, and the Thai public were furious about this - they demanded that the bribes ought to be the same in both places.

This is Thailand. Nothing much chages. 

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 1

"Section 187 of the Constitution, a minister cannot hold a stake in or be involved in the management of a business" Wish we had a law like that in my home country, USA. Not only did 45th own business, he also personally sent profits his way by staying at his business properties and racking up huge profits.... $151 million spent on his little trips and golf outings...

On 3/3/2023 at 4:31 PM, snoop1130 said:

54 opposition MPs, alleging that the minister is the owner of Buri Charoen Construction Limited Partnership.

So This could be the reason he concentrates his efforts on 'improving' Airports. Personally I would have sacked him a long time ago, for letting the carnage on the roads to continue unabated.

On 3/4/2023 at 6:47 AM, spidermike007 said:

It is likely that every minister here would be fired, if they investigated them. The stench is obscene. If not for corruption, than for malfeasance or inability to perform the job effectively, like in the case of Anutin, Prayuth, Prawit, Phiphat, or the Big Joke. 

It's my belief that they wear the "C" as a badge of success.I think the regular working Thais look up to them.